Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by xzibit
I was planning on changing all my money when I go over at the end of the Summer, but that was when it was back at 1.9 last year. And I was annoyed at that rate.

Now, I'm planning on changing enough to see me through 6 months, and hopefully then I would have found some kind of employment, and can support myself on that income.

Then, in a few months/years/decades when the rate picks back up towards the 2.0 area, I will think about bringing it across. It may go down, and I may lose out, but history shows that it generally goes back up eventually.
Well said Xzibit. Thats exactly what I'm doing and seems the logical thing to do. As far as I know re time limit some say its 6 months (although this could be heresay) but you don't really need to adhere to it. Just transfer over < $10k each time. Anymore and the receiving bank has to let the tax office know. So e.g for $100k make 11 transfers of $9k. They cannot monitor every little payment that goes through and I work in banking. Thats what I'll be doing anyway. And millions of people do it too. Lets hope we don't get the usual drama queens on here telling you its 'illegal' 'immoral' blah blah blah ;-)

Last edited by itxrd; Mar 3rd 2010 at 12:51 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by itxrd
Well said Xzibit. Thats exactly what I'm doing and seems the logical thing to do. As far as I know re time limit some say its 6 months (although this could be heresay) but you don't really need to adhere to it. Just transfer over < $10k each time. Anymore and the receiving bank has to let the tax office know. So e.g for $100k make 11 transfers of $9k. They cannot monitor every little payment that goes through and I work in banking. Thats what I'll be doing anyway. And millions of people do it too. Lets hope we don't get the usual drama queens on here telling you its 'illegal' 'immoral' blah blah blah ;-)
Yes I imagine I will do it that way, or get someone to transfer it in some method to avoid paying tax on it. I won't be telling anyone in Australia about my money left in the UK either, and I may even put it into my Mother's account in the UK, then technically I won't have any money in my name.

There's ways and means, I pay enough damn tax, and the exchange rate means I'm losing quite a bit, so like hell will I pay it to send my money across and lose even more.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I imagine I will do it that way, or get someone to transfer it in some method to avoid paying tax on it. I won't be telling anyone in Australia about my money left in the UK either, and I may even put it into my Mother's account in the UK, then technically I won't have any money in my name.

There's ways and means, I pay enough damn tax, and the exchange rate means I'm losing quite a bit, so like hell will I pay it to send my money across and lose even more.
I'm no fan of taxation and structure my buisness accordingly but I'd want to tread carefully with plans like the above. I'll be taking professional advice before committing to any course of action, in general I am in favor of moving my money in stages though, for the reasons you outline.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by freebo
I'm no fan of taxation and structure my buisness accordingly but I'd want to tread carefully with plans like the above. I'll be taking professional advice before committing to any course of action, in general I am in favor of moving my money in stages though, for the reasons you outline.
I don't think they will worry with the amount of money I will be moving lol

I'm not rich, only have what I've saved since leaving school 9 years ago, and not very well. But I still want to maximise what I get at the other end.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Here here. Down with the taxman!!!

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Yes, I've heard about that. 6 months isn't it? But surely if my Mother sent me the money as a birthday present, I wouldn't have to pay tax on it?

6 months I think.
The 6 month limit that people often quote is ONLY for bringing over superannuaton funds.

In theory any other capital gain on foreign exchange should be declared and hence taxed!!!

There have been a number of threads on this topic.

Charlie
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are okay on tax if the money is from the sale of your principle place of residence - so you'd have to prove it i.e. letter of sale from solicitor. However, if you move it over and make a gain on the forex then you'd probably have to pay tax on it.

For instance when we became tax resident the forex rate was 2.48 (oh those heady days.....) but we've brought our house funds over at 1.80 so no forex gain but if you we waited until it goes up to 3.00 () then you will be liable for a forex CGT.

But you'd still have to pay tax on the interest whilst it's still sitting in your bank account in the UK (interest, what interest!) but then you will have paid UK tax and this is set against your Aussie tax as the UK/Aus have a dual taxation agreement in place.

If you are talking about a lot of money then best to seek financial advice.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
I have to say that moving the amounts over in $9,999 increments to 'fool' the taxman was a cunning ploy and might have some merit
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:16 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
I think you are okay on tax if the money is from the sale of your principle place of residence - so you'd have to prove it i.e. letter of sale from solicitor. However, if you move it over and make a gain on the forex then you'd probably have to pay tax on it.

For instance when we became tax resident the forex rate was 2.48 (oh those heady days.....) but we've brought our house funds over at 1.80 so no forex gain but if you we waited until it goes up to 3.00 () then you will be liable for a forex CGT.

But you'd still have to pay tax on the interest whilst it's still sitting in your bank account in the UK (interest, what interest!) but then you will have paid UK tax and this is set against your Aussie tax as the UK/Aus have a dual taxation agreement in place.

If you are talking about a lot of money then best to seek financial advice.

Hi KoalaKim,

Have you not made a Forex loss in your case, which you could use to offset any tax liabilities that you have already got in Australia - Income tax for example?

S
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:25 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hi KoalaKim,

Have you not made a Forex loss in your case, which you could use to offset any tax liabilities that you have already got in Australia - Income tax for example?

S
I'm not sure about income tax, but maybe it can be used to offset a future capital gain.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there is something we can do but I'm not sure what it is! A friend did explain but it was very complicated and I thought I'd leave it until we talk to the accountant for the next tax return!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by koalakim
Yes, there is something we can do but I'm not sure what it is! A friend did explain but it was very complicated and I thought I'd leave it until we talk to the accountant for the next tax return!
look forward to hearing what happens there KK, been so much talk of this tax on exchange rate 'profits' but I have spent hours reading through threads and still never found anyone saying they had paid this tax????

PS: I just got back from week in Egypt on holiday and OMG 1.66!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:47 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCro
look forward to hearing what happens there KK, been so much talk of this tax on exchange rate 'profits' but I have spent hours reading through threads and still never found anyone saying they had paid this tax????

PS: I just got back from week in Egypt on holiday and OMG 1.66!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Look on the brightside. It dropped to 1.64
Old Mar 7th 2010, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Centurion
Look on the brightside. It dropped to 1.64
I was too busy with my head stuck down an Egyptian bog for 3 days to worry about forex last week!

Like your new photo Centurion!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:56 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCro
I was too busy with my head stuck down an Egyptian bog for 3 days to worry about forex last week!

Like your new photo Centurion!
Why thank you. It amused me. I lived in Egypt briefly. After a while I think your stomach just gives up but it takes at least a dozen bouts of food poisoning sadly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.