Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:28 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by bcworld
I honestly don't find Melbourne traffic that bad...Brisbane was far, far worse.

If I drive from St Kilda to my office in South Melbourne (about 4kms away) it generally takes about 10 minutes. I can imagine it getting a bit hairy between there and Docklands though.
10min drive to work?! sounds pretty sweet.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:32 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
10min drive to work?! sounds pretty sweet.
Maybe that's what someone paid $783k for!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't find Melbourne traffic that bad...Brisbane was far, far worse.

If I drive from St Kilda to my office in South Melbourne (about 4kms away) it generally takes about 10 minutes. I can imagine it getting a bit hairy between there and Docklands though.

I guess in that particular area you have pretty good public transport options that take the pressure off

One of my nightmares is the north coast to bris run, once you hit the massive suburban estates on the fringe of bris in peak, cars just continue to pour out into 2 lanes and one blown tyre let alone an accident puts you in a crawl, we actually moved at 3klm an hour last trip to bris. The previous week it was like that for about half an hour.

Usually I can avoid peak however those trips had me swearing
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Steve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to all

Get down deeper and down
Down down deeper and down
Get down deeper and down

I want all the world to see
To see youre laughing
And youre laughing at me
I can take it all from you
Again again again again again again again
Deeper and down
Get down deeper and down
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by freebo
Its the pound that's weak more than the AUD thats strong (although it is also), any number of reasons all of which are bad for the pound, and I don't see it changing anytime soon.
I'm not sure I agree with this. Today against the AU$ the pound slid a massive 1.12%. Yet against the Euro and US$ it only went down 0.18-0.35%. I would argue that it is the strength of the AU$ that is particularly killing the £/AU$ exchange rate at the moment. There has been suggestion of an October recovery for the £ but we're looking at at least 6 - 12 months I reckon.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:48 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 77hil
I'm not sure I agree with this. Today against the AU$ the pound slid a massive 1.12%. Yet against the Euro and US$ it only went down 0.18-0.35%. I would argue that it is the strength of the AU$ that is particularly killing the £/AU$ exchange rate at the moment. .
Correct. The Aus economy continues to operate at polar opposites to the UK economy.

Australian Dollar Outlook Mar 10
http://ibtimes.com.au/articles/20100...ar-outlook.htm

"Australia's NAB business survey for February indicated genuine confidence in the business sector but the big result, the huge result, the truly stunning result was the ANZ job ads which rose an incredible 19% in February, which was an incredible follow up from January's 8.1% decline."

"These levels are amazing considering what is happening in the US and Europe, and with full employment at anywhere near 5%, places Australia in a strong position."
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:56 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Correct. The Aus economy continues to operate at polar opposites to the UK economy.
That is perhaps a slightly unfair assessment...there have been some good numbers coming out of the UK too.

UK retail sales rebound in February

Retail sales bounced back in February after a tough January on the High Street, figures from the British Retail Consortium (BRC) showed.

Like-for-like sales were up 2.2%, the BRC said, compared the 0.7% fall seen in January, when snow put off shoppers.

Service sector growth hits 'three-year high'

The Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS) index rose to 58.4 from 54.5 the previous month, its highest since January 2007.

"It's a staggering rise which suggests the services sector in the UK is in rude health," said David Page at Investec.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 12:05 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

That is perhaps a slightly unfair assessment...there have been some good numbers coming out of the UK too.
That's a fair comment.
'polar opposites' may have been a bit overdramatising - mea culpa !

I guess the issue, and specifically for anyone looking for a better GBP/AUD rate, is that however the figures are improving in the UK, they just seem to be overshadowed and outstripped by what is going on here.
Before the rate between the 2 countries can be realistically be expected to signifigantly change, the AUS economy will have to take a big jump backwards and the UK economy a big jump forwards.

There simply is not much out there to indicate that will happen anytime in the coming year.

Recent articles like this one coming out of the UK as an example...
Trade deficit soars to £8bn highest level since July 2006
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ince-july-2006

"Economists agreed that there is so far little evidence that the decline in the pound is helping the UK to compete. Colin Ellis, of Daiwa Capital Markets, said, "there is still no sign of the UK transforming into an export-led economy any time soon… in terms of GDP during 2010, it is increasingly looking like net trade may not provide that much impetus to growth after all."

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Mar 10th 2010 at 12:13 am.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 12:41 am
Just Joined

fromdownunder has a spectacular aura aboutfromdownunder has a spectacular aura aboutfromdownunder has a spectacular aura about

Looks like its dropping like a stone!!

http://www.hifx.com.au/marketwatch/c...ical_data.aspx
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:13 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

Originally Posted by fromdownunder

It surely appears to be nudging inexorably all the time towards 1.60.
Last October, just under 6 months ago, in the "1.76" thread, we were jokingly taking predictions as to where to next.

Although the freefall at the time seemed to have reached stability at about the 1.80 level, quite a few felt that the bottom would be at the 1.60 mark.

At 1.635, it's certainly getting close now. Volatile days ahead for sure.
Attached Thumbnails 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!-17-02-2010-11.26.09-am10-03-2010-1.06.12-pm.png  
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fromdownunder

To quote a former Labour prime minister....

"It does not mean that the pound here in Britain, in your pocket or purse or in your bank, has been devalued."

Prime Minister Harold Wilson 19th Nov 1967

This was said after his government had to devalue the Pound by 14% after spending 200 Million GBP in a failed effort to support it.

The present Labour government has poured over 200 Billion Pounds of 'support' into the UK economy, and despite their best efforts, the GBP has still devalued by almost 25% in the last year.

How low can it go ?

I Predicted 1.5, but with almost all the worlds money markets selling the GBP short, I just don't see any bottom to the Pounds market.

How long before the UK has to call in the IMF and the party really starts ?
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:36 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by koalakim
A couple of Monday's ago we had to get to Docklands (Mellie) and took over 2 hours from Mornington and an hour of that was from St Kilda! Not far away for non-Mellie folks.

After living in Mellie for 3 years I now loath traffic lights and junctions!
Stop being tight and take the toll road

Last edited by MartinLuther; Mar 10th 2010 at 1:39 am.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

What and spend even more time in the Monash car park getting to the toll section?!
Old Mar 10th 2010, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

I'm calling a bottom at $1.63 and have bought a load of pounds. It's time for the Aussie chooks to come home to roost.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/chi...ary-2010-03-09
Old Mar 10th 2010, 4:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

These are interesting times.

Selling my house here in Perth now would realise a lot of GBP in hand (no mortgage)@1.63. Doing some sums, I could buy a nice house with half and have enough left over to sem-retire - in my mid-40's.

How often do these opportunities arise in life?

Very interesting times indeed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.