Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by swigski
If you really need to ask that question, is there any point trying to explain??
is this the whole point of a forum ? no question is stupid. I could ask you questions & I expect you would not know the answer but I would give you the answer if you asked or do you not know the answer to martinluther question ?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:55 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

If you really need to ask that question, is there any point trying to explain??
There is a point. It's so I can find out why you think the size of the stimulus is important. It may be obvious to you but I can't get a grip on your point unless you use something more tangible than a patronising throwaway.

To me the size of the stimulus is not as important as the size of the deficit. If person A starts with 100 and spends 200 they are still better off than someone who starts with -50 and spends 150. The first person spent more than the second but I'd still say they were better off.

So would you care to enlighten us mortals?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:32 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I'd like to know too. I can't see the relevance to the exchange rate.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:46 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

There is a point. It's so I can find out why you think the size of the stimulus is important. It may be obvious to you but I can't get a grip on your point unless you use something more tangible than a patronising throwaway.

To me the size of the stimulus is not as important as the size of the deficit. If person A starts with 100 and spends 200 they are still better off than someone who starts with -50 and spends 150. The first person spent more than the second but I'd still say they were better off.

Australia has tackled the GFC by giving people direct payments.
For the plan to work it is necessary that people receiving these rebates go out and consume right away. However such a plan is only a minor fix and will end up exacerbating the original problem that caused this recession: debt.

How does a plan help in which the government encourages the people to go further into debt by buying a new television, computer or DVD player? Also, it has encouraged thousands of FHB to enter the property market at a time when interest rates are at EMERGENCY lows with the increased buyers(sorry sellers) grant!

Temporarily there will be a surge in profits and sales, but as soon as monthly payments for product with low down payments and high interest rates are due we will see how the economy does then. My prediction is not too good.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:47 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Originally Posted by eugene43
is this the whole point of a forum ? no question is stupid. I could ask you questions & I expect you would not know the answer but I would give you the answer if you asked or do you not know the answer to martinluther question ?
If I could understand that I would reply!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:11 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

I noticed The Australian was trying its best not to notice when it said "the Rudd Government's $42 billion fiscal stimulus package - large as it is by international standards"

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...8-7583,00.html
yes but i live in WA,anything slightly controversal gets cut out by the newsagent before i buy the paper,i have to rely on well informed peeps like you to bring it to my attention
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:13 am
ABCDiamond

For the plan to work it is necessary that people receiving these rebates go out and consume right away. However such a plan is only a minor fix and will end up exacerbating the original problem that caused this recession: debt.

How does a plan help in which the government encourages the people to go further into debt by buying a new television, computer or DVD player? Also, it has encouraged thousands of FHB to enter the property market at a time when interest rates are at EMERGENCY lows with the increased buyers(sorry sellers) grant!

Temporarily there will be a surge in profits and sales, but as soon as monthly payments for product with low down payments and high interest rates are due we will see how the economy does then. My prediction is not too good.
But if these people used the grants to buy things, then they don't have the debt you mention.

It has also been reported that Australians have been reducing credit card debt. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...17/2689420.htm
Sep 18, 2009
Reserve Bank statistics show credit cards are being paid off at the fastest rate on record.
Therefore the things you have mentioned may not actually be happening.

Australia was also very fortunate to have a massive surplus at the beginning of the GFC, which they were able to use to keep us out of trouble.

But also, remember what the cause of the GFC was... Non Performing Housing Loans ? Australia was not really affected by this, when compared to other countries.

Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:21 am
Account Closed

But the main affect of the stimulus has been to transfer private debt to public debt. Now, given that Aus started in the black the larger stimulus in Aus has not pushed Aus more into the red than the UK or US or pretty much anyone else apart from Canada.

As for the impending doom predictions I suspect they hold as much water as the predictions that the GFC is going to hit Aus sometime later than the rest of the developed world because it takes time for the effects to reach us from the UK and US. (Presumably because it's on a slow boat somewhere on the high seas.)

The biggest danger now is that all the extra money sloshing around will cause inflation. Although that is countered by the strong dollar (bingo - there's the connection to the exchange rate).

What is reassuring from reading the UK and Aus press is that Aus seems to have planned for the worst case senario and things have turned out better than expected whilst the UK has planned for the best case scenario and things are not working as well as they hoped. But then again maybe the Aus press just has it's head in the sand
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Catch
yes but i live in WA,anything slightly controversal gets cut out by the newsagent before i buy the paper,i have to rely on well informed peeps like you to bring it to my attention
Good point. The WA press does seem to exhibit a lot of the foibles raised by many a Brit
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:30 am
Banned

But the main affect of the stimulus has been to transfer private debt to public debt. Now, given that Aus started in the black the larger stimulus in Aus has not pushed Aus more into the red than the UK or US or pretty much anyone else apart from Canada.

As for the impending doom predictions I suspect they hold as much water as the predictions that the GFC is going to hit Aus sometime later than the rest of the developed world because it takes time for the effects to reach us from the UK and US. (Presumably because it's on a slow boat somewhere on the high seas.)

The biggest danger now is that all the extra money sloshing around will cause inflation. Although that is countered by the strong dollar (bingo - there's the connection to the exchange rate).

What is reassuring from reading the UK and Aus press is that Aus seems to have planned for the worst case senario and things have turned out better than expected whilst the UK has planned for the best case scenario and things are not working as well as they hoped. But then again maybe the Aus press just has it's head in the sand
Maybe it does!

Anyway, it'll all come out in the wash when the slow boat arrives.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But if these people used the grants to buy things, then they don't have the debt you mention.

No, but they have artificially stimulated the economy short term and many have used money as down payments.

It has also been reported that Australians have been reducing credit card debt. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...17/2689420.htm

This is due to people now taking on board what happens when you take on too much credit

Therefore the things you have mentioned may not actually be happening.

Then again, the things the press like us to believe may not be happening

Australia was also very fortunate to have a massive surplus at the beginning of the GFC, which they were able to use to keep us out of trouble.

True, LUCKY. How long can it remain fortunate though?

But also, remember what the cause of the GFC was... Non Performing Housing Loans ? Australia was not really affected by this, when compared to other countries.

It will be when the rising int rates hit the new home owners

http://www.abcdiamond.com/australia/...sing-loans.JPG
t
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:01 pm
ABCDiamond

This is due to people now taking on board what happens when you take on too much credit
You mean that Australians are now being sensible about Debt ?

Credit Card Debt Comparisons

The average American household with a credit card held $10,679 in credit card debt at the end of 2008.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8009299.stm

The average UK adult owns nearly 2.5 credit cards and has debts on those approaching £2,300
http://www.bbc.co.uk/northamptonshir..._feature.shtml

The average Australian credit card balance in July 2009 was $3,106
http://www.smh.com.au/business/credi...0917-fssg.html

Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

The average American household with a credit card held $10,679 in credit card debt at the end of 2008.

The average UK adult owns nearly 2.5 credit cards and has debts on those approaching £2,300

But if the exchange rate hits 1.35 then Aussies will be more in debt than the Brits and the world will explode. We're all doomed.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:16 pm
Banned

I mean that people who are able to are choosing to reduce their debt levels. For most low income earner, the struggle continues!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:30 pm
ABCDiamond

I mean that people who are able to are choosing to reduce their debt levels. For most low income earner, the struggle continues!
Nothing changes on that then... it just continues..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.