Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why do I Want to Return to the US

Why do I Want to Return to the US

Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do I Want to Return to the US

Originally Posted by Manc
No. remember honeymommy, her hubby was laid off on an L1b and was basically given days to leave the USA.
Isn't the OP still with the same company...just thinking about leaving?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 5:07 pm
In sunny Calif

Red Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by krizzy
I'm a full time baby minder..gardener...house keeper...shopper...accountant...painter...wood floor restorer.. shingle repairer...you name it I do it...
But are you an expat or a US citizen.

I'm here due to OH's job - so family are not here, permanent house is not here (rented normally but in hotel suite just now) , my quals are not recognised so can't work.

I do all the above in the UK plus work part time.

In Texas there is so much very cheap labour that no one does house repairs etc.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 5:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Isn't the OP still with the same company...just thinking about leaving?
I thought he said he'd already left, for the UK...so think he might have troubles moving back using the same visa...
Old Sep 26th 2006, 5:14 pm
In sunny Calif

Red Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
OK

I live in the South, women here seem to have just as much as men to do - how old are you lot? This silk flower arranging thing is not something I have seen myself. Have you set up the WI of Scunthorpe in FL?

My wife just finished law school and has now started a landscaping course at the local community college. I think you can always find something to do

Older women we know do a lot of volunteer work (if they don't have a full time job themselves)
yes, I'm planning to start studying just to keep my brain going - I work when in the Uk.
I hadn't expected to be here more than a couple of years so long term study wasn't in the frame.
The silk flower arranging was a joke really - American women just Lurve Hobby Lobby (or so they tell me) - always have armfuls of gaudy silk flowers.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 5:20 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Cloud
yes, I'm planning to start studying just to keep my brain going - I work when in the Uk.
I hadn't expected to be here more than a couple of years so long term study wasn't in the frame.
The silk flower arranging was a joke really - American women just Lurve Hobby Lobby (or so they tell me) - always have armfuls of gaudy silk flowers.

LOL

hobby lobby and jo-ann's are where a lot of the girls I know go for 'scrap-booking' stuff

both places where men NEVER need to enter
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I thought he said he'd already left, for the UK...so think he might have troubles moving back using the same visa...
Yes he said he returned to the UK and has a respectable position with the same company. I took that to mean he has been working for the same company in the UK and US. He is either wanting to transfer to the US again or look round for a different position in the UK. That's how I read it but maybe I'm wrong.
Banned

UFsoccergator76 is a name known to allUFsoccergator76 is a name known to allUFsoccergator76 is a name known to allUFsoccergator76 is a name known to allUFsoccergator76 is a name known to allUFsoccergator76 is a name known to allUFsoccergator76 is a name known to allUFsoccergator76 is a name known to allUFsoccergator76 is a name known to allUFsoccergator76 is a name known to allUFsoccergator76 is a name known to all

All of this, with a few geographical, demographic and currency variations, also applies to the US.
No doubt PARTS of the US. But in which area of the UK can you say house prices are reasonable??? The UK is a small country where opportunities are limited, the USA is a giant country where if opportunities are limited in one place, there is always another place better to go. All the Polish people coming to the UK are taking jobs that are low-skilled and menial. Jobs like Bus Drivers and Milkmen. Although those careers are ones that Manc and others here would gladly aspire to, for most college grads, they are not.

As more qualified jobs are being outsourced, more UK graduates will continue to leave to America, Canada, Australia, where there are opportunities. Where does this leave England??? Nowhere good. But what do I care, if you want to believe that England is great then move back. It is an expensive place with a malfunctioning healthcare system and an average house price of 200,000 Sterling. It also has horrible weather, a complete lack of things to do, an increasing yob culture, violent crime at rates which were unheard of 10 years ago. Regardless, globalization is on the march. The same lifestyle you criticize in America, the same attitudes, ect, will be everywhere before long.

Originally Posted by Manc
don't worry about it mate, he's not very bright........
Yet I still can outdebate and outthink you. You cannot successfully argue any point I have made. The best you can do, is divert and make rude comments. Again, typical British behavior. I guess thats the type of attitude I should expect from a bricklayer. Please address my comments again when you have attained an education and learned to think rationally.

"...closed minded, pessmistic, and lacking thought... Now there's inrony. A poet and didn't even know it.
Yes it certainly is inrony, whatever the fck inrony is. How could you fck up your spelling when this forum even has a spellcheck feature???
Old Sep 26th 2006, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

T5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
I am with the same company US and UK - just an intercompany transfer. I actually had our visas renewed a month before leaving (complicated story) so have almost 2 more years of L1 and L2's to return on as it would be the same position I would return to (still needs some working). I don't anticipate the visa being an issue short term.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 5:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by T5XAN
I am with the same company US and UK - just an intercompany transfer. I actually had our visas renewed a month before leaving (complicated story) so have almost 2 more years of L1 and L2's to return on as it would be the same position I would return to (still needs some working). I don't anticipate the visa being an issue short term.
Hey you're confusing me Mrs G posted exactly the same then immediately deleted it. Your wife I presume.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 5:57 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

There's **** all wrong with being a milkman you cheeky little turd I was a milkman at 15 and continued to deliver on weekends even after I went into full time employment (I happened to like the people on the round).

Just how can you say it's menial? You own a ****ing franchise for gods sake. You need to keep accurate accounts for upwards of 180 households, you need inventory management skills, people skills (something you obviously do not have, as your acidic and nasty attitude towards pretty much everyone in this thread shows). You MUST have time management skills and be an efficient worker - all this is in addition to the physical side of the job.

You've obviously never had to truly work for a living. I cherish every day that I work in an office now, safe in the knowledge that I can go back and perform so called "menial work" whenever a recession occurs and my lovely US job gets outsourced to Delhi (yes honestly - US jobs got outsourced to India too)

You are correct - the UK isn't some Ivory Tower were everyone is happy and the streets are paved with gold - but don't you dare go on about how ****ing wonderful the US is, because its not.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 5:58 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

But are you an expat or a US citizen.

I'm here due to OH's job - so family are not here, permanent house is not here (rented normally but in hotel suite just now) , my quals are not recognised so can't work.

I do all the above in the UK plus work part time.

In Texas there is so much very cheap labour that no one does house repairs etc.
I'm an ex-pat...you can't find anyone to repair anything here...and I've always done my own repairs...hubby goes to work...I do everything I can around the house...harder now because I have a really bad back...so hubby does more to the house then he would of years ago...but then he has an easier job now with less hours...so it works out well...
Old Sep 26th 2006, 5:59 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UFsoccergator76
Yes it certainly is inrony, whatever the fck inrony is. How could you fck up your spelling when this forum even has a spellcheck feature???
Simply because I want to be just as arrogant and pompous as you.

Is it not "spell-check"?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 6:00 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
There's **** all wrong with being a milkman you cheeky little turd I was a milkman at 15 and continued to deliver on weekends even after I went into full time employment (I happened to like the people on the round).
Nothing wrong with it, he's a bit of an arrogant prick, who doesn't even have a job yet.
I drove Buses in Brighton for a while, it's not a bad job, if you don't mind a few smelly, nutty people and that's just the staff canteen.

Last edited by gruffbrown; Sep 26th 2006 at 7:13 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 6:01 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I can't sew on a shirt button....so I can't see myself joining the ladies around here any time soon....sad thing is they are young...mid 30s...at their age I was out nightclubbing etc 4 nights a week...not sewing...
Old Sep 26th 2006, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

And not only is there nothing to do in the UK theres nothing to do while being surrounded by fat women. Who must be Romanians or Polish.

Unlike Florida which is alive with culture. And skinny people. And no immigrants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.