Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why do I Want to Return to the US

Why do I Want to Return to the US

Old Sep 26th 2006, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

T5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why do I Want to Return to the US

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hey you're confusing me Mrs G posted exactly the same then immediately deleted it. Your wife I presume.
Yes, sorry for the double post. She was still signed in! Deleted it to try and avoid confusion....
Old Sep 26th 2006, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
There's **** all wrong with being a milkman you cheeky little turd I was a milkman at 15 and continued to deliver on weekends even after I went into full time employment (I happened to like the people on the round).

Just how can you say it's menial? You own a ****ing franchise for gods sake. You need to keep accurate accounts for upwards of 180 households, you need inventory management skills, people skills (something you obviously do not have, as your acidic and nasty attitude towards pretty much everyone in this thread shows). You MUST have time management skills and be an efficient worker - all this is in addition to the physical side of the job.

You've obviously never had to truly work for a living. I cherish every day that I work in an office now, safe in the knowledge that I can go back and perform so called "menial work" whenever a recession occurs and my lovely US job gets outsourced to Delhi (yes honestly - US jobs got outsourced to India too)

You are correct - the UK isn't some Ivory Tower were everyone is happy and the streets are paved with gold - but don't you dare go on about how ****ing wonderful the US is, because its not.
Ignore him and he'll soon go away - he's been here before under a different name.

He's about as interesting as an ant under the floorboards; plus he's about as British as a croissant, so he knows f*** all about Britain apart from what he reads in the media.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Simply because I want to be just as arrogant and pompous as you.

Is it not "spell-check"?
Mine says "Spell Check" - I'll consider you both reprimanded!

Last edited by anotherlimey; Sep 26th 2006 at 6:19 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 6:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Ignore him and he'll soon go away - he's been here before under a different name.

He's about as interesting as an ant under the floorboards; plus he's about as British as a croissant, so he knows f*** all about Britain apart from what he reads in the media.
Phew...glad I didn't say that.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 6:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by T5XAN
Yes, sorry for the double post. She was still signed in! Deleted it to try and avoid confusion....
Do you have children, if so how old are they? If not and there's only the two of you, I would give it a little longer then transfer back to the US if you truly cannot settle. If the company are paying your expenses you have nothing to lose.

BTW we have Brit. friends who decided to move back to the UK. Their 3 children were under 13 at the time...one of the considerations was the cost of uni fees. They spent 5 days in the UK then returned to the US...that was 10 yrs ago and they haven't been back since.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 6:19 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Cloud
In Texas there is so much very cheap labour that no one does house repairs etc.
There may be cheap labour, but quality labour is a different matter - you tend to get what ou pay for.... I've never been a handyman, but I'm learning and I now do a lot more to the house than I ever would have dreamt before we came here because a) the houses take a lot more maintenance and b) most of the supposed tradesmen we've had do jobs have been absolute sh*te- there have been very very few that I would consider calling back for a second job.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 6:44 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
There may be cheap labour, but quality labour is a different matter - you tend to get what ou pay for.... I've never been a handyman, but I'm learning and I now do a lot more to the house than I ever would have dreamt before we came here because a) the houses take a lot more maintenance and b) most of the supposed tradesmen we've had do jobs have been absolute sh*te- there have been very very few that I would consider calling back for a second job.
We have a window fitting guy....it looks easy enough to do yourself...but he is a local and his prices are fair and his work good...so we keep going back to him...I've never had any other tradesmen in the house....I have used a guy to cut down a large tree...he broke a fence and came back and fitted a new one before I even noticed...but I've done all the garden clearing myself...it was a jungle...its still not great...but its getting there...
Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
My biz partner got some cheap labor in to fix something on the outside of his house. A few thousand k over budget later (as they buggered up a helluva lot whilst they were 'fixing' it) he's extremely pissed off. C'est la vie.

Just how can you say it's menial? You own a ****ing franchise for gods sake. You need to keep accurate accounts for upwards of 180 households, you need inventory management skills, people skills (something you obviously do not have, as your acidic and nasty attitude towards pretty much everyone in this thread shows). You MUST have time management skills and be an efficient worker - all this is in addition to the physical side of the job.
Plus, what is better than being fondled and kissed by Granville every morning!!

I hate reptile trolls.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

T5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Do you have children, if so how old are they? If not and there's only the two of you, I would give it a little longer then transfer back to the US if you truly cannot settle. If the company are paying your expenses you have nothing to lose.

BTW we have Brit. friends who decided to move back to the UK. Their 3 children were under 13 at the time...one of the considerations was the cost of uni fees. They spent 5 days in the UK then returned to the US...that was 10 yrs ago and they haven't been back since.
Kids are 10, 9 and 4. Two boys and a girl - she was born in Texas and had dual passports. Yes the uni thing is one of the schooling factors we considered i.e. the cost? You just start to add on zeros when you think how much it will be then multiply by three...... Although we realize that there are a wide range of prices and standards. Of course you think that the schools in UK are leagues better but so far its not that big a gap from what we are seeing (and the bullying has already started here - was expecting that though). If I were to return, the company would probably pay the majority of the direct costs - we havn't talked about that part of it. I may have to fork out some (and would be fully prepared to) and of course swallow the loss for selling cars after only a couple of months etc!! That to me is insignificant in the scheme of things and will just downsize vehicles etc. based on what money is left.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:42 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I've been here for nearly 10 years, and have been fairly happy (plus I can't return to the country I came from) which has made it easier in a way.

Lately though, as the kids have gotten older, they came here at 2, 5, 6 and are now nearly 12, 15, 16, with the oldest two planning on going to unie in Europe, I've started taking stock.

Do I want to retire here?
Will I be able to afford to retire here? Medical insurance being the biggie.
If I do not retire here, I'll have to leave my kids behind if they do decide to come back here.

Would it be easier to move elsewhere before they go to college?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I've been here for nearly 10 years, and have been fairly happy (plus I can't return to the country I came from) which has made it easier in a way.

Lately though, as the kids have gotten older, they came here at 2, 5, 6 and are now nearly 12, 15, 16, with the oldest two planning on going to unie in Europe, I've started taking stock.

If I do not retire here, I'll have to leave my kids behind if they do decide to come back here.

Good points TT....the years just fly by and before you know it the kids are grown and you're thinking about retirement.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UFsoccergator76
...It is an expensive place with a malfunctioning healthcare system and an average house price of 200,000 Sterling. It also has horrible weather, a complete lack of things to do, an increasing yob culture, violent crime at rates which were unheard of 10 years ago. Regardless, globalization is on the march. The same lifestyle you criticize in America, the same attitudes, ect, will be everywhere before long.
the NHS is something that is a lot better than what the US has to offer....and horrid weather, well much like the US, that depends where you like...high crime etc, much the same as in the US, it all depends on where you live....
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:04 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap

Do the kids and/or the family have to establish residence for xx years to go to university there?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:05 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
the NHS is something that is a lot better than what the US has to offer....and horrid weather, well much like the US, that depends where you like...high crime etc, much the same as in the US, it all depends on where you live....
I think with UFsoccergator it also depends on whether or not you've had to make it in the real world yet or are still at uni dreaming of that $70,000+ a year job you've been told you're gonna get by professors who also couldn't make it in the real world.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by T5XAN
Kids are 10, 9 and 4. Two boys and a girl - she was born in Texas and had dual passports. Yes the uni thing is one of the schooling factors we considered i.e. the cost? You just start to add on zeros when you think how much it will be then multiply by three...... Although we realize that there are a wide range of prices and standards. ...
if they do consider doing uni in the UK, apart from Scotland, would require you being resident there or the EU for 3 years by september to get the LEA sponsorship, otherwise you would be looking at between £8-20K a year depending on the uni and type of course...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.