Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why do I Want to Return to the US

Why do I Want to Return to the US

Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:10 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do I Want to Return to the US

Originally Posted by T5XAN
We left the US in July 06 - it was our choice after a long period of confusion and indeciciveness. It was a massive downer leaving with the gut feeling that we should probably stay. Our decisions to return to the UK were mainly based on the longer term outlook, schooling, existing UK pension scheme and all the things we missed from home. Since being home I am not adjusting well and only feel good when I scheme about returning to the US. I have returned to a respectable position with the same company but it feels like a backward step for my career and i dont enjoy anything about the job. I fell like hanging onto the original pension scheme was a false security as I am now thinking about changing jobs anyway.

I still have a chance to return to the US as my position is still vacant and L1 visa has almost 2 years left (ex boss is quite keen also). It's very tempting but everyone says give it time.

Is it just a simple case of it's to early to make a call? I dont feel like this is somewhere I want to live anymore and it's not even winter yet!
Thanks for any advice out there.
I have just read this on our high school website, bit cheesy but I quite liked it.

The poet Maria Rilka wrote “Be patient towards all that is unsolved in your heart and learn to love the questions themselves”
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:36 pm
Banned

Bossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by UFsoccergator76
No doubt PARTS of the US. But in which area of the UK can you say house prices are reasonable??? The UK is a small country where opportunities are limited, the USA is a giant country where if opportunities are limited in one place, there is always another place better to go. All the Polish people coming to the UK are taking jobs that are low-skilled and menial. Jobs like Bus Drivers and Milkmen. Although those careers are ones that Manc and others here would gladly aspire to, for most college grads, they are not.

As more qualified jobs are being outsourced, more UK graduates will continue to leave to America, Canada, Australia, where there are opportunities. Where does this leave England??? Nowhere good. But what do I care, if you want to believe that England is great then move back. It is an expensive place with a malfunctioning healthcare system and an average house price of 200,000 Sterling. It also has horrible weather, a complete lack of things to do, an increasing yob culture, violent crime at rates which were unheard of 10 years ago. Regardless, globalization is on the march. The same lifestyle you criticize in America, the same attitudes, ect, will be everywhere before long.

Yet I still can outdebate and outthink you. You cannot successfully argue any point I have made. The best you can do, is divert and make rude comments. Again, typical British behavior. I guess thats the type of attitude I should expect from a bricklayer. Please address my comments again when you have attained an education and learned to think rationally.

Yes it certainly is inrony, whatever the fck inrony is. How could you fck up your spelling when this forum even has a spellcheck feature???

Hmmmmmmmm actually this is a damn good poster in my opinion ,, I would maybe of not selected milkmen or bus driver as job samples as they are fairly skilled jobs nowdays .. but apart from that this poster does indeed have the whole England scene about right .. as it is slipping into deep un repairable ruin and that is why vast chunks of the financially sound Brit population wants to get out ...

On the menial jobs he should have selected " KFC " and " mcdonalds" as both of these in my home town now have numerous Poles working there ,, A young Polish Lad works in my "KFC" and whilst waitting for the Nuggets to cook i had a chat with the lad i asked him "so why you end up in England ?" He advised in Poland he only earnt £ 100 a Month !! Here he earns £ 450 its like he is rich he advised !! .. I laughed a little and then said "yea but why here and not "KFC" in spain where the sunshines more ?" He then said hard to get jobs there , here no problems and i get flat and rent paid and lots of free stuff !! Hmmmmmmmm i thought i wonder if i went to the USA and made out i was poor would they look after me that way nahhh lol pretty unlikely .

Still he is a good lad and always gives me extra chips and packs in as many nuggets as can be wedged in and free barbecue dips so hes ok ..lol

Only problem is with the "KFC" here i dont know if its the same worldwide or Uk or just down south but , 99% of the staff are foreign "!! And using the drive in is hard work , requiring repeating your order several times and then fingers crossed that you get what you ordered !! Most of us now park and go inside and point at the boards lol And watch as they put everything in ..

I also wonder if its a world dominance of immigrants to take over the fast food chains ? As Mcdonalds in now up to 25% and rising ? Pizza Hut still all Brits but watching with keen interest lol
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bossman-kent
Hmmmmmmmm actually this is a damn good poster in my opinion...
Really don't think you're cut out for the expat lifestyle, old bean.

Oh, and BTW, is following a modal auxiliary with a preposition now de rigueur in Blighty?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:47 pm
Banned

Bossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by britvic
Yes we have, so young and full of hate

No i dont think hes full of hate britvic,

The state of this country is making a lot of us Brits , angry frustrated and this maybe comes across..

I meet loads of people daily and its noticeable how angry everyones getting with the Country and a feeling of being able to do nothing about it !!

Most people can see whats happening how crazy its getting , the big brother looming and a feeling of despair that you cant say anything or do a single thing about it ..

So give the guy a break maybe , freedom of views thought speech and all that ..
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Really don't think you're cut out for the expat lifestyle, old bean.

Oh, and BTW, is following a modal auxiliary with a preposition now de rigueur in Blighty?

Well dont know if i am cut out or not , and if anyone could say the UK is going to be the best place to live in the future well thats depressing for sure lol

However maybe you experts are right maybe i will emigrate and then miss ole blighty but i do feel if you cant change the system then maybe find one that suits you better .. only live once right ?

regarding following . you got a fancy writing way lol
Old Sep 27th 2006, 10:06 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

And using the drive in is hard work , requiring repeating your order several times and then fingers crossed that you get what you ordered !! Most of us now park and go inside and point at the boards lol And watch as they put everything in ..
You could be talking about the US! A lot of Brits here say they have trouble at the drive thru!
Old Sep 27th 2006, 10:28 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Why do I Want to Return to the US

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We've not bought since we've been here - we brought ours with us, plus some extra looking to sell them and dip a toe in the market.
Hi Yorkie.....did you find that some of your antique furniture cracked when you left the tropical humidity of Singapore? Some of ours has cracked and warped....just couldn't keep a humidifier on 24/7 but I don't know if it's humid year round where you currently live. Our stuff was supposed to be 'seasoned' as well....the usual Chinese stuff made from elmwood inc. the wedding cabinet - but I never did get a chicken coop!

I had to ruefully smile when the retailers say that they will just write on the invoices that the item one has just purchased is about 100 years old so you can avoid paying customs duty when you move on to another country (notably the USA!)

Another friend who returned to the UK had bought a beautiful Indonesian teak dining set in Singapore. Unfortunately it then cracked right across the middle and a tablecloth couldn't disguise it. She was told that the wood had been seasoned but it evidently hadn't.

Another family on our condo went to Ubud in Bali to buy Indonesian furniture when they learned they were being posted to Minnesota and had it shipped directly there. I often wonder what condition it ended up in with the MN climate...?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
You could be talking about the US! A lot of Brits here say they have trouble at the drive thru!
And we mean talking to American's at the drive thru.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 10:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
And we mean talking to American's at the drive thru.

That's because we are immigrants...
Old Sep 27th 2006, 10:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
That's because we are immigrants...
Don't be silly we're British.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 10:36 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't be silly we're British.

And some of us are smartasses
Old Sep 27th 2006, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

The state of this country is making a lot of us Brits , angry frustrated and this maybe comes across..

I meet loads of people daily and its noticeable how angry everyones getting with the Country and a feeling of being able to do nothing about it !!

Most people can see whats happening how crazy its getting , the big brother looming and a feeling of despair that you cant say anything or do a single thing about it ..

I do understand that, blimey I come from Parent's who were at it years ago but you really do have to buy the Tshirt and wear it just to make your own mind up what you want out of life, and we made the choice to return home
Old Sep 27th 2006, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

He's lived in the US since he was 13. What does he really know about life in the UK? He even stated what he knows is from the news. And we all know what an unbiased and realistic picture the US news networks paint.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 12:27 am
In sunny Calif

Red Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
He's lived in the US since he was 13. What does he really know about life in the UK? He even stated what he knows is from the news. And we all know what an unbiased and realistic picture the US news networks paint.
Exactly, he's American, to all intents and purposes, and i think he said he's only 22 -- so what does he know about anything?

He probably goes back to England, talks in loud Yank accent, has no concept that getting the bus into town on a Saturday nights with your mates and getting blootered can be fun, dresses 5 years out of date, has no concept of getting on a bus come to that. Thinks having acouple of beers at Hooters is IT --------give the wee laddie a break......
Old Sep 28th 2006, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Red Cloud
Exactly, he's American, to all intents and purposes, and i think he said he's only 22 -- so what does he know about anything?

He probably goes back to England, talks in loud Yank accent, has no concept that getting the bus into town on a Saturday nights with your mates and getting blootered can be fun, dresses 5 years out of date, has no concept of getting on a bus come to that. Thinks having acouple of beers at Hooters is IT --------give the wee laddie a break......
Well said, karma indeedy Sorry Hon, will try another time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.