Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why do I Want to Return to the US

Why do I Want to Return to the US

Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:11 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do I Want to Return to the US

...and all the undocumented workers from south of the border.

While I can easily see the overcrowding issue being far worse in Britain vs the US, I do wonder at the wage pressure/competition for jobs issue. There is considerable downward wage pressure in certain areas of the US and in certain industries due to the influx of undocumented workers. Is it really worse in the UK?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:17 pm
In sunny Calif

Red Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to allRed Cloud is a name known to all

Age makes a big difference to where you might prefer to live - what you look for at 20 is not what you want at 50.

Also your sex, I remember a lady from doon sooth telling me, when I lived in Aberdeenshire, that it's a great place for her husband to live (shooting, fishing, golf) but rubbish for her. I would say Texas is the same - great if you like B-I-I-I-G trucks, B-I-I-I-G steaks and hunting B-I-I-I-G deer but lousy for women, unless you're into silk flower arranging or lying by the pool.

Money makes a difference too - if you're wealthy compared to the average joe you'll feel better. I'd rather be a Tesco worker in the UK than a Walmart worker in Texas.

It's swings and roundabouts and anyone who starts a message "Americans are ....." or "In England ....." is wrong - they're generalising far too much.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

T5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by UFsoccergator76
i think this person thinks scotland is a part of england
I think you may have missed my humour? just to be clear - Aberdeen.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:23 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by T5XAN
I think you may have missed my humour? .
don't worry about it mate, he's not very bright........

p.s. I used to work in Peterhead and for the MOD in Crimond as a subcontactor.
bugger me, if I lived up there all the time, I'd want out too.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:26 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Regarding house prices and Florida:

3/4 Million $ will now buy you a 3/2 in South Florida. The average house price in Central Florida is now around $300k. The average wage in Florida is around $20 per hour. Young local people here cannot afford to buy a house. It is not just the UK that has mad house prices.
Tell me about it...we hoped FL would give our kids a chance to own a house..homes there were cheap when we go ours 3 or so years ago...not now...the best a young family can hope for on the Cape in MA is a hotel room...if they can't afford that its a tent in the woods or their car...
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:29 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Cloud
I would say Texas is the same - great if you like B-I-I-I-G trucks, B-I-I-I-G steaks and hunting B-I-I-I-G deer but lousy for women, unless you're into silk flower arranging or lying by the pool.
Erm, so where would be the typical "woman's paradise"?!
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

T5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud ofT5XAN has much to be proud of

I see a lot of replies here and the forum in general that echo all my thoughts and discussions on the stay / go subject. It does boil down to a personal choice. That's all there is to it - no hard and fast answer. What gets me in the whole situation is that there are hundreds of variables and no easy way to compare apples with apples. It becomes a big melting pot of emotions. At the end of the day I don't regret being in this dilemma one little bit - its just the price you pay for the adventure and talking about it turns out to be a great way to reflect on the experience.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:31 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Cloud
Age makes a big difference to where you might prefer to live - what you look for at 20 is not what you want at 50.

Also your sex, I remember a lady from doon sooth telling me, when I lived in Aberdeenshire, that it's a great place for her husband to live (shooting, fishing, golf) but rubbish for her. I would say Texas is the same - great if you like B-I-I-I-G trucks, B-I-I-I-G steaks and hunting B-I-I-I-G deer but lousy for women, unless you're into silk flower arranging or lying by the pool.

Money makes a difference too - if you're wealthy compared to the average joe you'll feel better. I'd rather be a Tesco worker in the UK than a Walmart worker in Texas.

It's swings and roundabouts and anyone who starts a message "Americans are ....." or "In England ....." is wrong - they're generalising far too much.
Here women sew together on cold winter evenings....sometimes I feel like I've gone back in time..LOL

It is cute in a way...but I've spent years waiting for the elders to drag some young 21 year old boy out to the fields and kill him for Harvest Home...
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by T5XAN
I see a lot of replies here and the forum in general that echo all my thoughts and discussions on the stay / go subject. It does boil down to a personal choice. That's all there is to it - no hard and fast answer. What gets me in the whole situation is that there are hundreds of variables and no easy way to compare apples with apples. It becomes a big melting pot of emotions. At the end of the day I don't regret being in this dilemma one little bit - its just the price you pay for the adventure and talking about it turns out to be a great way to reflect on the experience.
After you take your first 4 week holiday on the cointinent, you'll forget all about the US
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:43 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UFsoccergator76
... (blah blah blah)....Like I said, typical responses from typical English people - closed minded, pessmistic, and lacking thought.
"...closed minded, pessmistic, and lacking thought... Now there's inrony. A poet and didn't even know it.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
The average wage in Florida is around $20 per hour. .
more like $12 an hour ..
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:11 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
Here women sew together on cold winter evenings....sometimes I feel like I've gone back in time..LOL

It is cute in a way...but I've spent years waiting for the elders to drag some young 21 year old boy out to the fields and kill him for Harvest Home...

OK

I live in the South, women here seem to have just as much as men to do - how old are you lot? This silk flower arranging thing is not something I have seen myself. Have you set up the WI of Scunthorpe in FL?

My wife just finished law school and has now started a landscaping course at the local community college. I think you can always find something to do

Older women we know do a lot of volunteer work (if they don't have a full time job themselves)
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:25 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

I'm a full time baby minder..gardener...house keeper...shopper...accountant...painter...wood floor restorer.. shingle repairer...you name it I do it...
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Your L1...which is lucky...but any chances of getting transfered to another part of the US?

And is your L1 still valid, given that you left the company?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:42 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And is your L1 still valid, given that you left the company?
No. remember honeymommy, her hubby was laid off on an L1b and was basically given days to leave the USA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.