Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why do I Want to Return to the US

Why do I Want to Return to the US

Old Sep 29th 2006, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do I Want to Return to the US

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have just been reading Dunroving's thread in the UK forum. Poor guy seems to be having a rough time settling back into life in the UK.
Its not being in the UK thats he's struggling with, its his job. He is hugely career orientated, he's in the wrong job which if you see from his earlier posts he took the job knowing that would be the case. If he was career fulfilled there would be no problem.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 1:28 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Its not being in the UK thats he's struggling with, its his job. He is hugely career orientated, he's in the wrong job which if you see from his earlier posts he took the job knowing that would be the case. If he was career fulfilled there would be no problem.

Yeah - and the fact that he would like to buy a house suggests he wants to stay.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 1:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa

I realise that...I have been following his posts all year...as I said he's having a rough time.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I realise that...I have been following his posts all year...as I said he's having a rough time.
agreed.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by T5XAN
We left the US in July 06 - it was our choice after a long period of confusion and indeciciveness. It was a massive downer leaving with the gut feeling that we should probably stay. Our decisions to return to the UK were mainly based on the longer term outlook, schooling, existing UK pension scheme and all the things we missed from home. Since being home I am not adjusting well and only feel good when I scheme about returning to the US. I have returned to a respectable position with the same company but it feels like a backward step for my career and i dont enjoy anything about the job. I fell like hanging onto the original pension scheme was a false security as I am now thinking about changing jobs anyway.

I still have a chance to return to the US as my position is still vacant and L1 visa has almost 2 years left (ex boss is quite keen also). It's very tempting but everyone says give it time.

Is it just a simple case of it's to early to make a call? I dont feel like this is somewhere I want to live anymore and it's not even winter yet!
Thanks for any advice out there.
There were very strong reasons that made you leave your life in the US and return to the UK. You didn't just do this on a whim. You are now, in some respects, a foreigner in your own country. You need to settle in and get used to it. Of course you are going to miss the US. This country has some great aspects to it (and some bad too). You said you have two years left on your visa, so give it a 6 months at least before you make another change. In my life, whenever I just react to strong feelings, I nearly always end up regretting it. Good luck to you and your family!
Old Oct 1st 2006, 5:58 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
(clipped) You are now, in some respects, a foreigner in your own country. You need to settle in and get used to it.
This is a good point that people coming here from the UK need to take to heart.

New immigrants to the US are foreigners in what is now their new "own country". They need to settle in and get used to it too.

I know it's tough advice but it's true.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
This is a good point that people coming here from the UK need to take to heart.

New immigrants to the US are foreigners in what is now their new "own country". They need to settle in and get used to it too.

I know it's tough advice but it's true.
True. But if they live in FL they're allowed to complain about, a. bugs, b. tradesmen, c. lack of customer service
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:13 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
True. But if they live in FL they're allowed to complain about, a. bugs, b. tradesmen, c. lack of customer service

Sounds like living in Blighty, except for the bugs.

Wild horses would not drag me back.