Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

EU hopes for new pact with U.S. on passenger data

EU hopes for new pact with U.S. on passenger data

Old Oct 1st 2006, 9:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default EU hopes for new pact with U.S. on passenger data

"The European Union hopes to reach a new agreement with the United States on sharing air passenger data next week after failing to do so before the previous pact expired, the European Commission said.

U.S. and European negotiators were unable agree in talks in Washington on Saturday, when the existing agreement ended, but both sides said they would try to do so quickly. ..."

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=2514056

So what do you lot think of that? comfortable with the US having all those details? baring in mind that they off the data to third party companies to sift through it all....
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU hopes for new pact with U.S. on passenger data

Looks like the US is trying to apply a bit of blackmail. Basically, "If you don't supply the information we want, you won't be landing planes in this country". I don't see the need to have peoples credit card details, maybe only the company or place where the tickets were bought from. There is the no fly list, that has various names on that appear to be dodgy. Why do they need anything more?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:38 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

**** em
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
Looks like the US is trying to apply a bit of blackmail. Basically, "If you don't supply the information we want, you won't be landing planes in this country". I don't see the need to have peoples credit card details, maybe only the company or place where the tickets were bought from. There is the no fly list, that has various names on that appear to be dodgy. Why do they need anything more?
aye, I think the US will be hit harder by people not bothering to come here than not....and if other countries are able to sort things out without credit card details....says somin' don't it...
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:53 am
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
**** em
I think I am right in stating that the information gathered will be classed as intelligence data.

Which means that due to the "UKUSA signals intelligence agreement", the data can also be requested by Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Not sure though.

I also thought I had read that 2 more countries have now joined the agreement, but can't find any web site to back that up.

http://www.a42.de/archiv/echelon.html
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:57 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

38 bits of information, seemingly. Credit card details, phone number, etc. If you're European at the moment, technically they could refuse you entry. Unless you're British, who came to an agreement to hand it over
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:06 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
**** em

Indeed.

Though seeing that USCIS already has just about every piece of information about me short of when I ovulate, I doubt it is going to add anything to my record sheet...
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 3:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Elvira

Though seeing that USCIS already has just about every piece of information about me short of when I ovulate...
they probably know that too
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 3:33 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I dont mind information for security reasons but no ****er is going to have my CC details and everything else and pass it onto whatever chosen 3rd party companies they want to....i.e whichever one has paid the most in political donations recently, just so I can go on holiday there.

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Oct 2nd 2006 at 3:40 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Mad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond repute

All it means is that "x" months down the line some hacker will get all the info and then there will be a game of "I do not know anything about it". I do not see the need for all this info frankly, its a pity they did not concentrate there efforts on better airline staff/immigration vetting as 9/11 sadly proved!