Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Originally Posted by N1cky
Yes they do but in my opinion its a load of bollox (I'm ready for the abuse), I don't get why people are so proud to be American or English or any other nationality.

I don't get why kids have to pledge allegence to the American flag every morning, and all the crap about God bless America, which god would that be? there are that many religions in America.
It's a natural thing for someone to feel proud of their country. And the Pledge of Allegiance is a Cold War relic against the atheist Soviets, kinda of a rallying call of keeping the nation together. And God would be the Christian God, we start every morning in Congress with a prayer and a reading from the Bible, have been doing it for a very long time now, possibly since the Revolution. And yes there are many religions in America, but the majority religion is Protestant Christianity. We don't believe in multiculturalism to the level that the UK does, we believe everyone should adopt at least a few American values, and to eventually be American.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I was walking in front of this guy last week in a store, I could hear him saying
Could you repeat that?
Say that again!
Are you serious?
F*** me, are you trying to blame me?
I used a condom and you said you were covered! (yelling)

I had my Son with me, so I coughed loudly and he turned around, he gave me such a filthy look, then said "Don't ever call me again, unless you want your face ripping off and facing the other way"

Was it Rushman?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Erm, I will repeat as it obviously wasn't clear in my original post I don't get why people are so proud to be American or English or any other nationality

Therefore why are you asking me how I can be proud of England
It's all relative. You can be proud to be English, I feel proud to be American even though I don't agree with a lot of things my government has done in my name, Democrats and Republicans.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StaryandStripey

The UK is a negative 'put down' society full of layabouts, losers, spongers and doom merchants, it sweeps its history under the carpet for fear of upsetting people. How can you be proud of a country that's ashamed of its past?
That's not exactly specific to the UK though....just society in general these days.

Get that shite happening here too.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:04 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
It's all relative. You can be proud to be English, I feel proud to be American even though I don't agree with a lot of things my government has done in my name, Democrats and Republicans.
FFS, I obviously need to be clearer in my posts.

I AM NOT PROUD TO BE ENGLISH, I DON'T GET WHY ANYONE IS PROUD TO HAPPEN TO HAVE BEEN BORN IN A PARTICULAR COUNTRY.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StaryandStripey

The UK is a negative 'put down' society full of layabouts, losers, spongers and doom merchants, it sweeps its history under the carpet for fear of upsetting people. How can you be proud of a country that's ashamed of its past?
That's a funny way of looking at it. One could be proud that one's country had made an honest appraisal of its history. Germany, for example, has had to deal with that.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

FFS, I obviously need to be clearer in my posts.

I AM NOT PROUD TO BE ENGLISH, I DON'T GET WHY ANYONE IS PROUD TO HAPPEN TO HAVE BEEN BORN IN A PARTICULAR COUNTRY.
Are you proud to be a Yorkie?

just kidding
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why aren't you proud to be English though? I'm Spanish and loving it, even though my ancestors have pillaged the Caribbean, Central, and South America to the bone
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:08 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That's a funny way of looking at it. One could be proud that one's country had made an honest appraisal of its history. Germany, for example, has had to deal with that.
What do they teach in History in German schools? Is it an honest account, or do they just dodge that subject?

Are you proud to be a Yorkie?

just kidding
Too bloody right I am
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:11 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Was it Rushman?
Probably not ... no a mention of a bint or tart.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What do they teach in History in German schools? Is it an honest account, or do they just dodge that subject?
No there's a load of blank pages 1933-1945
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Why aren't you proud to be English though? I'm Spanish and loving it, even though my ancestors have pillaged the Caribbean, Central, and South America to the bone
I'm proud of some elements in British history, like fighting off the Germans. It just doesn't make me proud to have been fortunate enough to be born in England.

I guess I don't understand what being proud to be a certain nationality means.

For instance, I'm proud to be my daughters mum. I've been an influence in her life, she is hard working, well mannered... some of which she has learn't from me.

England winning the war had nothing to do with me, so why should I be proud to be English?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Probably not ... no a mention of a bint or tart.
Didn't blame the government, either.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm proud of some elements in British history, like fighting off the Germans. It just doesn't make me proud to have been fortunate enough to be born in England.

I guess I don't understand what being proud to be a certain nationality means.

For instance, I'm proud to be my daughters mum. I've been an influence in her life, she is hard working, well mannered... some of which she has learn't from me.

England winning the war had nothing to do with me, so why should I be proud to be English?
Have you noticed in British tabloid newspapers, everybody over 60 who's battling PC gone mad was a war hero?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think one thing you could look at, you should be proud at the country for pretty much inventing modern democracy. You guys have drawn up the Magna Carta, the first country post ancient times to modernize their political system by reducing the king's powers and delegating some to Parliament, etc. I give my thanks to England for giving the world modern democracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.