Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
We desperately need an IQ test at sign-up time for this board. I wouldn't ban 'em coz they're fun. But I don't think they should be allowed to make more than 1 post/hr.
They seem to come in bunches.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
They seem to come in bunches.
Yep!
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Not really, I feel lucky that I was born in a country that is well developed and not into a slum in Pakistan for instance.

It doesn't make me proud or pleased though.

Strangely, I seem to have met alot of Americans who are proud that there Great Great Great Grandfather was from England. I don't get that either
Maybe they're just happy they know who their ancestors were?

I'm getting to be too much like youse guys though. I read a quote from a US politician the other day that said "I'm Scandinavian and..." blahblahblah some Scandinavian trait and it took me two reads to understand that he meant he's of Scandinavian *heritage*.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

I think we've got some kind of in built tribalism/patriotism. All people in all countries have it.
When someone from Ethiopia wins a gold medal in the Olympics the people over there go nuts. It doesn't make sense because they haven't done anything but they are so proud that someone from their country has achieved something.

However I completely agree that patriotism can be 'taught' into people. As an outsider it is easy to see here in the USA with the constant singing of the national anthem, pledging, respecting the flag and all that. However, I'm sure there's patriotic stuff that I grew up with in the UK that I don't even realise because I'm conditioned to it.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror
I think we've got some kind of in built tribalism/patriotism. All people in all countries have it.
When someone from Ethiopia wins a gold medal in the Olympics the people over there go nuts. It doesn't make sense because they haven't done anything but they are so proud that someone from their country has achieved something.

However I completely agree that patriotism can be 'taught' into people. As an outsider it is easy to see here in the USA with the constant singing of the national anthem, pledging, respecting the flag and all that. However, I'm sure there's patriotic stuff that I grew up with in the UK that I don't even realise because I'm conditioned to it.
Kind of. But I find it interesting with the really little kids at sports day, the race starts and they look around waiting for their friends I think we are not innately tribal/patriotic and it has to be learned. In fact it often has to be really drummed in.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
No there's a load of blank pages 1933-1945
and that's if you can find anything covering volume one

But seriously though, they're not bad actually.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
...You guys have drawn up the Magna Carta....
They do a nice cup of tea too...very talented them folk, shame parking is a bit of a bugger
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Therefore, you are proud of the war in Vietnam, the Hiroshima bomb, Japanese POW camps...
don't forget single handedly winning ww2, the enigma machine etc.

It's all spin but some of it, well those examples are a bit of the naughty side of fibbing, but it's okay as it's American. If Japan, Germany or any other country put that kind of spin on things there would be an outcry leading to another war
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:06 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

....We just had better boats and stuff so caused some pretty major carnage all over the place.
But we're sorry about it now so everything is cool.

Can I borrow this for future reference?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:09 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

As an outsider it is easy to see here in the USA with the constant singing of the national anthem, pledging, respecting the flag and all that. However, I'm sure there's patriotic stuff that I grew up with in the UK that I don't even realise because I'm conditioned to it.
I think I have become a whole lot more patriotic since leaving the UK. Funnily enough, whilst I still lived there, I never even thought about patriotism* - just not something that was even on my horizon.

(* or about healthcare... )
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:12 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I give my thanks to England for giving the world modern democracy
Hey, don't blame us for the existence of politicians!
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:17 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

But does that make them Proud to be Ethiopian, or proud of an Ethopian's achievements?

I'm guessing I see a distinction between these, other people see it as one and the same.

Originally Posted by Bob
don't forget single handedly winning ww2, the enigma machine etc.

It's all spin but some of it, well those examples are a bit of the naughty side of fibbing, but it's okay as it's American. If Japan, Germany or any other country put that kind of spin on things there would be an outcry leading to another war
I always love that spin. We were talking about this the other day as to what history our daughter will be taught in school. Fact or American Fiction
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:23 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Fact or American Fiction
With history there is no such thing as 100% fact. Every country puts their interpretation on events.

Most countries rely on historians to do it, America relies on Hollywood
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Funny thing is, I just realized something arguing on here. I dislike the U.S. more than I like it so I take back my earlier statements. Which now makes me wonder, why do people move here anyway? I thought you guys had it better back in the UK? I always thought the UK was, the land of milk and honey, even if it is a tad expensive to live in
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Funny thing is, I just realized something arguing on here. I dislike the U.S. more than I like it so I take back my earlier statements. Which now makes me wonder, why do people move here anyway? I thought you guys had it better back in the UK? I always thought the UK was, the land of milk and honey, even if it is a tad expensive to live in

Why do you assume it's more expensive? I suppose it depends where you live in the UK vs the US...but for us it's about the same...if not more expensive here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.