Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:35 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Originally Posted by elfman
and where exactly was this convention of Morons Anonymous?
In TIO. Rushman was the master of ceremonies.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Think I hit most of the points on patriotism in America. Anyone else have other reasons why? That's how I feel, who isn't proud when you beat the big bad British you know? hahaha
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:37 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Well I can't speak for you but being proud to be American? Well I would have to say like I did in my previous post, the Pledge, our history, and accomplishments like space, and other things.
you can't claim them, they were scousers
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
you can't claim them, they were scousers
haha no not THAT space, outer space :P moon landing
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:39 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Think I hit most of the points on patriotism in America. Anyone else have other reasons why? That's how I feel, who isn't proud when you beat the big bad British you know? hahaha
Don't be so stupid. Far too many Americans are ass-licking anglophiles who don't even know their own history, ffs.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Don't be so stupid. Far too many Americans are ass-licking anglophiles who don't even know their own history, ffs.
I know my history, mind you. More than the average American, so please don't lump me together with the rednecks.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:44 pm
WTF?

I know my history, mind you. More than the average American, so please don't lump me together with the rednecks.
I'm no lumping you in with anybody YET. You're the one generalizing all over the place.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:46 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

why not two things from reading this thread I have found out today

all Americans are red necks

everyone in the UK has to book their vacation a year in advance.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:46 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Well I can't speak for you but being proud to be American? Well I would have to say like I did in my previous post, the Pledge, our history, and accomplishments like space, and other things. We just feel that we've done a lot more than other nations and feel we should be proud of it, and from a young age, they teach you from school, and the TV, that you should be proud of living here. Our history classes here are always infused with some patriotism. I guess that's why people here are proud to be American
Ok, so based on this you are proud to be American because of what America as a country has done.

Therefore, you are proud of the war in Vietnam, the Hiroshima bomb, Japanese POW camps...
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Have you ever noticed that the people who are the most patriotic (in any country) are usually people who haven't travelled much.

Yeah Britain's got some dodgy parts in it's history but it isn't like everyone else was going around singing kumbi ya and holding hands. All countries and civilizations were ruthless in more primitive times. We just had better boats and stuff so caused some pretty major carnage all over the place.
But we're sorry about it now so everything is cool.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Same here, I'm not proud of invading every country in Central America, the dictators we put up in countries around the world, our bad behavior in the Phillipines, Okinawa, Hiroshima, Vietnam, our hypocrisy around the world, the tortures we participate in, Bush, nuclear weapons, no healthcare, but you know what I still like to be American because there are much much worse countries out there. I recognize my nation's faults, doesnt mean I have to be a self-hater, which seems like to you "enlightened" Americans have to be one. Every country has its positives and negatives, like he guy above said, not everyone was all kumbiya and holding hands back then.

Last edited by chrisfromusa; Oct 5th 2009 at 9:57 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:59 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
There is nothing I don't like about England (well I'm sure if I thought hard enough there would be something). I love England and would be more than happy to go back, I just don't get how I can be proud of a nationality that is mine through luck.

Presumably this is why they get kids to pledge every day, its something they are taught to do.

I feel like I am missing something here, why are people proud to be English/American...?
Maybe it's another one of those language problems we're always running into.

How about 'pleased'? Are you pleased to be English? Well pleased?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:12 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Maybe it's another one of those language problems we're always running into.

How about 'pleased'? Are you pleased to be English? Well pleased?
Not really, I feel lucky that I was born in a country that is well developed and not into a slum in Pakistan for instance.

It doesn't make me proud or pleased though.

Strangely, I seem to have met alot of Americans who are proud that there Great Great Great Grandfather was from England. I don't get that either
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:15 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Oh shut your stupid face.
We desperately need an IQ test at sign-up time for this board. I wouldn't ban 'em coz they're fun. But I don't think they should be allowed to make more than 1 post/hr.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Not really, I feel lucky that I was born in a country that is well developed and not into a slum in Pakistan for instance.

It doesn't make me proud or pleased though.

Strangely, I seem to have met alot of Americans who are proud that there Great Great Great Grandfather was from England. I don't get that either
“To Be Born An Englishman Is To Win First Prize In God’s Lottery” according to Cecil Rhodes. Or was it Kipling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.