British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Is the US still a dream worth pursuing? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-still-dream-worth-pursuing-633919/)

StaryandStripey Oct 4th 2009 1:40 pm

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Hi Everyone. ;)

Is a life in the USA still a dream worth pursuing or is it a bad idea now?

With various cutbacks in spending (health, education, etc) is it worth it?

I'm looking to emigrate to the US on an EB-5 visa in a few years as admittedly, the US is where I would prefer to have my children born and raised as I believe they would have more opportunities.

But......? :blink:

Manc Oct 4th 2009 1:46 pm

Re: Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

more opportunities to do what?

StaryandStripey Oct 4th 2009 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7988203)
more opportunities to do what?

More opportunities to pursue their dreams, ambitions. To make the most of a better (?) education system in a society seen as "I can" rather than "Can I?"

Manc Oct 4th 2009 1:52 pm

total bollocks.

StaryandStripey Oct 4th 2009 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7988217)
total bollocks.

So I take it the US is screwed and I should think again. LOL!

Manc Oct 4th 2009 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by StaryandStripey (Post 7988220)
So I take it the US is screwed and I should think again. LOL!

not at all.

but basically using your kids as an excuse because YOU want to live in the USA is lame at best I think.

If your kids want to live anywhere in the world it is your job to teach them to strive and graft for what they want.

StaryandStripey Oct 4th 2009 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7988227)
not at all.

but basically using your kids as an excuse because YOU want to live in the USA is lame at best I think.

If your kids want to live anywhere in the world it is your job to teach them to strive and graft for what they want.

At the moment I have no children. I'm single and an only child with no surviving family and I'm not married. My reason for moving to the US IS for my children (future children). I'm an entrepreneur by nature and I see the US as a more entrepreneurial society with a positive attitude as compared to the UK's negative 'put down' attitude that I have experienced far too much of. I just see the US as the better of the two.

radion Oct 4th 2009 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by StaryandStripey (Post 7988188)
Hi Everyone. ;)

Is a life in the USA still a dream worth pursuing or is it a bad idea now?

With various cutbacks in spending (health, education, etc) is it worth it?

I'm looking to emigrate to the US on an EB-5 visa in a few years as admittedly, the US is where I would prefer to have my children born and raised as I believe they would have more opportunities.

But......? :blink:

All things can change in a few years, right now, difficult choice to make as you do read the news, and watch the telly??

Never ever take what is said to you on here to heart, that gets you nowhere
and have a good look around the search engine at the top of page, research.

Many states differ to what you may be looking for, I think its worth what I am doing to emigrate to the states hopefully 2011, maybe things will be the same, maybe not...who knows:confused:
With opportunities, come costs, like everything, look at this from all angles to make sure its for you;)

radion Oct 4th 2009 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by StaryandStripey (Post 7988246)
At the moment I have no children. I'm single and an only child with no surviving family and I'm not married. My reason for moving to the US IS for my children (future children). I'm an entrepreneur by nature and I see the US as a more entrepreneurial society with a positive attitude as compared to the UK's negative 'put down' attitude that I have experienced far too much of. I just see the US as the better of the two.

Then with that, you have nothing to loose, and I agree with the "put down" culture here, your here once only, do it and see what you can make of it:thumbup:

Patrick Hasler Oct 4th 2009 2:35 pm

Your kids would have a good oppertunity to work at McDonalds or Wendys :rofl:

bad health care, bad social security, bad employment prospects, bad workers rights .... need I go on ?

AmerLisa Oct 4th 2009 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 7988285)
Your kids would have a good oppertunity to work at McDonalds or Wendys :rofl:

bad health care, bad social security, bad employment prospects, bad workers rights .... need I go on ?

Just as easy to be able to work at McDonald's or Argo's in the UK. It depends on the kid and how he's raised.....

Manc Oct 4th 2009 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 7988356)
Just as easy to be able to work at McDonald's or Argo's in the UK.

I'd say with 4 weeks paid vacation and not having to worry about going to the hospital it is easier to work for them in the UK.

AmerLisa Oct 4th 2009 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7988360)
I'd say with 4 weeks paid vacation and not having to worry about going to the hospital it is easier to work for them in the UK.

Hospital side, definitely.... 4 weeks.....not too much. If you're not making that much money and you have to book your holidays in advance, what good is 4 weeks? I suppose that you have them, which is nice. :)

Manc Oct 4th 2009 3:39 pm

it is such a chore booking holidays in advance isn't it?

AmerLisa Oct 4th 2009 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7988369)
it is such a chore booking holidays in advance isn't it?

I don't always know where I want to go a year in advance. I might have some idea....but who knows. Plus things come up, its nice to have the freedom to book time off in shorter time frame. I suppose if you say, well I want two weeks off in July, then you've got it booked. Of course when July rolls around and you don't have a vacation booked, you just enjoy those two weeks off at home. :)