Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:05 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Does everybody in the UK walk around with a phone glued to their hands or stuck in their ears? Because that's what you've got to look forward to if you move to the US. It is actually illegal here to talk to anybody in the same room anymore.

I'm just saying.
I finally got a cellular phone this past Summer. First thing I did was call upstairs to my wife. It was free because both our phones are on the same plan or something.

Me: "Hey."

Wife: "Hey?"

Wife: Where the hell did you go? You were in the basement a minute ago."

Me: "I'm still in the basement."

Wife: "Why are you calling me on the phone then? Can't you walk upstairs, or just scream my name like you usually do?

Me: "I don't have to yell, and it's free!"

Wife: "Well, what do you want? This is stupid..."

Me: "Can you bring me a glass of milk and some Oreos?"

Wife: ............... click.

Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:06 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Good post Nicky, I'm highlighting that bit as it's the opposite for my husband, he feels there would be much greater job security for him in UK. Interesting, greatly dependent on the area of work.

I got the impression OP was an entrepreneur of some sort. I have seen self-employed people go bust here, but by playing the system they seem to manage all right, so it may still be a good place to do that.
Ooh I wonder who you are talking about

I have seen entrepreneur's excel in England more than I have here, we have a couple of good friends who have very nice lifestyles after setting up on their own back there.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Ooh I wonder who you are talking about

I have seen entrepreneur's excel in England more than I have here, we have a couple of good friends who have very nice lifestyles after setting up on their own back there.
Yeah but I'm talking about entrepreneurs who aren't actually any good
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:09 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I finally got a cellular phone this past Summer. First thing I did was call upstairs to my wife. It was free because both our phones are on the same plan or something.

Wife: "Why are you calling me on the phone then? Can't you walk upstairs, or just scream my name like you usually do?

Get walkie talkies and give one to your kids instead, I've discovered they will become your slaves when they have one.

You might get tired of yelling at them though to 'press the frinkin button while you are talking, over
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:12 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

She just doesn't want you to become a Gilbert Grape person who is too fat to go up the stairs to get their own cookies.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

You sound like my daughter, if I'm on the 'puter downstairs and she's on her's upstairs, she send me and IM to find out what's for dinner and when we're having it
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:18 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Does everybody in the UK walk around with a phone glued to their hands or stuck in their ears? Because that's what you've got to look forward to if you move to the US. It is actually illegal here to talk to anybody in the same room anymore.
Yes! I think it's also illegal to drive without a phone held to your ear as you devote all your attention to the conversation rather than the road.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:26 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Yes! I think it's also illegal to drive without a phone held to your ear as you devote all your attention to the conversation rather than the road.
At Tom Thumb yesterday ... everybody was shopping while talking LOUDLY into their ear buds/blue tooths - including the entire time they are checking out. These were not kids. These were people in their 40's, 50's and 60's. I realize that grocery shopping is not rocket surgery but I'm sure these people must make it home with the weirdest bunch of shit in their grocery bags.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
OK, this is a formal request to drop the side convo about the holiday booking, which is (still) not going anywhere.

There is generalizing going on about both places and none of the examples are going to apply to everyone/everywhere.

Please just drop it, or take it to PM.
thank you.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:31 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

.. I realize that grocery shopping is not rocket surgery ..........
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

At Tom Thumb yesterday ... everybody was shopping while talking LOUDLY into their ear buds/blue tooths - including the entire time they are checking out. These were not kids. These were people in their 40's, 50's and 60's. I realize that grocery shopping is not rocket surgery but I'm sure these people must make it home with the weirdest bunch of shit in their grocery bags.
I really don't like those ear piece things that people walk around talking into! I have interrupted so many peoples conversations by answering a question they were not asking me

We are going to turn into ignorant people eventually, because we are scared of opening our mouths when actually spoken too, for fear of looking like idiots
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I really don't like those ear piece things that people walk around talking into! I have interrupted so many peoples conversations by answering a question they were not asking me
Oh yes! You feel such a twit.

What about people who walk up and down declaiming, "You've never loved me, you were never there for me" etc while choosing their washing powder
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:48 pm
WTF?

What about in the public toilet?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:49 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I make loud noises and flush alot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.