Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Originally Posted by Elvira
Bloody hell, Sal............ you *compose* now...???

I'm the opposite of made of kent - anything over 1 sentence needs careful planning
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by radion
Are you kidding Lisa...this is after all the BE...
Most seem to have been dragged over to the US, and will no doubt spend the rest of their days remembering the good old days back in the UK.

My holidays have to be in for the full year by late Feb each year and has been that way since starting here 14yrs ago, that's of course after co-workers have their say first to be with kids, so I usually get the crap weeks off, Oh and so does my wife, end of Sept for her, in retail, so its a bitch to get time off together...but hay this cant be the case as it doesn't show the UK in a great way
Oh right. Well she's right then, less vacation time will mean less worry for you.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:26 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I personally really miss being able to take a day off for no good reason, I went from 30 days holiday in the UK plus Public Holidays, to 10 days in the States and 6 public.

I used to take a day off in December to go Christmas shopping, take a few days randomly in the summer to take my kid out for the day.... Now I never have a day off unless I've got a hotel booked.

Last edited by N1cky; Oct 5th 2009 at 4:37 pm. Reason: Hadn't seen the Mod's post before I carried the booking holiday's post on.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I've heard a few places like this but always found it more a case of some people DO book their holidays 12 months in advance to make sure they can have 2 weeks in July while the kids are out of school.

Then when other people wait until June and try to book time off in July they are told they can't because there isn't enough cover.

I personally really miss being able to take a day off for no good reason, I went from 30 days holiday in the UK plus Public Holidays, to 10 days in the States and 6 public.

I used to take a day off in December to go Christmas shopping, take a few days randomly in the summer to take my kid out for the day.... Now I never have a day off unless I've got a hotel booked.
Yesterday I mentioned to my daughter's boyfriend (Canadian) that 28 days holiday per year is the minimum now in the UK. Plus due to a new EU ruling if you're on holiday and you're sick you don't count it as part of your holiday entitlement. Somehow I don't think he believed me.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yesterday I mentioned to my daughter's boyfriend (Canadian) that 28 days holiday per year is the minimum now in the UK. Plus due to a new EU ruling if you're on holiday and you're sick you don't count it as part of your holiday entitlement. Somehow I don't think he believed me.
That's like when I tell my friends back in England that I only have 10 days holiday here, I don't think they really believe me.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by orangemirror
That's like when I tell my friends back in England that I only have 10 days holiday here, I don't think they really believe me.
People in the UK believe US has more of everything, including vacation time, I find.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:47 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
OK, this is a formal request to drop the side convo about the holiday booking, which is (still) not going anywhere.

There is generalizing going on about both places and none of the examples are going to apply to everyone/everywhere.

Please just drop it, or take it to PM.
thank you.
Right, from now on I'll stick to the objective and factual answers when discussing the original question "Is the US still a Dream worth pursuing?" We should have a decisive yes/no answer worked out in a few minutes.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Right, from now on I'll stick to the objective and factual answers when discussing the original question "Is the US still a Dream worth pursuing?" We should have a decisive yes/no answer worked out in a few minutes.
Put me down for a Yes.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:52 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
People in the UK believe US has more of everything, including vacation time, I find.
They think we're all desperate housewives living on Wisteria Lane...
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:53 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Does everybody in the UK walk around with a phone glued to their hands or stuck in their ears? Because that's what you've got to look forward to if you move to the US. It is actually illegal here to talk to anybody in the same room anymore.

I'm just saying.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:54 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Put me down for a Yes.
I'm still undecided. I don't think the American Dream is dead, or a myth, I'm just not sure it's worth pursuing. I hear it's all taxed to shit now.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but think how much less stress you have than having to deal with taking 28 days off
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:56 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StaryandStripey
Hi Everyone.

Is a life in the USA still a dream worth pursuing or is it a bad idea now?

With various cutbacks in spending (health, education, etc) is it worth it?

I'm looking to emigrate to the US on an EB-5 visa in a few years as admittedly, the US is where I would prefer to have my children born and raised as I believe they would have more opportunities.

But......?
It all depends on the kind of person you are and what line of work you are in.

My husband works in an industry with very few opportunities in the UK, redundancies are frequent and more people are trying to get into the industry meaning fewer jobs at a few companies.

For us a move to the States was a no brainer as far as his job was concerned. Although I find health care a major issue here, it doesn'e effect us at the moment as we both have good jobs with good healthcare. We are lucky enough to be able to afford private schooling for our daughter (which we also did in the UK) so again education cutbacks do not effect us, however in California especially this seems to be a major problem.

Its all comparative, there are lots of things I miss about England and that I feel are better there than here.

We have relative job security here though, which my hubby would never have in the UK, therefore meaning we can enjoy life a little more in terms of spending money on holidays and entertainment as we are more financially secure.

As far as opportunities for your future children are concerned? I don't feel my daughter has any better opportunities here than she did in England. The only opportunity I feel we are possibly giving her is US Citizenship (no guarantees at the moment) so she can choose to live and work in either the US or the UK.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elvira
They think we're all desperate housewives living on Wisteria Lane...

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Does everybody in the UK walk around with a phone glued to their hands or stuck in their ears? Because that's what you've got to look forward to if you move to the US. It is actually illegal here to talk to anybody in the same room anymore.

I'm just saying.
And the tappy tappy tappy of the texts - my daughter has it superglued to her fingers, she had a friend over for dinner who spent the entire meal texting
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by N1cky
Its all comparative, there are lots of things I miss about England and that I feel are better there than here.

We have relative job security here though, which my hubby would never have in the UK.
Good post Nicky, I'm highlighting that bit as it's the opposite for my husband, he feels there would be much greater job security for him in UK. Interesting, greatly dependent on the area of work.

I got the impression OP was an entrepreneur of some sort. I have seen self-employed people go bust here, but by playing the system they seem to manage all right, so it may still be a good place to do that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.