Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Some attention please!

Some attention please!

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Srna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to all
Default Re: Some attention please!

|Here's me (Srna) again
Guys,
first off all, thank you for your prompt responses and suggestions.
I gave microphone to my husband so he can tell you more clearly what we have done and not...
Elvira...you got that right ...He is a "sensible chap"...It's just that I am not happy here in London after a great life I myself had working in Florida as an RN...
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:29 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Srna
It's the husband here.............Yes, I do not particularly like the States. As my wife tells me, it is most likely because I was not able to get a relevant job (I think it is more than that as the US has never held any appeal for me, but no matter).

However, my wife is a US citizen and wants to return and I will ensure that. It would be nice if I could get a job that is commensurate with my skills and experience (i.e. business analyst to project manager), but if I have to go and sweep the streets then I will do that too (except that my wife won't let me).
I suspect your dislike of the US comes through when you go for interviews.

There is no point going back if you will have to just 'endure' it. You have tried it, and it did not work for you.

Since you are currently the breadwinner, help her adjust to the UK. Maybe somewhere other than London?

Is she a member of UK-Yankees? Some support from other US expats might help.

In any case I would not make this decision at this point, i.e. whilst she is pregnant. This is a difficult time for any woman.

Anyway, best of luck!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:29 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I would guess that in the US, the OP's husband lacks the 20 years of networking / connections to get the job that goes with the 20 years of experience. A common problem, and not easily fixed.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:30 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

PS: what would you be doing for insurance if you were to move to the US?

US childbirth is expensive!

Mothers get much more support in the UK.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:32 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
PS: what would you be doing for insurance if you were to move to the US?

US childbirth is expensive!

Mothers get much more support in the UK.
Including child benefits
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I would guess that in the US, the OP's husband lacks the 20 years of networking / connections to get the job that goes with the 20 years of experience. A common problem, and not easily fixed.
Nail -> head!

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

While in London, you might want to touch base with the US expat community.

http://american.meetup.com/

They have a pretty large group in London and it wouldn't hurt your networking / information gathering chances if you went out and met some of them at a party (they have lots of parties).
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:34 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Including child benefits
True - but I was thinking more of the home visits from health visitors for a month after the birth, and the frequent check-ups thereafter.

I wonder whether the OP is a member of the NCT (National Childbirth Trust) - an invaluable resource for pregnant women and new mothers.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:35 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
True - but I was thinking more of the home visits from health visitors for a month after the birth, and the frequent check-ups thereafter.

I wonder whether the OP is a member of the NCT (National Childbirth Trust) - an invaluable resource for pregnant women and new mothers.
I was just throwing in a reference to the topic on the MBTUK forum
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Srna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to all

Srna again,

Oh my god....Yes I am aware of NCT..etc..etc...I do not want to live in some English province! I'd rather live in any village in U.S.A. So, please do not try to persuade me to stay in U.K. when I've seen it already and had made my choice.

Standard of living as you all know (othewise you would not have left U.K.) is better is the U.S. And speaking of myself is even better, I do have a home there and had...a perfect job! It's just my husband...
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:38 pm
Slight chance of Showers

|Here's me (Srna) again
Guys,
first off all, thank you for your prompt responses and suggestions.
I gave microphone to my husband so he can tell you more clearly what we have done and not...
Elvira...you got that right ...He is a "sensible chap"...It's just that I am not happy here in London after a great life I myself had working in Florida as an RN...
What exactly is making you unhappy in London? Weather? Location?

It might be that the things that make you unhappy in London are what makes your hubby happy there and vice versa. As Elvira mentioned, there is more to the UK than just London ( and vice versa to USA - Florida). I'm sure you can find a compromise location where you are both happy, either US or UK.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:38 pm
Homebody

Srna again,

Oh my god....Yes I am aware of NCT..etc..etc...I do not want to live in some English province! I'd rather live in any village in U.S.A. So, please do not try to persuade me to stay in U.K. when I've seen it already and had made my choice.

Standard of living as you all know (othewise you would not have left U.K.) is better is the U.S. And speaking of myself is even better, I do have a home there and had...a perfect job! It's just my husband...
<<<sigh>>>

Last edited by Elvira; Mar 23rd 2007 at 6:41 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I thought her comment would make you change your tune.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 23rd 2007 at 6:51 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your comments and titles! I like Mr Snra

I used a lot of the on-line tech web-sites while I was in the States. I also visited some companies, called IT recruitment companies, employed the services of an employment consultant.

My experience was that recruiters were very enthusiastic when I told them about my skills and experience on the phone. Then I would send in my resume and call them back. It was at that point the problems would start. The person I spoke to would never be available to take my calls and never called back, no matter how many messages I left.

When I visited companies I spoke to people there, left my resume, filled in their application forms and then called back again to follow up. Same result!

I can find the jobs. There are a lot of jobs that I feel I am qualified to do. I (think) I do all the right things in terms of targetting my resume, cover letter, follow up calls, etc., but I never get to speak to anyone.

That is what I found most dispiriting about the whole thing.

And the reason for Florida is that is where my wife's family is. However, I think we've accepted that it is unlikely that we will start back there.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:43 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought her comment would make you change your tune.
Oops - I thought better of it - what's the point, and edited...

Maybe you could do the same?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.