Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Some attention please!

Some attention please!

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Srna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to all
Question Some attention please!

Ok...It is going to be very difficult to shorten this whole story into the least amount of sentences that will hopefully result in eventually good advice, but I'll try...
Anyway...I am a US citizen. Two years ago, I married my husband who is a British citizen (lived and worked in London). After we were married, obviously he was granted the famous GC and very soon we will need to apply for the removal of the conditions on that initial conditional GC.
In the meantime, my husband was desperately trying to find a job in U.S. - to be precise - in Florida (of all places ) which is where we lived (Saint Petersburg/Tampa area). Mind you, he was looking for a job anywhere in the States for that matter, but no luck for about one year since he got a work permit that enables him to work in the States. I will also point out that he is an IT consultant/project manager/business analyst type of combo ...
So... we decided to move to the U.K. (London)...I won't bother you with all the conversations btw us regarding the final decision to move, my husband's disgust with the US, his disappointment etc...but will say that I am pregnant (six months) and very depressed here in London...So, I am doing everything I can (and at this time it is not very much) so that as soon as the baby's born we go back to the States...My husband has agreed that he will be looking for a job in the States so hopefully he would have a job before we go back, but he is very very demoralized that he will ever succeed in it, thinking "if I have not found one while I was present in the States for a year, how will I find one now when I am not in the States"...
I try to give him my humble advice such as that on the applications he puts down that he already has those valuable papers such as GC and working permit, but he does not belive that it will ever work out...
So, my plea here is to ask any one of you to try to give us some pointers as far as what to do! How my husband will go about looking for a job in the States (anywhere) possibly where there is best demand and best chance of getting his type of job...
We are even doing the US taxes, meaning that my husband has to pay US taxes (where he could not find a job! ) while he is currently working in London as an IT consultant.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Some attention please!

Originally Posted by Srna View Post
Ok...It is going to be very difficult to shorten this whole story into the least amount of sentences that will hopefully result in eventually good advice, but I'll try...
Anyway...I am a US citizen. Two years ago, I married my husband who is a British citizen (lived and worked in London). After we were married, obviously he was granted the famous GC and very soon we will need to apply for the removal of the conditions on that initial conditional GC.
In the meantime, my husband was desperately trying to find a job in U.S. - to be precise - in Florida (of all places ) which is where we lived (Saint Petersburg/Tampa area). Mind you, he was looking for a job anywhere in the States for that matter, but no luck for about one year since he got a work permit that enables him to work in the States. I will also point out that he is an IT consultant/project manager/business analyst type of combo ...
So... we decided to move to the U.K. (London)...I won't bother you with all the conversations btw us regarding the final decision to move, my husband's disgust with the US, his disappointment etc...but will say that I am pregnant (six months) and very depressed here in London...So, I am doing everything I can (and at this time it is not very much) so that as soon as the baby's born we go back to the States...My husband has agreed that he will be looking for a job in the States so hopefully he would have a job before we go back, but he is very very demoralized that he will ever succeed in it, thinking "if I have not found one while I was present in the States for a year, how will I find one now when I am not in the States"...
I try to give him my humble advice such as that on the applications he puts down that he already has those valuable papers such as GC and working permit, but he does not belive that it will ever work out...
So, my plea here is to ask any one of you to try to give us some pointers as far as what to do! How my husband will go about looking for a job in the States (anywhere) possibly where there is best demand and best chance of getting his type of job...
We are even doing the US taxes, meaning that my husband has to pay US taxes (where he could not find a job! ) while he is currently working in London as an IT consultant.
Hi Srna new member - welcome to BE!

Sorry to say I found your post very confusing to read.
If your husband has a green card - why would he need a 'work permit' now?
I find it hard to believe that he could not get a job while he was here in the US unless he was setting his sights too high. Perhps he should look at a lower
level (as he doesn't have managerial experience here).
There is always a Walmart type job - just anything while he is looking around for something better.
It is strange that he would have to pay US taxes while being employed in London. Filing a US tax return maybe - but that's not the same thing.
Hopefully others can help you - perhaps in the immigration sub forum.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by farmerwife View Post
Hi Srna new member - welcome to BE!

Sorry to say I found your post very confusing to read.
If your husband has a green card - why would he need a 'work permit' now?
I find it hard to believe that he could not get a job while he was here in the US unless he was setting his sights too high. Perhps he should look at a lower
level (as he doesn't have managerial experience here).
There is always a Walmart type job - just anything while he is looking around for something better.
It is strange that he would have to pay US taxes while being employed in London. Filing a US tax return maybe - but that's not the same thing.
Hopefully others can help you - perhaps in the immigration sub forum.
Why would the Immigration forum be able to help? There is no immigration problem as far as I can see...she is a USC he has a GC.

He shouldn't find it too hard to find a job in IT...if they are flexible about location. Like you said perhaps he's set his sights too high.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Never place your immigration status on the table when applying for a job in the US if you're a permanent resident. However, I'm not sure whether your spouse is still one from what you've written so far.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Why would the Immigration forum be able to help? There is no immigration problem as far as I can see...she is a USC he has a GC.
Possible abandonment of status.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit View Post
Never place your immigration status on the table when applying for a job in the US if you're a permanent resident. However, I'm not sure whether your spouse is still one from what you've written so far.
maybe lowering his sights, looking a bit down the ladder and then working up when he is in employment. He cant be donald trump overnight.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

True...they've been married 2 yrs...he got his GC after the marriage. She doesn't say how long after or if he contacted USCIS of his intentions to stay in the UK.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:36 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say the same thing - it does sound like the green card would have been abandoned.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Srna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to all

Hi farmerwife...Thank you for your welcome!
Besides the green card there is a document that also requires a certain time to obtain (around 90 days) and is called Work Permit which was obtained before GC. So without all this my husband was not allowed to work in the U.S.
Anyway, that is not the problem as I've said, 'cause we have all of the necessary documents.
Yes, ...a lot of people told me that my husband has set his standards high...but he (my husband) does not think so. For a long time I was supporting him in his opinion, but after he lowered his standards and tried to find anything in his type of industry, he still was not successful.
And besides would you have anyone (of yours) with this type of education work in Walmart?!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

that's what I'm thinking...moved to the UK, the greencard is probably an ice scraper....and probably have to start again, but might get lucky...look into returning residence visa jobby.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Besides the green card there is a document that also requires a certain time to obtain (around 90 days) and is called Work Permit which was obtained before GC. So without all this my husband was not allowed to work in the U.S.
Anyway, that is not the problem as I've said, 'cause we have all of the necessary documents.
Yes, ...a lot of people told me that my husband has set his standards high...but he (my husband) does not think so. For a long time I was supporting him in his opinion, but after he lowered his standards and tried to find anything in his type of industry, he still was not successful.
And besides would you have anyone (of yours) with this type of education work in Walmart?!
What type of eduction? You haven't told us what his qualifications or experience are.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 23rd 2007 at 5:42 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

your talking about the EAD? If he has the greencard, he doesn't need the EAD...so did he actually get the greencard or were you still in AOS ?

And walmart...well beggars can't be choosers...and it's better to have a crap job than a gap in your employment history over here.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:42 pm
Septicity

How long have you been living in the UK?
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:43 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I get the impression that hubby isn't all too keen to live in the US...
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:46 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to try one of the more suitable areas for his profession. THere is of course California but also North Carolina has a large banking industry that uses lots of IT.

What type of job/salary is he looking for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.