Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Some attention please!

Some attention please!

Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some attention please!

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Realistically, job hunting requires being here. It's difficult to get what he's looking for here -- but it's virtually impossible working it from overseas. If his status is cooked, it's all academic anyway since it'll probably be another 12 months before he's paperworked-up to run again. So, yes, it is very relevant!!!
I agree, I think he'll likely have to jobhunt from here, presuming he gets back, which it appears they and their lawyer are confident of.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:33 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Srna
Tracym,
for the one and only interview (that was consisted of two parts , btw, more like two inerviews for the same company) that my hubby had so very early on upon his arrival to the States, he did go back and asked why he was not hired (what was wrong with him kind of question) and that particular company said that they would not reveal such an information. So go figure!
Your husband asked the wrong question. He should have asked for feedback on his performance at the interviews. Feedback, even negative, could have been helpful for future reference.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:39 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Realistically, job hunting requires being here. It's difficult to get what he's looking for here -- but it's virtually impossible working it from overseas. If his status is cooked, it's all academic anyway since it'll probably be another 12 months before he's paperworked-up to run again. So, yes, it is very relevant!!!
This was the point I was trying to make -- it's extremely relevant. I don't see how giving their timeline can hurt them in any way. Just because they have an attorney doesn't mean anything; attorneys have been known to be wrong before, after all.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
This was the point I was trying to make -- it's extremely relevant. I don't see how giving their timeline can hurt them in any way. Just because they have an attorney doesn't mean anything; attorneys have been known to be wrong before, after all.

~ Jenney
It may be. And if they want your advice on that part, I suppose they will give more information or ask for it.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Srna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to all

Wow! We have been popular in our absence!

Don't believe all the weather reports. It might have been 7C but it felt more Arctic than that!

Re: status. Actually, you can remain out of the US even longer than 2 years without jeopardising your status (makes it more difficult of course). It all hinges on intention to return to the US. Obviously we've taken all the steps that we can to demonstrate this: maintained a US residence, US bank accounts, we have family ties, etc.

Anyway, for all those of you who seem so curious about our status:

1) GC approved.
2) We came to the UK about a month later.
3) We've been back to the US twice since then.
4) Couple of questions both times, a bit hairy second time, but otherwise admitted no problem.
5) Applied for re-entry permit before departing US. Requirement is that you have to be physically in the US when you file. That's all you have to be able to prove. We delayed our return to ensure this.
6) Time line is that our 90 day period to lift the conditions starts in August.

For those who have offered to help, e.g. reviewing resume, giving useful web-sites, advice, etc. thanks. I really appreciate it.

BTW, not up on all the abbreviations: AOS? EA?

Mr LoopyLorns - spot on. Virtually entire career in international banking software, with some asset management to boot and retail banking too.

Hope that has answered everyone's questions
Old Mar 24th 2007, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Srna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mad Max7
Looks as if there is a bit of a issue here. If the hubby does not want to live or work in the US then nothing is gonna change that. Realistically it should have been something that was discussed along time ago to avoit complications!
Mad Max7,
my hubby (above ) is acutally very disappointed and demoralized by his bad luck with finding a job in the US , not with the country itself. O well , but that is an entirely different question to begin with... I myself am not born american, so I have my own opinions just like anyone of us when moved to another (non native) country, and that's that.
As far as our discussions "along time ago", trust me, that was never a problem
Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Mad Max7,
my hubby (above ) is acutally very disappointed and demoralized by his bad luck with finding a job in the US , not with the country itself. O well , but that is an entirely different question to begin with... I myself am not born american, so I have my own opinions just like anyone of us when moved to another (non native) country, and that's that.
As far as our discussions "along time ago", trust me, that was never a problem
Just out of interest, where are you from?
Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:40 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! We have been popular in our absence!

Don't believe all the weather reports. It might have been 7C but it felt more Arctic than that!

Re: status. Actually, you can remain out of the US even longer than 2 years without jeopardising your status (makes it more difficult of course). It all hinges on intention to return to the US. Obviously we've taken all the steps that we can to demonstrate this: maintained a US residence, US bank accounts, we have family ties, etc.

Anyway, for all those of you who seem so curious about our status:

1) GC approved.
2) We came to the UK about a month later.
3) We've been back to the US twice since then.
4) Couple of questions both times, a bit hairy second time, but otherwise admitted no problem.
5) Applied for re-entry permit before departing US. Requirement is that you have to be physically in the US when you file. That's all you have to be able to prove. We delayed our return to ensure this.
6) Time line is that our 90 day period to lift the conditions starts in August.

For those who have offered to help, e.g. reviewing resume, giving useful web-sites, advice, etc. thanks. I really appreciate it.

Abbreviations:

AOS = Adjustment of Status to permanent residency; ie, his green card interview
EAD = Employment Authorization Document; ie, the work permit he applied to prior to obtaining his green card
CPR = Conditional Permanent Residency (or Resident)

So he got his CPR in November 2005 and moved back to the UK in December 2005. But he didn't apply for the reentry permit (Form I-131) BEFORE he left in 2005. He didn't apply for it until a year after he moved back to the UK.

If his lawyer told him that he could obtain an approved reentry permit by simply applying for it while on holiday after he's been gone from the US for an entire year, I hope he's right. It just doesn't make sense to me how someone could expect to not have abandoned his/her permanent residency when nothing was done to avoid abandonment until a year later. As has been mentioned several times on these forums, maintaining a bank account and visiting a couple of times a year is not the same thing as actually residing here. I hope you come back and tell us how things go, as I'm sure there are several of us who are curious to see the outcome. Best of luck.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

Do the OPs realize that even if the I-131 is approved, it will only be valid until the date his two-year green card expires (which apparently will be "very soon")? This is assuming that he was eligible for a reentry permit in the first place, since he had already taken up residence in the UK by the time he filed. The I-131 states that the applicant can leave the US while the reentry permit application is being processed -- but you have to submit the application before processing can even begin, of course. If you've already left the US before you submit your application, are you even eligible for a reentry permit? If not, then you have to start the immigration process over from scratch.
they might have had a returning residence visa in the works..sb-1...
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure when Bob said "EA" he meant the company I work for... Electronic Arts - largest (third party) computer games developer and publisher in the world.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
I'm pretty sure when Bob said "EA" he meant the company I work for... Electronic Arts - largest (third party) computer games developer and publisher in the world.
Gizza job mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:23 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you have consulted some professionals about the liklihood of the following statement:

"Re: status. Actually, you can remain out of the US even longer than 2 years without jeopardising your status (makes it more difficult of course). It all hinges on intention to return to the US. Obviously we've taken all the steps that we can to demonstrate this: maintained a US residence, US bank accounts, we have family ties, etc."

What I'm assuming is that you are going for a 'Special Immigrant Visa' which is required when you go past the 2 year mark. While there is a chance of SB-1 Visa (which is what I'm assuming you are aiming for) you are going to have prove (beside just the residency stuff like house, bank, etc):

"You are returning from a temporary visit abroad and, if the stay was protracted, that it was caused by reasons beyond your control and for which you were not responsible;"

Taking employment in the UK (which is a question asked on form DS-117) might not be a good thing as it might show this was not a temporary trip nor that you were detained beyond your control.

http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm....htm#returning

Anyway, I guess you know the risks so good luck when the time comes.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Just out of interest, where are you from?
Hi anotherlimey ,
I was born in ex Yugoslavia, so I am Serbian and naturalized American.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I hope you have consulted some professionals about the liklihood of the following statement:

"Re: status. Actually, you can remain out of the US even longer than 2 years without jeopardising your status (makes it more difficult of course). It all hinges on intention to return to the US. Obviously we've taken all the steps that we can to demonstrate this: maintained a US residence, US bank accounts, we have family ties, etc."

What I'm assuming is that you are going for a 'Special Immigrant Visa' which is required when you go past the 2 year mark. While there is a chance of SB-1 Visa (which is what I'm assuming you are aiming for) you are going to have prove (beside just the residency stuff like house, bank, etc):

"You are returning from a temporary visit abroad and, if the stay was protracted, that it was caused by reasons beyond your control and for which you were not responsible;"

Taking employment in the UK (which is a question asked on form DS-117) might not be a good thing as it might show this was not a temporary trip nor that you were detained beyond your control.

http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm....htm#returning

Anyway, I guess you know the risks so good luck when the time comes.
Hi there too ,
We are aware of all the "dangers" naturally, but we hope for the best outcome. Like my husband pointed out, we have consulted a lawyer and based on what he has told us there should not be any problems. Of course, we can't take anything for granted which we are aware of.
As far as "reasons beyond our control" and working in U.K. , well, just me being pregnant and my husband not having a job in the USA would be a good enough of a detention beyond our control (for us at least )...We do understand all the risks involved though...After all that is why all the worry...:curse:
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
there the one's...the one's kicking us in the balls right now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.