Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help wanted WW2!

Help wanted WW2!

Old Sep 15th 2007, 1:50 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help wanted WW2!

Originally Posted by lisag8070
or you could say,

just remember where you all came from, your decendants from all the religous nuts (puritans, the military arm of the cathlic church) that were kicked out of England...
uh, don't forget the Irish, Germans, Dutch, Poles, Swedes, Norwegians etc, etc. The majority of the people who settled here were not "kicked out"..........

Frankly the wittiest comeback and most non offensive (yet still making a point) would be the comment about speaking English rather than Spanish etc, etc.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 1:51 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
Considering he could have ended up being just a fat guy with a cigar, he was truly an inspirational genius. I can't think of a man in history I would rather meet.
even if he was half American,
Old Sep 15th 2007, 1:53 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I am the first to admit that the Soviets played a decisive role in the European war (as you will see if you read back on this very thread), but exactly how is this a point of pride?

The Stalinist Soviets were utterly ruthless and had zero respect for human life. At times, half of their troops were sent to the lines unarmed, with the expectation that they'd eventually acquire a weapon from a dead comrade on the battlefield.

They lost millions in large part because they regarded humans as meat for the killing machine. If they actually cared about people, they probably would have had a lot fewer casualties. Even the Germany regular army (not the SS) was often more humane than they.
I can't deny it......

but we're talking taking the piss here........not AJP Taylor......
Old Sep 15th 2007, 1:56 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
uh, don't forget the Irish, Germans, Dutch, Poles, Swedes, Norwegians etc, etc. The majority of the people who settled here were not "kicked out"..........

Frankly the wittiest comeback and most non offensive (yet still making a point) would be the comment about speaking English rather than Spanish etc, etc.
I know thats true, but we're only suggesting witty comebacks nothing more, didn't mean to offend anyone, sorry
Old Sep 15th 2007, 1:59 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Cindy.........we are actually intending to be offensive here.

"If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German"
is basically showing a red rag to a bull........
Old Sep 15th 2007, 2:01 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by lisag8070
I know thats true, but we're only suggesting witty comebacks nothing more, didn't mean to offend anyone, sorry
I have only ever hear grumbling about the French when WWII is mentioned, and due to the age of the vets now, that is becoming increasingly rare.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

As a daughter of a WWII vet ,IF that were said to me with no provocation on my part, I'd probably deck the commentator.
Right on Cindy. Right on.
Reg. Frank R. ::
Old Sep 15th 2007, 3:02 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Das einzig interesseante an deiner Lebensgeschichte ist, wie du aus dem Versuchslabor entkommen bist
meaning
The only interesting thing in your history is how you escaped from the laboratory.

or
Dan shwince ist soo cline
meaning
your dick is very small....
Old Sep 15th 2007, 3:20 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I have only ever hear grumbling about the French when WWII is mentioned, and due to the age of the vets now, that is becoming increasingly rare.
It's not the Vets that are saying shit like this, they know better and have much more respect and class. It's the ignorant grandchildren that were raised in freedom and relative peace due to the sacrifices of their Grandparents. They think of WW2 no differently than last week's ballgame.

I would never say anything to diminish the heroism, courage and sacrifice of the citizens of Great Britain during that time. I tend to believe Brits wouldn't be speaking German now even if the Nazis had taken Britain because they would have had to kill every last one of you to do it.

I do know that once we got in it, we gave %110 both in theatre and at home. We did our fair share and I will not allow anyone to say different.

All that said, this whole argument is like two kids arguing over wether it was the first or last point their team scored that won the game. What the hell difference does it make? They needed both!

My suggestion to the OP is that after the trading of insults is over, use this as an opportunity to educate the ignorant SOBs about the horror of the Blitz, about city blocks being turned into rubble, about people dieing in their houses, nightly air raids , children being evacuated to the country and about the defense in the Battle of Britain. Then tell him about how all this was done not in some far off land, but in your Grandparents back yard as his Grandparents were listening to it on the radio news over two years before Pearl Harbor.

They might tell you to piss off, but they might also think twice about being so flippant when it comes to such a glorious, hideous, triumphant, horrific time in both our histories.

Old Sep 15th 2007, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Lets not forget the Italians, they were there, making Spaghetti & holding the coats. Their only problem, they could not work out which side to serve the Spaghetti to.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
It's not the Vets that are saying shit like this, they know better and have much more respect and class. It's the ignorant grandchildren that were raised in freedom and relative peace due to the sacrifices of their Grandparents. They think of WW2 no differently than last week's ballgame.

I would never say anything to diminish the heroism, courage and sacrifice of the citizens of Great Britain during that time. I tend to believe Brits wouldn't be speaking German now even if the Nazis had taken Britain because they would have had to kill every last one of you to do it.

I do know that once we got in it, we gave %110 both in theatre and at home. We did our fair share and I will not allow anyone to say different.

All that said, this whole argument is like two kids arguing over wether it was the first or last point their team scored that won the game. What the hell difference does it make? They needed both!

My suggestion to the OP is that after the trading of insults is over, use this as an opportunity to educate the ignorant SOBs about the horror of the Blitz, about city blocks being turned into rubble, about people dieing in their houses, nightly air raids , children being evacuated to the country and about the defense in the Battle of Britain. Then tell him about how all this was done not in some far off land, but in your Grandparents back yard as his Grandparents were listening to it on the radio news over two years before Pearl Harbor.

They might tell you to piss off, but they might also think twice about being so flippant when it comes to such a glorious, hideous, triumphant, horrific time in both our histories.

Great reply, well put.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 4:14 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Mach es dir selber
Deine mutter hat haarige arschbacken
Du bist doch dumm wie Brot
Seh ich deine fette Freundin, denke ich Deutsche Panzer rollen wieder.
Das einzig interesseante an deiner Lebensgeschichte ist, wie du aus dem Versuchslabor entkommen bist

"Dein Schwanz ist so klein"
Old Sep 15th 2007, 4:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by frrussre
Lets not forget the Italians, they were there, making Spaghetti & holding the coats. Their only problem, they could not work out which side to serve the Spaghetti to.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 4:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Manc
I can't deny it......

but we're talking taking the piss here........not AJP Taylor......
"Just Kidding"
Old Sep 15th 2007, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Cool Re: Help wanted WW2!

Originally Posted by Sally
Hope I have not upset any Italians?
Reg. Frank R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.