Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help wanted WW2!

Help wanted WW2!

Old Sep 16th 2007, 7:45 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help wanted WW2!

Originally Posted by TruBrit
well they did bomb our chippy
Old Sep 16th 2007, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
well they did bomb our chippy
They dropped a big f**ker on my Grans house, well it blow one side of it off anyway, she lost most of her hearing thanks to that experience.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 7:54 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

OK, as this is going of the original topic, I have a question to those more historically schooled than I.
Why is it Americans believe if it wasnt for them we would all be talking German?
I belive there were many factors that led to the defeat of the Axis. The US supplying bodies and weapons, Stalingrad and the Battle of Britain all spring to mind!
Old Sep 16th 2007, 7:58 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
OK, as this is going of the original topic, I have a question to those more historically schooled than I.
Why is it Americans believe if it wasnt for them we would all be talking German?
I belive there were many factors that led to the defeat of the Axis. The US supplying bodies and weapons, Stalingrad and the Battle of Britain all spring to mind!
ohh, thats it stir up the hornets nest again why don'tcha
Old Sep 16th 2007, 7:59 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

wish my old dad was here, he'd tell them
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Rather than take generalized potshots, why not point out the factual errors that I made above (if you can find any)?
Like the factual error where you claim in your reply to me that its the US fighting in Iraq and not the "allies? That kind of factual error? Pratt!

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Do you actually disagree that the US decisively defeated the Iraqi army?
YES!! I dispute that.

Like I said..it was the ALLIES that defeated the Iraqi's not the US but as is your national character you have to take all the glory for yourself.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by elfman
Are you seriously saying there's no difference between the ignorant "you'd all be speaking German...." crap and a well informed, reasoned post like RoadWarrior's above? If so, then you're in danger of coming across as ignorant as the poeple you're complaining about - and you're maybe not the only one on this thread.
How exactly was a USC saying that it was "the US forces that defeated the Iraqi's" a well informed post?
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britvic
Well we all get very touchy when talking about War, just as well we've got no German's on this thread But I have to own up to now having a German Surname.
Victoria Himmler?
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Victoria Himmler?
I have no secrets, the name is Geiger actually.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

There is a very good argument that says the opposite of this...that it would infact be the Americans speaking German now if it were not for the British. (OK maybe not speaking German but being defeated by them). Heres the argument why.
From 1939 to 1941/42 when the US was sitting with its thumb up its arse while the real supporters of freedom and democracy were fighting for it the Germans were working on rockets and nuclear fusion....even the German post office were working on nuclear weapons. Now the RAF were bombing the snot out of the munitions factories producing these rockets and experimenting in nuclear physics. Meanwhile, and this is a well known fact, German U boats were patrolling well within US waters up and down the eastern seaboard of the USA.
Ask yourself this, as the US had a smaller armed forces at the start of the war (our start, not theres 1939) than even the Dutch armed forces, had the RAF not been bombing rocket factories, munitions plants and German weapons research labs and do you really think that Adolf Hitler wouldve waited for the Japs to Bomb Pearl Harbour (though quite how a small nation acroos the world managed to sale its fleet across the Pacific and sink most of the Pacific fleet of the greatest nation on the Earth is a mystery ) when he knew the US entering the war was inevitable? No, as he had U boats a few miles off the coast of Washington, New York and Norfolk Virginia you can beat the U boats would have been converted to be capable of firing these weapons straight at NYC, DC Norfolk naval base, Paris Island and Philadelphia. As US public opinion was dead set against entering the war (and defending Freedom, Liberty and the right of Europeans to pursue happiness) do you think they would have gone to war or showed Hitler their armpits?

What that great History scholar Roadwankerfromlonelyplanet fails to remember is that Napolean fell under exactly the same trap as Hitler did in much the same manner. Fighting on 2 fronts, against the Russians to the East and the rest of Europe to the west. Napolean was by far a better tactition that Hitler and he was defeated without the help of the US....(we were probably fighting them somewhere at that time anyway). So for him to assume that the Allies needed the US forces to be prevented from speaking German, especially as we had already seen off Hitlers "Operation Sealion" at its first stage (The Battle of Britain) is utter bollocks....I will admit we needed their arms, munitions, fuel blah blah blah but for him to say the US could've defeated the Germans on their own is a slap in the face and a complete nonsense. He needs to maybe look up and see how well equipped and numbered the US forces were in 1939 and maybe he'll get some enlightenment.

Now while I may word my posts like a rabid dog dont make the mistake of thinking theres no facts or substance to what I write...big mistake. I just write, as I do most things, with a passion.

PS Rob. Get the DVD's "The World at War". I got them after Lionheart told me he had them.....all the replies you'll ever need to your colleagues are there and its all narrated from a historically factual point of view and not with politics or a US rose tinted view of history.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

I have no secrets, the name is Geiger actually.
So you say

Vicky Rommel
Old Sep 16th 2007, 9:09 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I must say I didn't understand that response to ABY's statment either. A joke is when something is funny, not some ham handed misinformed statement.
In my world, and I think this is probably true for most Americans, saying "if it wasn't for us, you'd be speaking German" is such a ludicrous statement that it's become a cliche. The stupid, arrogant American saying that to British people is sort of like the villain in an old movie twisting his waxed mustache as he says "curses, foiled again!": it can't possibly be taken seriously.

Hell, Kevin Kline even made fun of the line (as the archetypal stupid, arrogant, baseball-hatted, childish American) in "A Fish Called Wanda" 20 years ago. I guess I could be wrong, but I highly doubt that the people saying this to the OP were serious. IMO, either they were:

a. making a joke
-or-
b. so ridiculously stupid that they're not worth bothering with

Either way, it's not worth taking it so seriously and trying to "teach them a history lesson".

Last edited by Hiro11; Sep 16th 2007 at 9:13 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rushman
So you say

Vicky Rommel
Dont you think people with Surnames like Himmler & Rommel changed there names after the War ? I mean I've never heard either of them name's now days.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 9:15 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Dont you think people with Surnames like Himmler & Rommel changed there names after the War ? I mean I've never heard either of them name's now days.
or Hitler.........
Old Sep 16th 2007, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hiro11
In my world, and I think this is probably true for most Americans, saying "if it wasn't for us, you'd be speaking German" is such a ludicrous statement that it's become a cliche. The stupid, arrogant American saying that to British people is sort of like the villain in an old movie twisting his waxed mustache as he says "curses, foiled again!": it can't possibly be taken seriously.
Thank you and agreed it shouldnt be taken seriously....and as British expats it probably wasn't for the first 500 times we heard it.

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Either way, it's not worth taking it so seriously and trying to "teach them a history lesson".
True....but better than resorting to quietly smacking the office wanker in the mouth on your ciggie break.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.