Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help wanted WW2!

Help wanted WW2!

Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help wanted WW2!

Originally Posted by Rete
I have to say you Brits meet up with the strangest people in the States. I'm 59 years old and no one I know of has talked about WW2 other than my husband and my father and then only because of a movie they were watching.

Wonder if it isn't something that you Brits are saying or projecting about yourselves that make these Americans want to on your nerves like you apparently have gotten on theirs ;-)
Well I've come face to face with it many a time "oh yes I love Military do's" NOT they think there being funny
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:23 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Hey Guys
I am getting so fed up with the "If it wasnt for the US you would all be speaking German" brigade at work. I need some comebacks that will make them look like the propergander believing twats they are!
Rob
Yes, and on behalf of the British people we are very grateful.

by the way, it started in 1939.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say you Brits meet up with the strangest people in the States. I'm 59 years old and no one I know of has talked about WW2 other than my husband and my father and then only because of a movie they were watching.

Wonder if it isn't something that you Brits are saying or projecting about yourselves that make these Americans want to on your nerves like you apparently have gotten on theirs ;-)
in my case they hear my british accent and that starts them off
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:27 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

or piss back on their chips.

The Russians lost more people at Stalingrad than you guys did in the entire war..and they still beat you to Berlin.......
The Americans didn't win the war, the Commies did.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:42 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Remind them that they did not rescue us from an invasion. We went to war to help our allies, we declared war on Germany (not the other way round). In fact Germany initially wanted England to be their allies.

Russia sacrificed far more lives to end the war than either England or the USA ever did.

Many Americans seem to forget that they were invaded during WW2 in the battle of the Aleutian Islands. Alaska was a US Territory (statehood was granted in 1959). The battle marked the only time since the war of 1812 that a US territory in North America has been occupied by a foreign power. With the help of the Canadians they got it back a year later.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:49 pm

Ask them how the Battle of Los Angeles played out -
Initially the target of the barrage was thought to be an attacking force from Japan, but it was later suggested to be a lost weather balloon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Los_Angeles

Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:52 pm

Do people talk to you in general?

Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Those SEVEN American pilots who took part in the battle of Britain must have been pretty special.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bob1940/roll.html
Actually, yes. There was more to the battle of Britain than just the roll call. Over the course of 3 months or so, a few can contribute more than you might expect especially when you consider how the skies were patrolled and how many of the dead were kids on their first real flight. I forget but I believe that there were a few more than 7 but they were listed on the official roll with other citizenships because of the neutrality laws. I hear that there is a movie about one of the American pilots it coming out next year but it is pretty factually incorrect so yet another thing to piss people off and mask what really happened.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Let me turn this back to mt original question. I need some smart one liners to get them to shut up.....
Come on, were meant to be the witty Brits
Rob
Admit defeat...your thread's already been hijacked.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:12 pm

This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Admit defeat...your thread's already been hijacked.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.
A master with words was the man himself
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:16 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh crap, its time for Status Quo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hddjDyYdI0
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:39 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Actually, yes. There was more to the battle of Britain than just the roll call. Over the course of 3 months or so, a few can contribute more than you might expect especially when you consider how the skies were patrolled and how many of the dead were kids on their first real flight. I forget but I believe that there were a few more than 7 but they were listed on the official roll with other citizenships because of the neutrality laws. I hear that there is a movie about one of the American pilots it coming out next year but it is pretty factually incorrect so yet another thing to piss people off and mask what really happened.
perhaps you're thinking of the Eagle squadrons - they were several whole RAF squadrons made up of American pilots, but the first of those didn't become operational until six months after the Battle of Britain.

Edit: wikipedia seems to suggest that the figure of seven includes those who lied about their nationality:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Bri...s_contribution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Fiske

Last edited by elfman; Sep 14th 2007 at 11:51 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.