Friends

Old May 26th 2007, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Friends

Originally Posted by haggerwood
If any of my other friends die then you may be able to apply early
Oh ok, I shall hope for an early demise or two
Old May 26th 2007, 12:38 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Well yes, we both find that a bit much. Which is why I said "poor Keith" - regaled with tales of people's scottish ancestors, etc.

My actual friends seem to genuinely like him though.
I always get that crap too. People say "Ohhhh my Great Grandmother was from wigglebottom hill in worcestershire is that near where you live" and I say
"No I've never heard of tha bloody place but I am from near London" and they say "London ? .... hmmm is that in Italy ?" Seriously I swear that is what someone said to me recently.
Old May 26th 2007, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I always get that crap too. People say "Ohhhh my Great Grandmother was from wigglebottom hill in worcestershire is that near where you live" and I say
"No I've never heard of tha bloody place but I am from near London" and they say "London ? .... hmmm is that in Italy ?" Seriously I swear that is what someone said to me recently.
PMSL. The fake Scottish accents are particularly fun too. As Keith says "gag". Makes me rather ashamed to be 'septic' when people put on the awful accents.

Then of course, there was the guy who showed up at my house in kilt, complete with bagpipes (which he played - badly). Also helpfully told us Scotsmen were supposed to be 'true' (i.e. nothing under the kilt). Dogs found that fascinating - I did not.

Embarassing, truly.
Old May 26th 2007, 12:45 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

PMSL. The fake Scottish accents are particularly fun too. As Keith says "gag". Makes me rather ashamed to be 'septic' when people put on the awful accents.

Then of course, there was the guy who showed up at my house in kilt, complete with bagpipes (which he played - badly). Also helpfully told us Scotsmen were supposed to be 'true' (i.e. nothing under the kilt). Dogs found that fascinating - I did not.

Embarassing, truly.
Also the whole "edinburgggg" thing is funny. I don't mind the fake accents as much because apparently I have a fake Australian accent myself according to my co-workers probably from watching "Neighbours" too much.
Most of the Americans I am friends with though are only 2nd or 3rd generation yanks though. I don't think I have ever been friends with any of those people who harp on about the Mayflower and all that crap.
Old May 26th 2007, 1:14 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

one idiot asked me if london was in paris? and another guy asked me what language we spoke in england. but to be fair neither were W.A.S.P.S (white anglo saxons).

Last edited by leonatlanta; May 26th 2007 at 1:21 am. Reason: for my own reasons
Old May 26th 2007, 1:20 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Also the whole "edinburgggg" thing is funny. I don't mind the fake accents as much because apparently I have a fake Australian accent myself according to my co-workers probably from watching "Neighbours" too much.
Most of the Americans I am friends with though are only 2nd or 3rd generation yanks though. I don't think I have ever been friends with any of those people who harp on about the Mayflower and all that crap.
i just bought a new townhome (called manchester place - go google you stalkers), one model was called edinburgh, american sales woman pronounced it "edinburgggg". my last home was called a "wimbeldon", sales reps called it "wimpleton", why?????
Old May 26th 2007, 1:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by leonatlanta
one idiot asked me if london was in paris? and another guy asked me what language we spoke in england. but to be fair neither were W.A.S.P.S (white anglo saxons).
One girl at my work thought Spain was in England.
Old May 26th 2007, 1:29 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

The class thing is another story. I wonder if the middle class who want to be upper middle are so concerned with the money the want to have, or want you to think they have.

That's definitely LA
Old May 26th 2007, 1:29 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
The reason why US folk don't have the social lives that the rest of the world have is due to the work situation - the pressure and hours that they're required to put in and also the attitude of 'having my kid do everything that they can, cram as much into the day as possible' that they have. Kids can't be left alone to get bored. They have to have this and that and that activity throughout the day or the parents feel they're failing them. That leaves precious little time for outsiders.
I agree don't know what it is about the US that parents feel they need to cram kids social activities into every night, driving them there, and seem to pride themselves on being so busy with their kids....

Also have noticed that the social structure here seems to be all round the family..social outings etc and if you meet any friends etc its through going to the ball game etc.
But I suppose since Americans work so long hours and few bank holidays off they want to spend it with their children.

It is so fundamentally different how the US and UK make and maintain friendships.
Old May 26th 2007, 1:30 am
Banned

One girl at my work thought Spain was in England.
that's just dumb, really stupid.
Old May 26th 2007, 1:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
I agree don't know what it is about the US that parents feel they need to cram kids social activities into every night, driving them there, and seem to pride themselves on being so busy with their kids....

Also have noticed that the social structure here seems to be all round the family..social outings etc and if you meet any friends etc its through going to the ball game etc.
But I suppose since Americans work so long hours and few bank holidays off they want to spend it with their children.

It is so fundamentally different how the US and UK make and maintain friendships.

uk = pub culture, usa = family culture.
Old May 26th 2007, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

uk = pub culture, usa = family culture.
In a nut shell. But to some that might sound like we are all piss heads and dont give a toss about our kid's.
Old May 26th 2007, 1:36 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

*Groan......*

I've heard this stuff so much now, I've reached the point where I just switch off mentally........ Can't help it........

........which is probably why its not easy to make friends when you have to repeat the same stuff for the nth time and its still the first time someone else has ever heard about the UK and its a novelty for them......can't blame them........ but more than once, I've thought of carrying 3x5 cards with it all written down on.......

Then again, its fun to mess with people as well.........

Yes, the Police have guns.......they keep them under their funny hats
Yes, everyone eats muffins at 2pm with the Queen and her corgis
No, we actually drive on the right
No, the Queen is actually elected
Yes, Cricket is actually just like Baseball
Soccer is a game played by one-legged dwarves called Cyril and only on Wednesdays........etc,etc.....

Ho hum.......time to mow the lawn.
Old May 26th 2007, 1:39 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

that's just dumb, really stupid.
Its also really funny......

I was once asked if I had been a serf. No kidding........a bloody "serf" But then, it was in Cali.......so there you go.
Old May 26th 2007, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
*Groan......*

I've heard this stuff so much now, I've reached the point where I just switch off mentally........ Can't help it........

........which is probably why its not easy to make friends when you have to repeat the same stuff for the nth time and its still the first time someone else has ever heard about the UK and its a novelty for them......can't blame them........ but more than once, I've thought of carrying 3x5 cards with it all written down on.......

Then again, its fun to mess with people as well.........

Yes, the Police have guns.......they keep them under their funny hats
Yes, everyone eats muffins at 2pm with the Queen and her corgis
No, we actually drive on the right
No, the Queen is actually elected
Yes, Cricket is actually just like Baseball
Soccer is a game played by one-legged dwarves called Cyril and only on Wednesdays........etc,etc.....

Ho hum.......time to mow the lawn.
I was asked the other day, do we Brit's have high tea I just said I've never heard of English Muffin's till I came over here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.