Friends

Old May 28th 2007, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Friends

Originally Posted by Bob
you've got those same living expenses over here that is tacked on to tuition costs though as well as books, cafeteria food etc....
I'm not sure of all the details, but there are circumstances where school loans in the US can be deferred for years, I know someone who's done it. I think perhaps there are some income limits (much lower than the UK though I suspect).

I think what Keith was talking about with the loans, and living expenses etc. - not to say it costs more in the UK, I'm sure it doesn't. But there's a limit to the loan amount per year, which he believes wouldn't cover tuition and lodging costs etc. without some other money from somewhere. Apparently Tony Blair reduced government help for education (so I'm told, tell me if that's wrong).

In the U.S., parents are expected to contribute. But if they're poor, or someone's going to college after they are independent, I believe that loans sufficient to cover tuition and lodging (at least at a state school) are available.
Old May 28th 2007, 12:33 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
In the US, if you don't have a four-year degree, you're locked out of certain jobs and your social status suffers. That's an educational class division that is NOT present in Europe, at least not yet.

In the US, your "class" is determined by how much money you make. Secondary to that is your educational attainment.

In Europe it has more to do with which family you were born into, though that is changing with the times.
Ch-ch-ch.......chaaanges.....

We'll all probably meet somewhere in the middle.......
Old May 28th 2007, 1:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There are 4 yr masters as well...I someone at St Andrews whose just graduated.
aye, true, but the normal out there is 3 years, plus one for honours, whilst the norm in the rest of the UK is 3 years including honours, as long as you get the grades for it.
Old May 28th 2007, 1:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I'm not sure of all the details, but there are circumstances where school loans in the US can be deferred for years, I know someone who's done it. I think perhaps there are some income limits (much lower than the UK though I suspect).

I think what Keith was talking about with the loans, and living expenses etc. - not to say it costs more in the UK, I'm sure it doesn't. But there's a limit to the loan amount per year, which he believes wouldn't cover tuition and lodging costs etc. without some other money from somewhere. Apparently Tony Blair reduced government help for education (so I'm told, tell me if that's wrong).

In the U.S., parents are expected to contribute. But if they're poor, or someone's going to college after they are independent, I believe that loans sufficient to cover tuition and lodging (at least at a state school) are available.
oh sure, some people can defer for years, but the threshold is just above being on welfare, so not viable for most people.

And student loans in the UK, yes, they are crap, but they are expected to just cover tuition, your expected to work or get student overdraft/credit card to cover costs...and most banks offer interest free overdrafts and credit cards with a good limit, £1500 a year, and you have 3 years to pay it off interest free after you graduate unless you got for a masters, with HSBC at least. You do get more money for loans if your studying in London, which is how I blagged more money because my main campus was in Uxbridge, so I used that address.....people studying in Oxford would certainly struggle to come up with the cash without rich folks or a job....but then again, there's plenty of student jobs in cafes, pubs and various shops.
Old May 31st 2007, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
When I am asked the question do you plan on staying in the US I usually give the same answer... 'well it depends on my husband, if something happens to him or our marriage, no I will go back to the UK'. My reason? without my husband I would be very lonely. I have been here almost 5 years and have had a tough time making friends.

In the UK I had a real close group of friends we would call into each others homes and have coffee we would go shopping together and get together every weekend for a drink. It is a whole different story this side of the pond. I do get invited places weddings, leaving parties with girls from work that kind of thing but never getting together just for the sake of it. I have tried to be friendly with other mums at the park or the kids play area at the mall too.

Seems like everything in West Michigan revolves around church... maybe it is time to bite the bullet and find a church, seems like the wrong reason to go to church though.

Anyone else found/finding it tough to make friends?

Ash

Hi Ash,
Seems like alot of us on here have that problem.
Its weird.
Does it just get harder ?
Like you it was very different for me back in uk.
Here I have some friends but we mainly meet for holiday things or each others Birthdays. And that can be months in between times.
Realise how much easier it was just hanging out at home with mates.
Dont have the "Best Friend" thing here where I could tell them anything.
And I guess the only way we will make new friends is to join some groups.
Does seem like church is the big thing. But thats not for me either.

Take care.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

There are 300 million plus people in this country. I am sure that there is a friend out there for you! I guess I have become Americanised as I use my OUTLOOK calendar to schedule meet ups with friends. I think it's just part of being busy and wanting to respect each others time. When I am at home in the UK and friends just 'pop round', I can find that intrusive, but I do 'go with the flow'. At first, however, I found the US quite isolating. I think that this was because people drive everywhere, people stay in their clicks, people my age (late 30's) are married with kids for the most part and I am not (divorced).One thing I found here was that if someone is in a relationship they tend to spend most of their time with their partner or with other couples. People in couples don't mix with singles (I am generalising). Also, people in couples don't often go out on their own with their same gender friends. I found people in England much more flexible about friendships and the types of friendships they had. When I was married and I said to my wife that we should have one night a week to go out with our own friends or maybe go out with work colleagues for happy hour, she found that very strange. Most of my family members do that kind of thing in the UK. I have since accepted these differences, but they can still be difficult for me.