Friends

Old May 26th 2007, 6:40 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Friends

I've been exploring colleges in the UK for the kid and even in London, dorms are not that expensive.
Old May 26th 2007, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
There's innocence.......... and then there's innocence.

Just because they've 'done it' doesn't mean that they have a clue about ........... things that I know.

Which may or may not be worth knowing...
things that u know...... i am sitting here waiting for the elaboration!! Please pray tell. I have watched a morning of mr ramsey screaming in kitchens and putting kilts on french men.. nothing u say will shock me. However TELL ME WHAT EXPERIENCE YOU GOT THAT I MIGHT BE LACKING AND IN DIRE NEED OF!!!
Old May 26th 2007, 6:59 am
medusas peligrosas

mozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond repute

So how many friends do y'all really have?
Old May 26th 2007, 7:09 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
things that u know...... .............TELL ME WHAT EXPERIENCE YOU GOT THAT I MIGHT BE LACKING AND IN DIRE NEED OF!!!
Of course darling - but first I need to know what experience you have............. otherwise how would I know what you might be lacking...
Old May 26th 2007, 7:19 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira
Of course darling - but first I need to know what experience you have............. otherwise how would I know what you might be lacking...
*snort*
Old May 26th 2007, 8:30 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Apparently I can't communicate what I mean properly in this case, sometimes it is so hard to do so in writing.
I have that problem all the time So when is Keith coming over for good?
Old May 26th 2007, 9:10 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
its not that easy, but it probably depends on a number of factors.

my wife is very gregarious and because of that we meet many people. I meet lots of blokes through her (boyfriends of her girlfriends) who invite me out for beers and boys nights out, but its very difficult to balance it considering all the other things i have going on...
Is this the smuggest post ever ???
Old May 26th 2007, 9:55 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I've been exploring colleges in the UK for the kid and even in London, dorms are not that expensive.
My eldest is going to college here in Sept and most of her UK friends are starting Uni too this year.
The majority of them are paying 3000GBP which their parents think is extortionate!!! All of them are taking out student loans, which they will begin to pay back when they are earning a certain amount.
We looked at some UK Art schools for my daughter and although the tuition was cheaper than here the accommodation was very expensive.

As an instate here she will ( correction.. we will) pay about $15,000 per year including accommodation, meal plan, a small amount of spending money and some books. This is the colleges estimate and I am sure we will pay more for the books and pocket money but the tuition and dorm are fixed.
The places we looked at in the UK were 3000GBP but the accommodation was more than the tuition! Then there was food and spending and books plus of course flights back to the USA.

In the end she preferred to stay here because she didn't want to be more than 2 or 3 hours away and a lot of her friends will be at nearby colleges.
Old May 26th 2007, 9:56 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mozoo
So how many friends do y'all really have?
The real ones or the pretend ones?
Old May 26th 2007, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Pretend one's, sum's them up very nicely.
Old May 26th 2007, 10:40 am
Account Closed

The kid wants to study engineering with a particular focus. Over here, he'd have to go to a private university. Tuition? 40k per year and up. It is crazy.

I found the accomodation pretty reasonable - 300 to 400 pounds a month in London. If he gets into unie in Manchester which is his preferred one of choice, he can stay with a close friend of mine who lives in a village a small ways away.

Plus, I think most undergrad degrees here are not worth the paper they're written on, not even from the top places. I just got talking to someone I know this week, her daughter graduated magna cum laude from a top private university and went over to the Uk to do her Masters. She was in tears every day for months telling her mother she wanted to drop out as it was so very hard. Sounds about right.

Also I read Dr Thomas Sewell's (a Fellow at a prominent think tank), who agrees. That even Ivy League undergrad degrees in the US are sub-standard compared to most developed countries.

My eldest is going to college here in Sept and most of her UK friends are starting Uni too this year.
The majority of them are paying 3000GBP which their parents think is extortionate!!! All of them are taking out student loans, which they will begin to pay back when they are earning a certain amount.
We looked at some UK Art schools for my daughter and although the tuition was cheaper than here the accommodation was very expensive.

As an instate here she will ( correction.. we will) pay about $15,000 per year including accommodation, meal plan, a small amount of spending money and some books. This is the colleges estimate and I am sure we will pay more for the books and pocket money but the tuition and dorm are fixed.
The places we looked at in the UK were 3000GBP but the accommodation was more than the tuition! Then there was food and spending and books plus of course flights back to the USA.

In the end she preferred to stay here because she didn't want to be more than 2 or 3 hours away and a lot of her friends will be at nearby colleges.
Old May 26th 2007, 11:03 am
medusas peligrosas

mozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond repute

Me = Billy No Mates
Old May 26th 2007, 11:41 am
Who?

The kid wants to study engineering with a particular focus. Over here, he'd have to go to a private university. Tuition? 40k per year and up. It is crazy.

I found the accomodation pretty reasonable - 300 to 400 pounds a month in London. If he gets into unie in Manchester which is his preferred one of choice, he can stay with a close friend of mine who lives in a village a small ways away.

Plus, I think most undergrad degrees here are not worth the paper they're written on, not even from the top places. I just got talking to someone I know this week, her daughter graduated magna cum laude from a top private university and went over to the Uk to do her Masters. She was in tears every day for months telling her mother she wanted to drop out as it was so very hard. Sounds about right.

Also I read Dr Thomas Sewell's (a Fellow at a prominent think tank), who agrees. That even Ivy League undergrad degrees in the US are sub-standard compared to most developed countries.
Mine is studying art, which is probably very similar the world over. Lets face it you don't need a top notch degree to float a few sheep in formaldehyde.

But those accommodation fees seem huge!!! probably because of the exchange rate.
Old May 26th 2007, 11:51 am
Account Closed

Mine is studying art, which is probably very similar the world over. Lets face it you don't need a top notch degree to float a few sheep in formaldehyde.

But those accommodation fees seem huge!!! probably because of the exchange rate.
Yeah. We evaluated different colleges and decided that for what he wants to study, which face it, competition from the east is so tight, it would be better to get it over there.

I'm lucky. My best friend of 20 years from Africa arrived here a month after we did with her kids, and lives a few miles from me. She and I haven't seen each other that much the past few years as she's been working and going to night school, but it should get better now that she's done.

I have a very close Jamaican friend whose family are Scottish a few generations back and she's married to a septic.

Have a couple of septics I can drop in and they drop in without calling. Have a fairly large number who are pretty cool.

However, I cannot talk politics or other controversial subjects with them, excepting for the two young septics who only listen to NPR and BBC news
Old May 26th 2007, 1:18 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

The kid wants to study engineering with a particular focus. Over here, he'd have to go to a private university. Tuition? 40k per year and up. It is crazy..................Plus, I think most undergrad degrees here are not worth the paper they're written on, not even from the top places. I just got talking to someone I know this week, her daughter graduated magna cum laude from a top private university and went over to the Uk to do her Masters. She was in tears every day for months telling her mother she wanted to drop out as it was so very hard. Sounds about right.............Also I read Dr Thomas Sewell's (a Fellow at a prominent think tank), who agrees. That even Ivy League undergrad degrees in the US are sub-standard compared to most developed countries.
For gawds sake keep him away from Engineering.......he wont ever be right again........

Actually, wether its Virginia Tech, MIT, RPI or wherever.......everyday Engineers simply don't use half of their training after a while. It all comes down to experience, exposure and intuition.........very rarely will you do proper calculations........the stuff College is made of.

My own recipe has allways been......cheap degree plus the best employers you can swindle out of a job. You see, I have a degree which is looked down on by most "proper Engineers" here in the US.......but I'd compare resumes anyday now because of the jobs I've pulled........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.