Wikiposts

Friends

Old May 27th 2007, 11:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Friends

Originally Posted by Elvira
]

And I should mention that this was for a TRIPLE room.
oh year, my £92 a week room would have been reduced by £20 if I had a shared room, but sod that, had to have a shared room in the first year, no chance in the other years
Old May 27th 2007, 11:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop

So how much more is the $18k now adjusted to? It sounds like it still may be cheaper in the UK........ Allthough, aren't they still not geared for the P/T adult student.......?
They are, my course had a bloke that was doing it part time, over 6 years, because he had a little kid...and there were a few people between 30-55 years old doing my course...life experiences was also taken in to account to make up grades, so they could also save money by missing out the first year, which is basically a year to level basic knowledge.
Old May 27th 2007, 11:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop

Scholarships seemed to kick in mostly after 2 years after a JC and then the big ones were for the private schools and even so, proportionally not much more than what you might get for a State school. Also the number of scholarships wasn't very high, so unless you were a 4.0 student (which I was after 2yrs ) you didn't have a lot of chances there anyway.
problem is, at state schools, scholarships take away from what federal loans you can take out, but they don't against going to a private school, so if you are entitled to grants etc, it can be similar in cost going private than going state.
Old May 27th 2007, 11:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Elvira
I wonder to what extent UK universities hassle parents for donations?

Seriously: not a month goes by when we do not receive a letter - or a PHONE CALL!!! - asking us to contribute to the "Parents' Fund" of one or the other of our sons colleges.

We currently have THREE sons at college, paying out tens of thousands a year for fees, books, dorms, living expenses etc etc. Do they REALLY expect us to make donations on top of that? :curse:

I keep telling them this when they phone, and ask them - very politely!! - to please stop calling and sending us mailings. But will they listen? Will they heck...
Aye, I've noticed that, we're paying off student loans to the missus college, and will be till we die, we have donated to the college funds, and they get the points program off our credit card, yet they still always ask for more money.

As for my uni in the UK, I get an annual magazine and letter saying what's know, what's happening anything exceptional etc, and a calendar of events. At the back is a form for the various scholarship programs they offer with an envelope to donate if you want, but I've never been asked specifically.
Old May 27th 2007, 11:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Tracym
...As far as I know however, anyone can get school loans...
not the case, depends on where the school is, they also don't cover masters at certain locations, nor certain online based courses, nor any foreign colleges.
Old May 27th 2007, 11:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Plus, I think most undergrad degrees here are not worth the paper they're written on, not even from the top places. I just got talking to someone I know this week, her daughter graduated magna cum laude from a top private university and went over to the Uk to do her Masters. She was in tears every day for months telling her mother she wanted to drop out as it was so very hard. Sounds about right.
The missus had that issue, when she went to York to do her masters, found it a waste of money as it was so easy, it was covering what she had done in the undergrad...but now at Kings, finding it a lot tougher, mostly because of the way it's taught, your expected to then research what you were told and formulate your own answers with backed up arguments, whilst in the US it was a case of regurgitating what you were told in the lectures.
Old May 27th 2007, 11:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

multipost combo...what a roll...hmmm...
Old May 27th 2007, 11:46 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
multipost combo...what a roll...hmmm...

Old May 27th 2007, 1:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Scotland is different, in that it's 3 years for a degree, fourth year to get it with honours, or cum laude as you like to call it.
There are 4 yr masters as well...I someone at St Andrews whose just graduated.
Old May 27th 2007, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all
Talking Re: Friends

Originally Posted by haggerwood
I always get that crap too. People say "Ohhhh my Great Grandmother was from wigglebottom hill in worcestershire is that near where you live" and I say
"No I've never heard of tha bloody place but I am from near London" and they say "London ? .... hmmm is that in Italy ?" Seriously I swear that is what someone said to me recently.
Oh I love that My ancestors were from ichybottom do you know that place?If its not that they are always one part Indian yes right ,and Im royalty.
I had an American friend call me and ask me "What state is the Bahamas in?"
Ok what next........She is a friend but wont drink tea,Only has coffee in the morning always telling what ails her.She has since moved but calls every day
usually when I am in the shower..................Of course her ancestors are British immigrants so she says.........................
Old May 27th 2007, 2:39 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hove
Oh I love that My ancestors were from ichybottom do you know that place?If its not that they are always one part Indian yes right ,and Im royalty.
I had an American friend call me and ask me "What state is the Bahamas in?"
Ok what next........She is a friend but wont drink tea,Only has coffee in the morning always telling what ails her.She has since moved but calls every day
usually when I am in the shower..................Of course her ancestors are British immigrants so she says.........................
I'm confused and I've read the post twice.
Old May 27th 2007, 2:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I'm confused and I've read the post twice.
Something to do with Itchycoo Park
Old May 27th 2007, 2:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Something to do with Itchycoo Park
I used to love that song way back when.
Old May 27th 2007, 2:52 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I used to love that song way back when.
Re-live the memory
Attached Files
Old May 27th 2007, 4:04 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Just that the culture here seems to be different than the UK as regards class division, and I'm wondering what is different between the countries to cause this. How people in general might have different perceptions.
In the US, if you don't have a four-year degree, you're locked out of certain jobs and your social status suffers. That's an educational class division that is NOT present in Europe, at least not yet.

In the US, your "class" is determined by how much money you make. Secondary to that is your educational attainment.

In Europe it has more to do with which family you were born into, though that is changing with the times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.