Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Difficult to make friends in America?

Difficult to make friends in America?

Old Nov 19th 2012, 5:51 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all
Default Re: Difficult to make friends in America?

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
This is purely anecdotal but in my part of Massachusetts I have been surprised by the amount of people - friends, family - even random people I have met on the street or at stores - who have made some kind of trip to Europe from the US despite the cost and the lack of holiday - you would expect that from Cambridge MA but this is coming from a basically blue collar city with a lot of poverty. Being on the East Coast might have something to do with it as it's an easier hop.

Lot of people have taken some kind of packaged tour over to France, Italy, Ireland or the UK - few ended up in Germany as part of the military. Then there are second generation immigrants who go back to see relatives. Even the woman down the street I go to for a haircut went to Newcastle back in the 80s (she married a Geordie).
Yep, I'm sure geography plays a big part.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 5:58 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
.....It's a huge diverse country with so much to see and do .....When that is on your doorstep why should you want to travel abroad
It is just not the same, even with the [limited] diversity, it is still within the same parent culture. Whatever the reason Americans may travel less, those that do not travel still miss out on the experience of being in a different culture, and all that that can teach us.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:00 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

I think if I lived in Arizona, i wouldn't give a rats-arse about the rest of the world. Too far...
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:03 pm
Banned

A former NYer living in London always jokes that the Brits eat like war-time rationing is still in existence!
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
It is just not the same, even with the [limited] diversity, it is still within the same parent culture. Whatever the reason Americans may travel less, those that do not travel still miss out on the experience of being in a different culture, and all that that can teach us.
Ive been in every state east of the Mississippi & a few west of it- & in my experience outside the obvious places like NYC, Chicago, the Keys, New Orleans etc ( never been the Grand Canyon or California/ PNW - yet) most places in America are pretty much the same as every other place in America

You can travel nearly a thousand miles from NYC to Chicago and outside the big cities it all looks the same
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
A former NYer living in London always jokes that the Brits eat like war-time rationing is still in existence!
Oh my. The attitude to food drives my wife absolutely mad here !!!! The WASTE ! The size of some portions ! Although we've found California to be much better than other states we've visited.

I suppose even though we are too young to remember it, there is still a post-war attitude in much of Europe - I certainly remember being told by my grandparents to "eat everything on your plate and take only what you need." That went right through school, and now I do the same to my son.

To be fair, Son did a 5th grade Science Camp where they had "home-style" meals - the dishes were put in the middle of the table and children encouraged to help themselves. If they took too much or did not finish what was on their plate, they had team points deducted.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
I suppose even though we are too young to remember it, there is still a post-war attitude in much of Europe - I certainly remember being told by my grandparents to "eat everything on your plate and take only what you need." That went right through school, and now I do the same to my son.
Absolutely - my parents grew up during WW2 and I was brought up to regard food waste as a dreadful thing, and wasting meat especially was an absolute sin. I remember going to a museum with my mum where it had a mock up of your weekly rations - I thought it was a typical cooked breakfast, and remember being shocked when mum explained that was what you had for a week.

It was old-fashioned for a while, but I think that attitude is going to gradually come back thanks to rising food costs, environmental concerns and inequality of access to food in general. And there has been plenty of research that showed that the British diet of the 40s and 50s was far healthier than it is today, with restricted red meats and sweets, but far more veggies to fill you up.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:37 pm
Banned

I've noticed portions in England on the increase (loads of chips on the side) and an increase in obesity in the UK.

I went straight from Japan to NY and was gob-smacked by the sizes of the sandwiches. The local Fairways was like an Aladdin's Cave- so many varieties of cheeses.

I'm on a diet at the moment due overeating all the delicious foods in the UK and the US!
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:44 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
The local Fairways was like an Aladdin's Cave- so many varieties of cheeses.
I suppose the brie is harder to get out with a wedge than the cheddar.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fakey
You can travel nearly a thousand miles from NYC to Chicago and outside the big cities it all looks the same
How do you figure out that one then?

E.G - This is Vermont

This is New Mexico

This is illinois

This is New York State

I mean yeah - the country probably looks the same if all you do in different areas of the country is go to friggin Walmart. If not - very different.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Nov 19th 2012 at 7:51 pm. Reason: stuck some massive picture in there by accident
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:55 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

E.G - This is Vermont

This is New Mexico

This is illinois

This is New York State

I mean yeah - the country probably looks the same if all you do in different areas of the country is go to friggin Walmart. If not - very different.
That's a hell of a route from NYC to Chicago...!
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

E.G - This is Vermont

http://www.newenglandmagazine.com/wp...er-Vermont.jpg

This is New Mexico

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...-mountains.jpg

This is illinois

http://www.isgs.illinois.edu/researc...l_location.JPG

This is New York State

http://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.c...son-valley.jpg

WOW Amazing photos!!!
Old Nov 19th 2012, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Difficult to make friends in America?

How do you figure out that

http://www.isgs.illinois.edu/researc...l_location.JPG

This is New York State

different.
yeah but those are all pictures of tourist attractions- this is obviously by definition selective- & yes, there are many stunningly beautiful places in the US - dont get me wrong - Im a fan - but you head west from NYC on 80, once youre out of suburban NJ it all starts looking very much the same, pass the Poconos & the rest of PA, Ohio & Indiana- its all very much the same for hundreds of miles

Not looking to insult everybody here, its just the way it is- you want to recomend some places Im open to suggestion dude
Old Nov 19th 2012, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Btw - who goes from NYC to Chicago via Vermont & New Mexico ffs ?
Old Nov 19th 2012, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
WOW Amazing photos!!!
Yeah cuz, you know, like amazing photos are really hard to find on the i ternet eh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.