Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Difficult to make friends in America?

Wikiposts

Difficult to make friends in America?

Old Nov 18th 2012, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all
Default Re: Difficult to make friends in America?

Originally Posted by JRG67
You've missed the point.

You are being extremely HYPOCRITICAL.

And wtf does this have to do with the original topic???
So, you've called me a hypocrite but actually contributed nothing of substance to the line of questioning... still no thoughts on a plan for the 6 million Jews living in Israel and where they're supposed to go if they're not allowed a bit of land there? No, not all the land. Just some of it and the ability to feel safe in it.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 11:01 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
I said that Hamas the government running Palestine put a different value on human life which clearly they do with the use of human shields, the killing of opposition supporters in Gaza etc. - hence my referencing it as a barrier to negotiations.

"For the Palestinian people, death has become an industry, at which women excel, and so do all the people living on this land. The elderly excel at this, and so do the mujahideen and the children. This is why they have formed human shields of the women, the children, the elderly, and the mujahideen, in order to challenge the Zionist bombing machine. It is as if they were saying to the Zionist enemy: 'We desire death like you desire life.'" Fathi Hamad, political leader of Hamas.

Thats nice... I think a lot of this thread was complaining about Americans getting overly aggressive and unpleasant about other peoples opinions and how it's a problem. You've so far said I make racist comments, my opinions are rot, that I need help, am crazy, that i'm an example of a certain "type" of American (despite being English), hypocritical, looking for any excuse for war, like an evil character from some movie and I can't be bothered to read any further back...

Sure.
THINK about who is writing the stuff about human shields and what that person's motf might have been.

If you are indeed English wtf what right do you have to say Americans should fight the Israeli's battles with American lives and American tax dollars????
Old Nov 18th 2012, 11:06 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Americans have no need to do battle in the Middle East. American soldiers are sent to fight stupid wars in which only arms dealers, Wall street financiers profit.

I hate to think of the number of American soldiers who have been used as political pawns for greedy oil interests.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

JRG67 - as you asked, the conversation headed this way following your insinuation that only Jewish people supported Israel.

I'm not sure how a direct quote of someone from Hamas can be influenced by the motive of the person typing it out - let me know if you want the youtube clip of him saying it live.

If you are indeed English wtf what right do you have to say Americans should fight the Israeli's battles with American lives and American tax dollars????
We are not discussing a possible war Iran if that's where you're heading. We are talking about the right of Israel to fight for their existence. So this comment about American lives and dollars is not relevant.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

**** me- 42 pages of this shit- no wonder you lot need to go on a message board asking for advice on how to make friends
Old Nov 18th 2012, 11:55 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Can you start a new thread on Israel / Palestine at least? It bears no relevance to "making friends in America". Heck, if you do that, I'll gladly give you my own thoughts and opinions on the matter.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

I think we should just agree to disagree at this point.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 1:12 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
You're right. I can't argue with any of that. This is definitely one of the most transient parts of the US.

A bit of background, I moved back here from MA in June after my marriage failed. I couldn't find work in MA and the temp job I has was about as awful as it could be. My previous employer in Miami offered me my old job back, so I came back to FL, but it was never meant to be anything long-term. In reality, I probably should have tried harder up there or tried other New England states where employers may not have beenn so picky regarding college degrees (let's face it, MA is the cornerstone of education). I should have applied for stuff in Maine or NH.

In reality, I've lived in two unsuitable parts of the US - MA was just too snobby for me, Boston was a nice city and all, but it seemed like a city for the rich and educated. I never felt good enough.

Miami is a different monster in general. You cannot really compare it to anywhere else in the US or even Florida. It is a very superficial place where image does seem to be everything. I could never make friends here, partly because I do not get along with the macho / party stereotype. It definitely is not a place for you if you are shy, easily led or introverted. I can understand how you nephew would like it here. It suits young peolle who come to party. The difference here is that people continue to do it into their 30's and 40's, but I grew out of that stuff when I turned 25 or so.

That aside, Miami is a funky place and I certainly don't hate it. It's an interesting city and unique in the US. It is a truly Caribbean metropolis and a place where despite the blatant in your face superficiality and materialism, people are generally straight up and don't have the "must follow the great American plan and do X by Y age" thing going on. The skyline is incredible, it is probably only dwarfed by NYC when it comes to restaurants, as is the nightlife (if that's your thing). If you want to experience Latin culture without leaving the US, tnis is the place to do it.

But (and this is a huge "but") this isn't a place I see myself living in for long. I can't make friends here for the life of me. Many of the male natives are extremely macho and are extroverted to the point of arrogance. There are too many snakes, people who will take advantage of any perceived weakness. As aesthetically gorgeous as many of the women here are, I would NEVER date here. To live here long term, you either have to be relatively wealthy and able to buy friends and partners, or you basically have to be born & raised here or from a Latin American country.

Don't get me wrong, tnis is an interesting city and would be a great place to come in December when everywhere else is freezing, but it takes a certain type of individual to live here and yours truly isn't it.

Florida in general is not for me. Flat, way too not and humid, overdeveloped and with a crooked **** for a governor. I never was a beach person anyway. My legs were not meant for shorts.

I would love to try the PNW, or give a different New England state a try.
ETU

Believe it or not your experience in south florida does mirror those of many people that have given it a go. And like you have seen for yourselve, it really is a nice fun place. But to be honest there seems to be a constant theme from people I have known living in central and south florida. The people that you get to know and like in florida are suddenly moving away 6 to 24 months later. So its really tough to make friends in a meaningfull way.Meeting women is not a problem any where in south florida but there again the problem can be the kind of women in question. Everyone is not neccessarily looking for the party girl or Miss good bar. As you probably know, dating is a timing thing.

Be in the right place at the right time and you could meet the woman of your dreams. To be honest, minus a few exceptions I didn't really meet that kind of women in Miamibeach.Of course they are there but meeting a traditional woman with outstanding values in a city known for having the MTV crowd would be like finding a needle in the haystack. I've been to a few outtings in Miami and have seen the drunken party types there. As you've said, Miami is different from just about every city in the States.

America is a very migratory nation as a whole but there are places where the population has that community feel. The Pacific north West I think would be a great fit for you. Very progressive in it's politics. Seattle has been rated as the most literate city/area in the entire nation. The gun mentality nor the over zelous religious wingnut groups are not as prominant in that part of the country.That can be a big plus. I don't think you would see that macho attitude as much in a place known for attracting book smart people. Cost of living can be a little more from what I hear, and the other down side might be the travel distance to the UK. Other than that, the pnw could be a great solution.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 1:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
JRG67 - as you asked, the conversation headed this way following your insinuation that only Jewish people supported Israel.

I'm not sure how a direct quote of someone from Hamas can be influenced by the motive of the person typing it out - let me know if you want the youtube clip of him saying it live.

We are not discussing a possible war Iran if that's where you're heading. We are talking about the right of Israel to fight for their existence. So this comment about American lives and dollars is not relevant.
I never insinuated anything of the sort. Nor I am I talking about war in Iran.
I am neither interested in the Tutu tribe of Africa nor the the war over the appetizer hummous. Peace bro.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 1:22 pm
Banned

Ethelred

I don't know New England well, but from what I have seen of it, I think you would get on better there. If not, the Shetland Isles might be a good place to visit.
Tom Wolfe has written a new book based on the Cuban migrants in Miami. Is it anything like that where you live?
What are you doing for Thanksgiving?
Old Nov 18th 2012, 1:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by fakey
**** me- 42 pages of this shit- no wonder you lot need to go on a message board asking for advice on how to make friends
Ha ha

Actually I was having fun until the topic of Israel came up.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
I never insinuated anything of the sort. Nor I am I talking about war in Iran.
I am neither interested in the Tutu tribe of Africa nor the the war over the appetizer hummous. Peace bro.
Hummous
Old Nov 18th 2012, 1:48 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
Can you start a new thread on Israel / Palestine at least? It bears no relevance to "making friends in America". Heck, if you do that, I'll gladly give you my own thoughts and opinions on the matter.
+1
Old Nov 18th 2012, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed that the Americans that I really get along with are the ones who have traveled and lived outside of the USA. They tend to be more tolerate to different points of view or any questionable responses to how this country is run etc.

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I have read on this site how some British have not always had an easy time connecting with Americans in America.Some Brits have said they just feel more comfortable with the British sense of humor or the shared history that is British. I'm curious to know if many of you have experienced not fitting in to the American culture? And do you think this has more to do with being raised in a particular culture and feeling like a fish out of water, and nothing to do with the new place or people?
Old Nov 18th 2012, 4:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by veryfunny
I have noticed that the Americans that I really get along with are the ones who have traveled and lived outside of the USA. They tend to be more tolerate to different points of view or any questionable responses to how this country is run etc.
That is a very important observation. There is a certain amount of built-in advantage you gain from living in a hemisphere where several countries share boarders together and especially if those countries have different cultures and traditions. Usually in those type of societies the people in those nations are more open to the thinking of their neighbors and can gain a knowledge base from that close proximity. Another factor is how dominant a particular country is and the influence it has on the boardering countries. One of the biggest reasons why America is more inward looking than outward looking is because we exert far more influence on our neighbors(movies,music,wealth,& military) than the other way around. And those neighbors tend to follow the lead of America.When most people are telling you how great you are, and they go so far as to model their system of government and society after yours, that too can make you listen and think in a singular fashion. Of course this is not true of all Americans.Most Americans travel and quite a few would love to holiday outside north america. But the travel distance, cost and some of the anti-Americanism is an impediment. The Americans that do travel to South America, Asia or Europe do gain knowledge that is helpful in bridging divides. I can not highlight enough the effects Anti-Americanism have on why more americans don't visit Europe. Never will forget being told how Brits might not be that happy to see Americans in the UK.And that was from a few Americans that had a bad experience while in Europe. That can scare people off and in turn limit personal knowledge about other cultures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.