Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Difficult to make friends in America?

Difficult to make friends in America?

Old Nov 17th 2012, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all
Default Re: Difficult to make friends in America?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I don't agree with that at all, putting aside the comments on the involvement of the US, their description of the conflict is a perfect example of someone uneducated in whats actually going on...

I agree with this - he sums it up beautifully in the first line:

fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/11/14/jonathan-kay-in-gaza-hamas-military-leader-ahmed-jabari-got-what-he-deserved

The total size of all 22 Arab League countries is 6,145,389 square miles (Iran, Turkey, Pakistan and Afghanistan not included) so yes I feel like maybe the Jews deserve a tiny strip of land where they don't feel constantly threatened, call me crazy. Where leaders of nearby countries (e.g. Iran) don't constantly voice their desire to exterminate all Jews - where the people that supposedly want to "negotiate" with them ACTUALLY want to negotiate. I have to give Palestine credit where it's due though, they're running the greatest propaganda campaign in quite some time...
Old Nov 17th 2012, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dlake02
I think the tone that this thread has taken proves my point - it is very difficult to make friends with Americans because rather than try and accept that their view is different or (shock-horror) maybe even WRONG, they start from a position of "This is MY view and it is right."

I see insecurity and bravado at every turn....
Interesting. I enjoy the national pride... I wish the English weren't so damn embarrassed about it all the time...

What has the tone of this thread showed you about Americans - to my knowledge you guys frightened off the one American some time ago.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JRG67
Black people such as Chris Rock call other blacks "Niggers". Are you going to call up C Rock and tell him off for not educating the whiteys about black oppression??
Are you telling me everyone taking part in the mock the Jews discussion was Jewish?? Or just two of you who've claimed it so far...
If someone who wasn't black said that word about someone who was - tell me what you think would happen?

...and again, I have experienced very similar from non-Jews a lot in England. Yes it's said in jest but is there often still a clear air of disdain, as I said before.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 4:45 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
I don't agree with that at all, putting aside the comments on the involvement of the US, their description of the conflict is a perfect example of someone uneducated in whats actually going on...
I think most of us here are all too happy to be educated, just a quick precis of 'what is actually going on' will be appreciated by all.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I think most of us here are all too happy to be educated, just a quick precis of 'what is actually going on' will be appreciated by all.
Ok I'd like you ask a question first...

Do you disagree with Israel's right to defend itself from agressors? Or do you not think it has anything it needs to defend itself from? Or do you think it does but don't like how they're going about it?
Old Nov 17th 2012, 6:49 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

The total size of all 22 Arab League countries is 6,145,389 square miles (Iran, Turkey, Pakistan and Afghanistan not included) so yes I feel like maybe the Jews deserve a tiny strip of land where they don't feel constantly threatened, call me crazy. Where leaders of nearby countries (e.g. Iran) don't constantly voice their desire to exterminate all Jews - where the people that supposedly want to "negotiate" with them ACTUALLY want to negotiate. I have to give Palestine credit where it's due though, they're running the greatest propaganda campaign in quite some time...
But isn't it the case that, in the late 1940's, the zionist jews boated into palestine and started stealing other people's land? Kicking the locals back into the crappy bits and creating a theocracy?

I mean, its not a lot different than the Europeans did in North America with native Americans or with Aborigines in Australia, just a lot more recent.

I do wonder why the US is so slavish in its support for Israel - not sure if the story of Israel fits with its own history - decent hero-types forging a new country and clearing the savages into reservations, or whether it is just the amazingly strong and well-managed Israeli lobby in the US who manage to close down any criticism of Israel and ant-semitic.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 7:45 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
But isn't it the case that, in the late 1940's, the zionist jews boated into palestine and started stealing other people's land? Kicking the locals back into the crappy bits and creating a theocracy?

I mean, its not a lot different than the Europeans did in North America with native Americans or with Aborigines in Australia, just a lot more recent.

I do wonder why the US is so slavish in its support for Israel - not sure if the story of Israel fits with its own history - decent hero-types forging a new country and clearing the savages into reservations, or whether it is just the amazingly strong and well-managed Israeli lobby in the US who manage to close down any criticism of Israel and ant-semitic.
Birthplace of Christ may have something to do with it? The Holy land etc.. Not a Christian nor Jew myself yet I still sympathize with their situation.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 10:51 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I have read on this site how some British have not always had an easy time connecting with Americans in America.Some Brits have said they just feel more comfortable with the British sense of humor or the shared history that is British. I'm curious to know if many of you have experienced not fitting in to the American culture? And do you think this has more to do with being raised in a particular culture and feeling like a fish out of water, and nothing to do with the new place or people?

It's reckoned there are about 1.3 million British expats living in the USA and Canada with maybe a quarter of them of pension age.
The figure generally remains fairly constant so statistically it would appear that a large number of Brits appear happy to be living and working in the
US, otherwise they would return home.
It's inevtiable that moving to a foreign country with a different language and culture,such as France, is going to prove challenging.
At least in the States the language is the same and Brits are merely one nationality among many who have chose to move there.
I suppose what I'm trying to say is that the States is no worse than anywhere else for attempting to make friends and the competitive,materialistic nature of its society is not in itself a reason to be lonely - that,after all, is why many Brits move there.
But to suggest Americans are unfriendly as a nation, as some posters on here have, is frankly nuts.
And I think says more about the poster than the post itself.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 1:31 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
It's reckoned there are about 1.3 million British expats living in the USA and Canada with maybe a quarter of them of pension age.
The figure generally remains fairly constant so statistically it would appear that a large number of Brits appear happy to be living and working in the
US, otherwise they would return home.
It's inevtiable that moving to a foreign country with a different language and culture,such as France, is going to prove challenging.
At least in the States the language is the same and Brits are merely one nationality among many who have chose to move there.
I suppose what I'm trying to say is that the States is no worse than anywhere else for attempting to make friends and the competitive,materialistic nature of its society is not in itself a reason to be lonely - that,after all, is why many Brits move there.
But to suggest Americans are unfriendly as a nation, as some posters on here have, is frankly nuts.
And I think says more about the poster than the post itself.
Your post came across as being very open and honest and imo there is a substantial amount of credibility to the points you made. Successfully adjusting to a new culture does have a great deal to do with one's circumstances when arriving in a new environment, and how comfortable that person is in stepping outside what their use to. If I go to France and I expect the customer service to be similar to that of America, then I realize while sitting at a resturant that the wait staff is not hoovering over me to check for my every need I'll probably think the service is poor. Because that is the standard in America.When the truth is that in France most resturants allow their customers to take their time and enjoy the dining experience and in no way is good service thought to include the constant asking if you need something else. It's little things like that which people like or dislike and that can make a person critical of their new host nation. As well as sense of humor or the type of topics that are thought to be fit for conversation. And if there are enough of those various differences in any country including America, a person can become cynical and develope a half empty opinion of the glass with water in it. Much of this has nothing to do with how good or bad that country is. Because some of this can be cultural.A buddy of mine once told me that complaining is like a sport for many Brits and he feel that they will do so about everything under the sun. I wonder if there is much truth to his opinion?
I imagine that every social ill in America is also in every other nation in the world. Maybe those problems are just more acceptable when they are attached to a person's birth nation.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 2:09 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

People are generally people everywhere. Even I don't think Americans in general are any more or less friendly than the British or anyone else.

Assimilation is an interesting topic. I think the failure or success of an individual to assimilate into the mainstream culture of their new country depends on the following, rather than glass half empty / glass half full type blanket statements:

1) The wealth of the individual. A bit of money can generally buy you enough shelter from most problems experienced in any country. Being broke or less well off generally exposes you to the toughest and least desirable elements of said country. Being in that situation is generally worse in countries with little or no social safety nets.

2) Self-confidence. Go getter, gregarious and outgoing types are likely to have an easier time adapting.

3) Opinion of the UK. Those who see the UK as a land of social and urban decay stand a better chance of assimilating, unless they are the type who end up hating wherever they live. Those (like me) who came here solely for marriage didn't dislike the UK or living there in the first place.

4) Having a circle of friends and family. I feel that this is very important when trying to adapt to a new place. It allows you to take baby steps, rathe than be thrown in at the deep end.

5) The ability to almost let go of certain things you used to enjoy and took for granted back in the UK, while becoming interested in new hobbies (e.g. American sports). This in turn will open the door to friendships, if this is something you can do.

6) The ability to accept what can seem like wide differences in culture, while not deliberately going against the grain and saying "this is wrong, we do it this way in the UK". Example, I am not exactly pro-full gun ownership, but I respect the fact that this country has a right to bear arms and that firearms are entrenched in American culture from the early days.

7) Being able to go home regularly and keeping regular contact with friends and family back home.

In theory, anyone should be able to adapt anywhere, but it doesn't always work like that. Sometimes we go to a new country with unrealistic expectations based on television or films, sometimes we run away thinking that our problems won't follow us, or sometimes shit just happens and we realise that we'd rather be somewhere familiar during tough times.

In my case, there are some places I know I'd have a good chance of adapting in, others I would most likely fail. I could cut it in Germany or the Netherlands or even France, but not so sure about Australia and obviously, the US, which I could have told you in 2003.

Point is, we're all different.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 2:20 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
Perhaps it's because many Americans forge lifelong friendships and romantic relationships while in college, so those are the day they look back on as the "fun time", so it stands to reason that they would continue to follow their college football team.
College football is just another variation of the sport to follow. Some fans see it as a "purer" alternative to the professional game, but with playing that is competitive enough so as to be worth watching. (The same could also be said of basketball.)

It might also help to note that there are some diehard sports fans who attended the universities that they did in part because they liked the sports team. (Personally, I think that's a ridiculous reason to choose a school, but I didn't make the rules here.) For some, it's a lifelong interest/ affliction, not just nostalgia.

On the whole, I do think that you're reading too much into this. Sports preferences tend to be cultural, and the US has taken a different path by relegating soccer to being mostly a kids game.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 2:34 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
College football is just another variation of the sport to follow. Some fans see it as a "purer" alternative to the professional game, but with playing that is competitive enough so as to be worth watching. (The same could also be said of basketball.)

It might also help to note that there are some diehard sports fans who attended the universities that they did in part because they liked the sports team. (Personally, I think that's a ridiculous reason to choose a school, but I didn't make the rules here.) For some, it's a lifelong interest/ affliction, not just nostalgia.

On the whole, I do think that you're reading too much into this. Sports preferences tend to be cultural, and the US has taken a different path by relegating soccer to being mostly a kids game.
The interesting thing to note is that American sports events rarely require fans to be separated.
The notion that one person hates another team and all its supporters, as evident in the English Premier League, is anathema to them.
They just repsect another fan's right to support their team.
As a sidebar some Americans chums of mine didn't get the concept of cricket and watching some games for five days with the possibility of a draw.
When they came to the UK I took them along to watch a one-day game.
After a day sat in glorious sunshine, with lunch and tea breaks and copious amounts of alcohol one of them turned to me and said " Now I get it. "
Although not the LBW rules unfortunately !
Old Nov 18th 2012, 3:36 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

ETU
I really do understand where you're coming from.And I wish there was a way you could make the adjustment here in the States. I do want to point out that south florida is probably not one of the best places to find a sense of community.It is such a transieant area of the country where many people don't concern themselves with making lasting friendships.And Miami-Fort Larderdale being the party place it is, really doesn't lend it self to making long term friendship.Certainly can be done but those type places feed into relationship building for the person who is an extrovert.I have spent my fair share of time in Miamibeach and after a few months it was pretty obvious that miami was cliquish and more so than just about any other region of the country that I've known. I'm told by a few of my married friends that south florida may not be the best place to live if you are in a commited relationship.It can be very superfiscal there. That is not to say that everyone living there is a representation of what Miami's night life is thought to be.However, I do know people that have moved away from there for the very reasons I explained. I have a nephew attending school at FIU and he loves what Miami has to offer. But most 24 years olds at University probably would. If you are a shy understated type person, then it's understandable why living in a place like south florida could make a person feel like a fish out of water.Have you ever thought about moving to a different region of the country? America is a huge nation with various types of life styles ,climates and interest.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 4:07 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
ETU
I really do understand where you're coming from.And I wish there was a way you could make the adjustment here in the States. I do want to point out that south florida is probably not one of the best places to find a sense of community.It is such a transieant area of the country where many people don't concern themselves with making lasting friendships.And Miami-Fort Larderdale being the party place it is, really doesn't lend it self to making long term friendship.Certainly can be done but those type places feed into relationship building for the person who is an extrovert.I have spent my fair share of time in Miamibeach and after a few months it was pretty obvious that miami was cliquish and more so than just about any other region of the country that I've known. I'm told by a few of my married friends that south florida may not be the best place to live if you are in a commited relationship.It can be very superfiscal there. That is not to say that everyone living there is a representation of what Miami's night life is thought to be.However, I do know people that have moved away from there for the very reasons I explained. I have a nephew attending school at FIU and he loves what Miami has to offer. But most 24 years olds at University probably would. If you are a shy understated type person, then it's understandable why living in a place like south florida could make a person feel like a fish out of water.Have you ever thought about moving to a different region of the country? America is a huge nation with various types of life styles ,climates and interest.
You're right. I can't argue with any of that. This is definitely one of the most transient parts of the US.

A bit of background, I moved back here from MA in June after my marriage failed. I couldn't find work in MA and the temp job I has was about as awful as it could be. My previous employer in Miami offered me my old job back, so I came back to FL, but it was never meant to be anything long-term. In reality, I probably should have tried harder up there or tried other New England states where employers may not have beenn so picky regarding college degrees (let's face it, MA is the cornerstone of education). I should have applied for stuff in Maine or NH.

In reality, I've lived in two unsuitable parts of the US - MA was just too snobby for me, Boston was a nice city and all, but it seemed like a city for the rich and educated. I never felt good enough.

Miami is a different monster in general. You cannot really compare it to anywhere else in the US or even Florida. It is a very superficial place where image does seem to be everything. I could never make friends here, partly because I do not get along with the macho / party stereotype. It definitely is not a place for you if you are shy, easily led or introverted. I can understand how you nephew would like it here. It suits young peolle who come to party. The difference here is that people continue to do it into their 30's and 40's, but I grew out of that stuff when I turned 25 or so.

That aside, Miami is a funky place and I certainly don't hate it. It's an interesting city and unique in the US. It is a truly Caribbean metropolis and a place where despite the blatant in your face superficiality and materialism, people are generally straight up and don't have the "must follow the great American plan and do X by Y age" thing going on. The skyline is incredible, it is probably only dwarfed by NYC when it comes to restaurants, as is the nightlife (if that's your thing). If you want to experience Latin culture without leaving the US, tnis is the place to do it.

But (and this is a huge "but") this isn't a place I see myself living in for long. I can't make friends here for the life of me. Many of the male natives are extremely macho and are extroverted to the point of arrogance. There are too many snakes, people who will take advantage of any perceived weakness. As aesthetically gorgeous as many of the women here are, I would NEVER date here. To live here long term, you either have to be relatively wealthy and able to buy friends and partners, or you basically have to be born & raised here or from a Latin American country.

Don't get me wrong, tnis is an interesting city and would be a great place to come in December when everywhere else is freezing, but it takes a certain type of individual to live here and yours truly isn't it.

Florida in general is not for me. Flat, way too not and humid, overdeveloped and with a crooked **** for a governor. I never was a beach person anyway. My legs were not meant for shorts.

I would love to try the PNW, or give a different New England state a try.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 4:08 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

I agree with this - he sums it up beautifully in the first line:

fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/11/14/jonathan-kay-in-gaza-hamas-military-leader-ahmed-jabari-got-what-he-deserved

HEY BABY!!! ARE you in the army or associated with it in ANY way?? Your militaristic BULLSHIT is driving me NUTS!! You're like an evil character from the movie DOCTOR STRANGELOVE>

I hope you are taking care of your PRECIOUS BODILY FLUIDS.

I don't think you give a SHIT about the JEWS . ANy excuse for a war. Shit, you may even get to ride on the bomb yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.