Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Difficult to make friends in America?

Wikiposts

Difficult to make friends in America?

Old Nov 17th 2012, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Difficult to make friends in America?

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
I'm not young and I can recognise irony... but I have seen endless amounts of anti-semitism in England dressed up as "humour" and I don't agree with it. People would never make "jokes" and portray the same partially disguised disdain with regards to any other race or religion without being called out on it but somehow it's ok when it's about Jewish people. Secondly, I despise how Zionism is regularly used in a negative way because people in England read BBC news and with a complete absence of facts think they know what's going on.
So what is going on?
Old Nov 17th 2012, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
So what is going on?
If you want to discuss the conflict and our respective opinions please feel free to PM me, i'm not going to turn this thread into a political debate.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

Personally - I think Helpme has something of a point
The BBC and England/ Europe generally do not seem to have a balanced view of the Israeli/ Palestinian conflict

It may be more covert in England, but in some parts of Europe anti semitism is openly expressed. In England imho its just more on the down low
Old Nov 17th 2012, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
If you want to discuss the conflict and our respective opinions please feel free to PM me, i'm not going to turn this thread into a political debate.
The original comment was about someone being fed-up being told that Iran should be bombed, it's the way I feel too, America for some reason I don't understand has to kow-tow to Israel.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 5:16 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fakey
Personally - I think Helpme has something of a point
The BBC and England/ Europe generally do not seem to have a balanced view of the Israeli/ Palestinian conflict

It may be more covert in England, but in some parts of Europe anti semitism is openly expressed. In England imho its just more on the down low
Let's not start pretending anti-zionism is anti-jewish.
It is a very dangerous strategy that some in the Zionist community have been trying to foster.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I agree with this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...gaza-us-policy
Old Nov 17th 2012, 5:23 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes it is laughable when the US tries to present itself as an honest broker in talks. But The Palestinian side knows it needs the US at talks because nothing will be done by Israel without that influence.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

helpmeplease123

I am surprised that that was your reaction after reading the more vicious ones on the subject of Jewish indoctrination and scariness/aggressiveness. I am not Jewish and I found them incredibly offensive, i'm surprised that you as a someone Jewish would not be. It's a shame really that your inferiority complex leads you to join in those discussions rather than educate, clearly ignorance pervades many English people - for example the bizarre notion presented here that to support Israel you need to be Jewish. Rather than the far more accurate suggestion - that to support Israel you need to be educated on the topic of the conflict rather than simply read the BBC news website.
I made the comment about the child that had been so indoctrinated by her parents belief systems that she spouted utter rubbish. It would be like you or me refusing to shop in Ikea because of what the Vikings did to East Anglia.

I come from a partly Jewish (NOT ZIONIST) family, with some members that still live in Israel. They have campaigned for a secularisation of Israel as a state, and pointed out how unjust it is to have a state built on religious supremacy such as Israel, Saudi, England. (The latter is a moot point these days given that religious participation in England is less than 6% these days, but it was very relevant when fighting the various Irish wars over the years but it would still be nice to see true disestablishment).

I would and have been equally appalled by christian zealots and bigots telling me their views and indoctrinating their kids in a similar way.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Let's not start pretending anti-zionism is anti-jewish.
It is a very dangerous strategy that some in the Zionist community have been trying to foster.
Yeah but a lot of it IS anti semitism
Old Nov 17th 2012, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dlake02
helpmeplease123

I come from a partly Jewish (NOT ZIONIST) family, with some members that still live in Israel. They have campaigned for a secularisation of Israel as a state, and pointed out how unjust it is to have a state built on religious supremacy such as Israel, Saudi, England. (The latter is a moot point these days given that religious participation in England is less than 6% these days, but it was very relevant when fighting the various Irish wars over the years but it would still be nice to see true and bigots telling me their views and indoctrinating their kids in a similar way.
How is England built on religious supremacy ? Are you mental ?
Old Nov 17th 2012, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

But England is largely the opposite in my experience. For instance the Pledge of Allegiance my children say in school every morning. I think this is an impressive, unifying ritual that seems to embue a sense of pride in many Americans in who they are and how they got there- rightly wrongly or otherwise.
I think this is trite, jingo-istic nonsense. I don't need flags, songs, rhymes, rituals every-day, sometimes twice a day, to know MY allegiances. To me, it comes over as childish.

I think the tone that this thread has taken proves my point - it is very difficult to make friends with Americans because rather than try and accept that their view is different or (shock-horror) maybe even WRONG, they start from a position of "This is MY view and it is right."

I see insecurity and bravado at every turn....
Old Nov 17th 2012, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fakey
How is England built on religious supremacy ? Are you mental ?
As I said, these days it isn't other than on paper.

Google - Disestablishmentarianism

Unlike France or Germany, Church and State are not separate in England. It is an historical legacy, not a real fact these days.

It is, interestingly, one of the reasons Blair gave for not declaring his faith when he was PM. That and the fact that 95% of the populous would have branded him a "religious nutter" (I believe his or Alistair Campbells words).
Old Nov 17th 2012, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

and bigots telling me their views and indoctrinating their kids in a similar way.
I think this is trite, jingo-istic nonsense. I don't need flags, songs, rhymes, rituals every-day, sometimes twice a day, to know MY allegiances. To me, it comes over as childish.

I think the tone that this thread has taken proves my point - it is very difficult to make friends with Americans because rather than try and accept that their view is different or (shock-horror) maybe even WRONG, they start from a position of "This is MY view and it is right."

Well if thats aimed at me - Im English ha ha

& I agree it can seem like that & maybe it is trite- Im not sure - but - my experience in the UK pride in who we are & our history is largely ( or was largely- maybe its changed a bit since Ive been here) something uncomfortable for a lot of the country- in some ways though maybe its testament to English people being comfortable enough in their identity that they dont have to assert a national identity all the time.

I quite like the Pledge of Allegiance personally- & find the love a lot of Americans feel for their country to be quite touching/ pleasant/ whatever
My personal experience was that many English are quite the opposite & spend a lot of time slagging the country off- thats all

'Indoctrination' - is by definition a bad thing
Old Nov 17th 2012, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

my experience in the UK pride in who we are & our history is largely ( or was largely- maybe its changed a bit since Ive been here) something uncomfortable for a lot of the country- in some ways though maybe its testament to English people being comfortable enough in their identity that they dont have to assert a national identity all the time.
That is very true, but I think it comes down to a much deeper sense of belonging; maybe one that comes from a long history.

I liken it to family - you always love them, but you don't necessarily like or agree with them. But that doesn't make you any less part of them.
Not you - the US !!!!

My personal experience was that many English are quite the opposite & spend a lot of time slagging the country off
Nah - not SLAGGING. We're still all very proud - we watch James Bond (blimey - wasn't Skyfall brill ?), Top Gear, Becks (Australia ? please), etc.

If you think it's unique to the English, try winding a Frenchman up by saying "what do you think about France ?" Very proud of France, but you'll get a VERY long and cynical view of all the ails of the country - just make sure you've been to the loo first cos you're going to be there a long time.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 6:08 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Zen I have always enjoyed your comments. A few rebuttals, I do not know anyone who gives more than a passing thought to 9/11, really.The state of civil liberties are not any worse than 60 years ago. Yes many problems need to be dealt with... tax rates, rich poor gap etc.. However the US is reinventing itself once again and the old manufacturing industries will not have nearly the same importance. And not to forget that the US is scheduled to pass Saudi Arabia as the largest producer of oil by 2020 (that is if Obama does not hinder too much). That does not even include the exploding supplies of natural gas being discovered daily. The natural gas is estimated to last up to 200 hundred years. You raised many other points I understand, however if all you are looking for is negatives, negatives are all you will find.
I'm not only looking for negatives at all Beaverstate, and I do say clearly I am a supporter of the US. I stand by everything in my post, although I will let up a bit on manufacturing which could be turned around - but not without further suppressing wages. The minimum wage was a whole dollar per hour less at the end of Reagan than when he came to power. You are quite right to highlight its resources which are great, like the other big countries' resources but rarely get mentioned.

As for the civil liberties comment, it is not only true but serious and needs to be addressed. The PATRIOT Act is a disgrace, then there's Guantanamo, Bush's outsourcing of important security contracts to private companies, the widespread wiretapping, the infiltration of unions and citizens' groups by counter-intel groups, the targetting, harassment and detention of people at airports, including non-US citizens (I know someone who was subjected to this humiliation and had to have the airport phone Scotland Yard to let her travel - a 65 year old lady who has never left her hometown in Devon) via the notorious "passenger list" aka "dissident list", the Military Commissions Act of 2006 which enables the president personally to label anyone as an "enemy combatant" and have him or her imprisoned without trial, the surveillance and targetting of academics, national facial recognition surveillance by police cruisers, and then there's the unspeakable National Defence Authorisation Act which allows whoever is president personally to send state militias from one state into another, breaking the important posse comitatus act.

My criticisms of the US are really more a criticism of the increasingly materialistic culture that developed there during Reagan, and fundamentally I believe in the country as a powerful force for good, but this is changing. While most people don't know how lucky they are to live in an age dominated by America, I feel the benefits are more to be had outside of the US, but within the "Pax Americana" system.

Really I am just looking for reasons why the US character has changed so much since earlier decades. While to most British people Americans have always been seen as more serious, what we are witnessing now is something else. As I say at the start of my post - they seem disillusioned.

Last edited by Zen10; Nov 17th 2012 at 6:14 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.