Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Difficult to make friends in America?

Difficult to make friends in America?

Old Nov 19th 2012, 8:48 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Difficult to make friends in America?

Originally Posted by fakey
**** me- 42 pages of this shit- no wonder you lot need to go on a message board asking for advice on how to make friends

And that, good sir, is the most pertinent point of all 42 pages.
I like to pop into this forum occasionally to see if there's anything of interest or anything I can help a poster with.
And day in day out the usual suspects are moaning about how bad their lives are/no one loves me/my job is crap/Americans are horrible people/I can't make any friends etc etc.
Walk away from the keyboard, because it is not your best friend, and go and interact with life instead.You'll be amazed at the results.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 1:30 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all
Default Re: Difficult to make friends in America?

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
And that, good sir, is the most pertinent point of all 42 pages.
I like to pop into this forum occasionally to see if there's anything of interest or anything I can help a poster with.
And day in day out the usual suspects are moaning about how bad their lives are/no one loves me/my job is crap/Americans are horrible people/I can't make any friends etc etc.
Walk away from the keyboard, because it is not your best friend, and go and interact with life instead.You'll be amazed at the results.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't say that! What will I tell my FB Friends........................................... .................................................. .......
Old Nov 19th 2012, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I would disagree with your statement that "most Americans travel", unless you are referring to domestic travel. Out of my group of friends, I believe only 2 of us have passports: myself and one of my other female friends. Most people I know a)don't have the money for overseas travel (esp if the currency is not in USD favor) and b)don't have the vacation time to travel c)they usually don't go anywhere even when they do take a few days off because of lack of money or d)have no desire to travel overseas at all.

This obviously doesn't apply to every American though. I'm sure many Americans would love to travel more, if they had the vacation time and the money to do so. And just as an FYI, I am one of the native born Americans that hang out on here, so I'm not saying these things from an outsider's perspective.

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
That is a very important observation. There is a certain amount of built-in advantage you gain from living in a hemisphere where several countries share boarders together and especially if those countries have different cultures and traditions. Usually in those type of societies the people in those nations are more open to the thinking of their neighbors and can gain a knowledge base from that close proximity. Another factor is how dominant a particular country is and the influence it has on the boardering countries. One of the biggest reasons why America is more inward looking than outward looking is because we exert far more influence on our neighbors(movies,music,wealth,& military) than the other way around. And those neighbors tend to follow the lead of America.When most people are telling you how great you are, and they go so far as to model their system of government and society after yours, that too can make you listen and think in a singular fashion. Of course this is not true of all Americans.Most Americans travel and quite a few would love to holiday outside north america. But the travel distance, cost and some of the anti-Americanism is an impediment. The Americans that do travel to South America, Asia or Europe do gain knowledge that is helpful in bridging divides. I can not highlight enough the effects Anti-Americanism have on why more americans don't visit Europe. Never will forget being told how Brits might not be that happy to see Americans in the UK.And that was from a few Americans that had a bad experience while in Europe. That can scare people off and in turn limit personal knowledge about other cultures.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 2:36 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I would disagree with your statement that "most Americans travel", unless you are referring to domestic travel. Out of my group of friends, I believe only 2 of us have passports: myself and one of my other female friends. Most people I know a)don't have the money for overseas travel (esp if the currency is not in USD favor) and b)don't have the vacation time to travel c)they usually don't go anywhere even when they do take a few days off because of lack of money or d)have no desire to travel overseas at all.

This obviously doesn't apply to every American though. I'm sure many Americans would love to travel more, if they had the vacation time and the money to do so. And just as an FYI, I am one of the native born Americans that hang out on here, so I'm not saying these things from an outsider's perspective.
As most of my American friends work for themselves, I am not very aware of the lifestyle of the average American worker. I was surprised, when I went for a job interview in London, that I would be allowed 6 weeks paid holiday a year. (The Japanese have 1 week/year). Since when has the average paid vacation time become 2 weeks in the States? Is this a recent development? I wonder why there is such a disparity between the States and Europe?
Old Nov 19th 2012, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
As most of my American friends work for themselves, I am not very aware of the lifestyle of the average American worker. I was surprised, when I went for a job interview in London, that I would be allowed 6 weeks paid holiday a year. (The Japanese have 1 week/year). Since when has the average paid vacation time become 2 weeks in the States? Is this a recent development? I wonder why there is such a disparity between the States and Europe?
I wouldn't say the average vacation time in the US is 2 weeks. I know some folks that don't have any at all, some that only receive 1 week after working for a year, and some that may only get 2 weeks after working for 5 years. In case you didn't know, there is no federal requirement for a company to give employees any vacation time, unlike the UK.

As for the disparity, I really don't know. I haven't spent enough time in Europe to understand how that evolved. As for the US, because you have so little in the way of worker's protection (compared to Europe), I think a lot of people are afraid to take too much vacay time for fear the company will just fire them. Or some people just don't know how to relax and have fun.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Nov 19th 2012 at 3:28 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 3:21 pm
Banned

I wouldn't say the average vacation time in the US is 2 weeks. I know some folks that don't have any at all, some that only receive 1 week after working for a year, and some that may only 2 weeks after working for 5years. In case you didn't know, there is no federal requirement for a company to give employees any vacation time, unlike the UK.

As for the disparity, I really don't know. I haven't spent enough time in Europe to understand how that evolved. As for the US, because you have so little in the way of worker's protection (compared to Europe), I think a lot of people are afraid to take too much vacay time for fear the company will just fire them. Or some people just don't know how to relax and have fun.
Wow! I was clueless about how tough things were in the States..
Old Nov 19th 2012, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

When they do travel, Americans I have met seem to go on cruises.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

I would disagree with your statement that "most Americans travel", unless you are referring to domestic travel...
In my immediate work circle, this is absolutely the case. In the job I do, I get 20 days paid personal holiday and another 5 paid but company defined days off (that includes the public holidays). As far as I'm concerned, after 25 years of work, that is very low - I would expect in Europe around 30 paid days and then the public holidays. It is the US that is out-of-step with the rest of the developed world - that is a very well known fact.

So, we are lucky and we are well paid - affordability is not an issue. Even so, the majority of my US-based colleagues balk at the thought of travelling anywhere outside the US for work or pleasure. As I work in a 40/60% US/EU team, it isn't an issue, but it is far more usual to see an EU-based employee travelling to the US than it is to see a US-based employee travelling anywhere.

Yes, for many it may be price of flights, but I think it is far more to do with attitude.

Being frank, this lack-of-world perspective is a huge problem at work, and is actually part of the reason that I am here on assignment. The company is enlightened enough to believe that it needs to rotate people between geographies if the products we build are going to have global appeal.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
....Most Americans travel and quite a few would love to holiday outside north america. But the travel distance, cost and some of the anti-Americanism is an impediment...
The biggest impediment is not being given enough holiday allowance.

Why bother travel to another country for a few days and blow your years allowance of PTO when you've got the public holidays, sick days and the odd day waiting around for the utility person kind of thing.

It's much easier to see value in travel when the expensive flight can be made worth it by a 2 week stay, knowing you've got another couple of weeks off at Christmas and then over Easter if you wanted for a short break away to the countryside or to lounge about.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
When they do travel, Americans I have met seem to go on cruises.
Yes, and this again seems to be the "Birds of a Feather" problem. One of the things we LOVE about going away is that the food will be unusual, the language different, the customs different. Even driving on the "wrong side of the road" is fun ! Yes, we ARE that sad.

For Americans, they seem to want to go to somewhere where everything is the same. And usually, they seek it out so that their experience of the foreign place is essentially America Abroad.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
For Americans, they seem to want to go to somewhere where everything is the same. And usually, they seek it out so that their experience of the foreign place is essentially America Abroad.
So that would be cruises over here....but could also be said for many Brits too, just look at the holiday destinations in Cyprus, Greece and Spain...

At least not everyone is like that
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
So that would be cruises over here....but could also be said for many Brits too, just look at the holiday destinations in Cyprus, Greece and Spain...

Sort of, but there seems to me something particularly isolated about visiting Europe but doing so from a cruise ship.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:28 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Yes, and this again seems to be the "Birds of a Feather" problem. One of the things we LOVE about going away is that the food will be unusual, the language different, the customs different. Even driving on the "wrong side of the road" is fun ! Yes, we ARE that sad.

The downside of your argument, of course, is that a large number of Brits and Europeans enjoy cruising in Europe as well as out of the US.
I think the appeal of cruising for Americans is that as few of them have the sort of paid holidays that are commonplace in the UK they have a short amount of time and don't want to waste any of it travelling unnecessarily.
And actually this thing about food on cruises being typically American doesn't hold true either - the only cruise I have been on out of America had a huge variety of food from all manner of world regions.
Far from being bland you could eat considerably better on board than in many countries I have visited where the so-called local food has really been three or four different ways of doing stuff with rice - and all the usual Western fast food options.
Have you actually been on an American cruise ship ? I was hugely impressed with the one I went on.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob

Oh yes - Brits Abroad is a horrible thing to behold...

But - that tends to be one sector of the travelling public. That is the mass tourism market. The last stats that I read was that at least two-thirds of the British public take one or more foreign holidays per year - not all will be Benidorm.

I can't remember what the figures are, but I was stunned by how few Americans actually hold a passport.

Even just the knowledge that there is a world outside helps acceptance, IMHO.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:34 pm
Banned

In a way, America and Japan are very similar now. Most Japanese don't have a passport, and it costs a fortune to go anywhere other than Saipan or Guam (Hawaii for Xmas).
As everyone is so tired from working, they tend to go on group tours and eat Japanese food all the time. Westerners seem aggressive and threatening so they stick to themselves.

There are of course exceptions.

With the British Empire, I think more people in Britain were exposed to different culture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.