Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anything good about living in the USA??

Anything good about living in the USA??

Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Anything good about living in the USA??

Houston is not named the 'armpit of hell' for nothing

Strangely enough, hubby who has had to employ casual temp staff all over the country (mega conferences twice a month in different cities), found that the Houston staff were the most efficient he'd had.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:40 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
. Every time I landed at Heathrow I was so pleased and fortunate I was born a Brit and proud to be a Brit... .

Every time i land at Heathrow i get depressed as hell and cant wait to fly back to US!!!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
and y'all are always welcome to visit me/us in Austin.
Can we bring the trailer, cousins and dawgs?
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Can we bring the trailer, cousins and dawgs?
As long as they come with a keg of 'shine, I don't think she'll mind..lol
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:44 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
Every time i land at Heathrow i get depressed as hell and cant wait to fly back to US!!!
Try Gatwick?!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Houston for 3 years in the mid-90s and loved it - circumstance obviously plays a major part as do weather preferences (I was single when I moved out, on an ex-pat salary and I didn't mind the humidity) but some of the things I liked were:

Great night-life - at the time Houston had the highest number of restaurants per capita of any US city - and all types and price ranges.

Very diverse population - there are thousands of Brits in Houston & over 100 other nationalities - mainly pulled in by the oil industry. If you want to find Brits try the places listed in this post plus (if you must) look for events run by the British Consul or the British American Business Society (if it's still around - usually a particular kind of ex-pat at those)!

Year round ability to get home from work and go and play tennis at Westside until 10.30 at night. Usually only had to go inside during the Summer days.

Visiting the Space Center (ok - you end up taking every visitor there because there are not a lot of tourist attractions but it is a very cool place).

The wooden roller coaster at Six Flags.

The fact that a lot of the residents at my apartment complex worked at Rick's and/or TMC - made pool parties a lot of fun.

Business people are relaxed, polite and friendly - even the (older) oil guys who are worth bazzillions.

Margaritas

The golf courses are great

Flights are reasonably cheap as Continental hub there and there isn't a huge tourist influx

No state income tax.

Of course, there were negatives as well as with everywhere but I think if you work at it you'll be able to find stuff you enjoy and people you like.

PS - Goode Company BBQ - how could I forget that!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:54 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Yeah, we're kinda like the Romans
Only bigger Empire and more slaves.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
Such a subjective issue, major considerations are;

One man's meat .............Suck it and see?
in West Hollywood ?
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Only bigger Empire and more slaves.
Actually the British were at the forefront of freeing slaves. Infact our navy intercepted many slave ships and free'd the occupants therein.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/society...avery_01.shtml
Old Dec 21st 2005, 4:01 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
in West Hollywood ?
It's all making sense now, the car, the shaving ritual, supporting Aston Villa and being in denial about Coldplay. Does Woodsey know?
Old Dec 21st 2005, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Philgr
IPS - Goode Company BBQ - how could I forget that!
lol love Goode's and Otto's..tks for your input, appreciate it...for sure Houston has the most restaurants and the biggest people, although I think we are now voted the 2nd fattest city in the US..
Old Dec 21st 2005, 4:06 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Actually the British were at the forefront of freeing slaves. Infact our navy intercepted many slave ships and free'd the occupants therein.

yeah, by chucking them in the sea..?
Old Dec 21st 2005, 4:06 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas

And that changes what I said how?
Old Dec 21st 2005, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

SGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really nice

Originally Posted by rincewind
Er.....hmmmm.....let me see......er.......oh! Nah.........er..........nope. Can't think of anything.
Where do you live in Augusta?
I also live in Augusta...National Hills area.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
It's all making sense now, the car, the shaving ritual, supporting Aston Villa and being in denial about Coldplay. Does Woodsey know?

the car ? you wanker - its you whos Mr ****ing hair gel quiff boy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.