Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anything good about living in the USA??

Anything good about living in the USA??

Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all
Default Re: Anything good about living in the USA??

You really must look on the bright side you know..

Garages round here have automatic doors so we can drive straight in & avoid the inconvenience of bumping into anyone.
It is hot & humid for months on end and it's really lovely to sit in the air con and admire the sunblasted yard. Sitting outside in the evenings in a fug of citronelle you can swat mozzies and admire the sunblasted yard.
Shopping is a rare treat and has enhanced my knowledge of chemical compounds.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:40 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Thydney
F--k me you've changed your tune

As for me with a largish young family there's not much difference, obviously the sun,theme parks, larger garden etc.
I do get lots of young girlies asking me to talk to them and'Say my name' which is nice just wish they'd keep their eyes open when I say it .

I'm sort of indifferent there are places I would prefer to be but there are worse places to be.
Well we've moved on and moved up since last year. Amazing what a year can do for you.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:56 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Well we've moved on and moved up since last year. Amazing what a year can do for you.
aint that the truth forecast 81f on Xmas day here mate
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:56 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to your first tornado?
Old Dec 21st 2005, 4:03 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Looking forward to your first tornado?
Yup. My 2nd life ambition is to stand before(ish) an F5....probably have to go storm chasing Oklahoma and Kansas for that in the spring though.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 4:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Eskimo
aint that the truth forecast 81f on Xmas day here mate

Poop. I think we are only getting 71f ish. Oh well. Means I can run around the garden like a nutter without getting too hot n sweaty.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 4:08 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. My 2nd life ambition is to stand before(ish) an F5....probably have to go storm chasing Oklahoma and Kansas for that in the spring though.

I wasn't joking when I said we get them here more prevalent than hurricane strikes :scared:
Old Dec 21st 2005, 4:13 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, I'm American, and there are many places in this country in which I simply could not fathom living. Perhaps I'm spoiled as a Californian, but there is no way in Hades that I could live in what I've seen of Texas (with the possible exception of Austin). Much of what I've seen of the Southeast and Midwest is so dreary and dull that even a visit to some of these places can be painful. When Walmart, cable TV and meth are your best options for entertainment, as is the case in many of these places, then you know you have a problem.

So don't presume that Houston is a definitive representative of the US any more than Hull is a prime exemplar of life in the UK. Location within a country matters, not just the country itself.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 4:18 am
Account Closed

I wasn't joking when I said we get them here more prevalent than hurricane strikes :scared:

So i beleive.. But they are mainly just namby pamby little F1's and F2's....pft pathetic
Old Dec 21st 2005, 4:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
FWIW, I'm American, and there are many places in this country in which I simply could not fathom living. Perhaps I'm spoiled as a Californian, but there is no way in Hades that I could live in what I've seen of Texas (with the possible exception of Austin). Much of what I've seen of the Southeast and Midwest is so dreary and dull that even a visit to some of these places can be painful. When Walmart, cable TV and meth are your best options for entertainment, as is the case in many of these places, then you know you have a problem.

So don't presume that Houston is a definitive representative of the US any more than Hull is a prime exemplar of life in the UK. Location within a country matters, not just the country itself.

Whats wrong wih Hull? :scared:

And anyway, you mean theres more USA outside of FLA???I dont believe you.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 4:56 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
lol no I'm not lol I've just not met any friendly locals...Houston can't help being ugly but the people in any country make it surely??
A German woman we met this past weekend said it was horrible and that she had hated living there, but likes living in the Hill Country west of Austin.

She said most of what she hated in the German language, but I think I caught crime, traffic, and completely flat landscape which led to flooding....
Old Dec 21st 2005, 5:14 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Such a subjective issue, major considerations are;

How close you are to your family
Location in the US. Living in L.A, N.Y, FL. Chicago or Alabama will be a completely different experience, issues from weather to lifestyle and culture vary greatlyfrom state to state.
How much money you make? Sorry but it's a reality and will affect your experience in the US.
One man's meat, the grass is always greener etc. etc.
Much like travel, your experience will be subject to so many factors such as background, family, race, outlook, education, expectations, salary etc. etc.
Suck it and see??
Old Dec 21st 2005, 11:19 am
Not dead yet

Whats wrong wih Hull? :scared:

Well you only need to change one letter to get Hell At least Clive Sullivan (Gawd Bless im ) came from there
Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice

OK so cheer me up please...what's good about living in the USA?? For me first is my husband's here coz his paycheck's delivered here...second you can turn right on a red and errr third err I'm thinking oh yeah...errrr I'm still thinking....
God this post is sooooooooo depressing. If you dont like the US go home to rainy england and drown your sorrows in a pub.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:38 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

OK so cheer me up please...what's good about living in the USA?? For me first is my husband's here coz his paycheck's delivered here...second you can turn right on a red and errr third err I'm thinking oh yeah...errrr I'm still thinking....
Er.....hmmmm.....let me see......er.......oh! Nah.........er..........nope. Can't think of anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.