Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anything good about living in the USA??

Anything good about living in the USA??

Old Dec 21st 2005, 4:20 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anything good about living in the USA??

Originally Posted by Eskimo
the car ? you wanker - its you whos Mr ****ing hair gel quiff boy
I'm a stylish metrosexual, you just love dick that's the difference
Old Dec 21st 2005, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
The British are loved world wide?
As a Brit I was warmly welcome into that pub in Falls road Belfast. Loved worldwide!!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 4:52 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
and y'all are always welcome to visit me/us in Austin.
yeah but she wants to meet other British people.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
yeah but she wants to meet other British people.
Lol hey Manc you are right to a degree, usually in foreign countries we eat where the locals eat and go where the locals go but here like I've said I have found the locals not friendly at all, except service staff ie hotel/waiting staff etc and all those expecting a tip....so now I'm trying to meet Brits and hoping that'll do the trick...tks...hey lol maybe it is me...maybe I'm scary :scared: :scared:
Old Dec 21st 2005, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by TruBrit
Lol hey Manc you are right to a degree, usually in foreign countries we eat where the locals eat and go where the locals go but here like I've said I have found the locals not friendly at all, except service staff ie hotel/waiting staff etc and all those expecting a tip....so now I'm trying to meet Brits and hoping that'll do the trick...tks...hey lol maybe it is me...maybe I'm scary :scared: :scared:
It has to be you. Americans are known worldwide as being the most hospitable/friendly race on earth.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice

Thanks for that advice but I'm not giving in yet, sorry my post depressed you. Easy scenario 'go home'...lol yep could do that right now, I have a house waiting for me in lovely rainy Surrey but I have a lovely husband here and if you had read all the thread you would have hopefully understood that I should have changed the thread to read 'Anything good about living in Houston'. You would also have read the various comments about Houston, it is not the idyllic dream place that anyone would retire to and like I said we are here for the pay check. My husband was born close to Austin and we have family in Dallas and although just a few hrs away life is quite different there. The reason for me posting on this BE website was to find out if there are any Brits in Houston as I am not meeting any. I am not trying to be sarcastic about the USA. Hey MrDub I am down but not out and tks again for your constructive advice Merry Christmas to you
okay point taken. Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 5:08 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrDub
okay lets be construcive and have a good owl moan about how bad/hard our lives are

Dontyaknow that Brits aren't truly happy unless they can have a good moan?

And then let's have a nice cuppa tea - that'll set the world to rights!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Ah, the good old "if you don't like it, go home" line. I never get tired of hearing it, even after the 20,000th time. Well done MrDub! Keep up the good work.

Thanks, I do try.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
Dontyaknow that Brits aren't truly happy unless they can have a good moan?

And then let's have a nice cuppa tea - that'll set the world to rights!
lol you said it, a good old cuppa will do the trick...you're learnin' fast
Old Dec 21st 2005, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
And that changes what I said how?
We had less slaves than the romans not more.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
I'm a stylish metrosexual, you just love dick that's the difference
you're a cock thats lived in Santa Monica too long

Last edited by Eskimo; Dec 21st 2005 at 6:29 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 6:27 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

lol you said it, a good old cuppa will do the trick...you're learnin' fast

Excuse me? me learning fast?

I'm the teacher, don't you know!

If you're not careful I'll have you writing lines.

Or stand in the corner.

Or... - ehem - much worse...
Old Dec 21st 2005, 6:39 pm

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all

I think the difference eating out here is that you don't get chance for a conversation. The concept of going out for a meal and having the table for the evening doesn't exist. It's sit down, order, get meal, get asked what desert you want while eating meal and if no desert, the bill is there before you've even finished the meal. Great service ?
Old Dec 21st 2005, 6:48 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Hey BritGuy, guess my thread topic should have been more specific...Anything good about living in Houston??
to your revised quesiton - not a lot!!!!!!

As for the earlier mention of no brits in Houston - I read somewhre therea re about 45000 of us scattered around. We're out in Katy, and there are quite a few around here, mainly commuting to the "oil corridor". If you're out this way, you're sure to bump into a few of us..
Old Dec 21st 2005, 6:50 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fitz750
I think the difference eating out here is that you don't get chance for a conversation. The concept of going out for a meal and having the table for the evening doesn't exist. It's sit down, order, get meal, get asked what desert you want while eating meal and if no desert, the bill is there before you've even finished the meal. Great service ?
Just because you've been given the check does not mean that you are obliged to leave. It is customary and meant to be for your convenience (i.e. no need to hunt down the waitstaff when you're ready to go), not a hint that it's time to move on. Just so long as you aren't frequenting the likes of Denny's and Carrows**, you may generally stay as you like.

**Sorry to burst any bubbles, but contrary to the adverts' claim, Carrow's doesn't really care.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.