Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anything good about living in the USA??

Anything good about living in the USA??

Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice
Default Re: Anything good about living in the USA??

Originally Posted by Fitz750
I think the difference eating out here is that you don't get chance for a conversation. The concept of going out for a meal and having the table for the evening doesn't exist. It's sit down, order, get meal, get asked what desert you want while eating meal and if no desert, the bill is there before you've even finished the meal. Great service ?
What irritates me immensely is when they ask repeatedly if they can take my plate the minute I stop eating to catch a breath of air. The service in restaurants, like most things in the US is over the top.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:07 pm

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrDub
What irritates me immensely is when they ask repeatedly if they can take my plate the minute I stop eating to catch a breath of air.
Or even when you take a breather while you wait to try and digest the oversize portion.

Roadwarrior i accept what you say and I've tried to accept that there are cultural* differences but it just seems so impolite to me.

(*sorry, i use cultural very literally, but for the want of a better word )
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:07 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrDub
What irritates me immensely is when they ask repeatedly if they can take my plate the minute I stop eating to catch a breath of air. The service in restaurants, like most things in the US is over the top.
A friend of mine had an over-the-top experience - water being topped up every time they took a sip; being asked if everything was ok after every 5 minutes. He got his food wrapped to take with him but left it on the table by mistake - he realised before he got to the door so went back - and would you believe they told him they'd already thrown it out - he'd never even left the restaurant. Could it really have been that much trouble to catch him before going out the door. This sort of thing seems to be pretty standard - once they've got the money they couldn't give a flying ****.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

dunc_b will become famous soon enoughdunc_b will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by neil
This sort of thing seems to be pretty standard - once they've got the money they couldn't give a flying ****.
You're absolutely right - it goes for every thing - ESPECIALLY car salesmen!

and Cox Communications - the mere typing of that name raised my blood pressure!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:14 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I think the difference eating out here is that you don't get chance for a conversation. The concept of going out for a meal and having the table for the evening doesn't exist. It's sit down, order, get meal, get asked what desert you want while eating meal and if no desert, the bill is there before you've even finished the meal. Great service ?
We never order the whole meal in one go.......if they are not happy with that then we leave.....
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:17 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Ah, the good old "if you don't like it, go home" line. I never get tired of hearing it, even after the 20,000th time. Well done MrDub! Keep up the good work.

I was just surprised it took till the 74th post before it came out
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:18 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
A friend of mine had an over-the-top experience - water being topped up every time they took a sip; being asked if everything was ok after every 5 minutes. He got his food wrapped to take with him but left it on the table by mistake - he realised before he got to the door so went back - and would you believe they told him they'd already thrown it out - he'd never even left the restaurant. Could it really have been that much trouble to catch him before going out the door. This sort of thing seems to be pretty standard - once they've got the money they couldn't give a flying ****.
Living in small town USA.....we know most of the servers....and because they know we tip well...they fight over who does our table......its nice to walk into a place and have your coffee on the table waiting.....
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:19 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
Every time i land at Heathrow i get depressed as hell and cant wait to fly back to US!!!
Thats what the people in Heathrow say too!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:21 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
I should have changed the thread to read 'Anything good about living in Houston'. You would also have read the various comments about Houston, it is not the idyllic dream place that anyone would retire to and like I said we are here for the pay check.
Even the city's tourist promotion officer (or somesuch title) struggled to come up with much good to say about Houston recently - he was bemoaning the fact that his counterparts in NY/SF/LA etc had lots to go on, but the only thing that would attract people to Houston was to work!!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:26 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
you're a cock thats lived in Santa Monica too long
I'm gonna scratch your eyes out you little bitch.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I was just surprised it took till the 74th post before it came out
Glad I could be of service.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:29 pm

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Even the city's tourist promotion officer (or somesuch title) struggled to come up with much good to say about Houston recently - he was bemoaning the fact that his counterparts in NY/SF/LA etc had lots to go on, but the only thing that would attract people to Houston was to work!!
I don't think Houston is any worse than any other American city. After all they have exactly the same shops, restaurant chains everywhere.

It's all very bland.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:31 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

You know, guys, what I miss more than anything here in the US of A?

The kind of banter that goes on here.

It's good for my English/British/whatever/WTF soul, but it just isn't the same as doing it for real.

Been here 4.5 years and still don't know a single person who I could tell to get lost/bugger off/get a life/***** off etc.

There are people back in Putney (you know who you are...) who are basically no more than acquaintances, with whom I have more meaningful conversations than I ever have with my 'friends' here.

And I'm in CA FFS. Must be even worse in TX, AL, MS

Ah well...
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
You know, guys, what I miss more than anything here in the US of A?

The kind of banter that goes on here.

It's good for my English/British/whatever/WTF soul, but it just isn't the same as doing it for real.

Been here 4.5 years and still don't know a single person who I could tell to get lost/bugger off/get a life/***** off etc.

There are people back in Putney (you know who you are...) who are basically no more than acquaintances, with whom I have more meaningful conversations than I ever have with my 'friends' here.

And I'm in CA FFS. Must be even worse in TX, AL, MS

Ah well...
Bugger Off - I hope your happy now
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:35 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger Off - I hope your happy now

You've made my day sweetheart!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.