Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old Mar 29th 2013, 10:23 am
Just Joined

rmart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

I attended my visa interview on wednesday. I have had numerous renewals of my visa over the last 20 years. I now get a 5yr visa each time.

However the time taken previously was around 5 days after the interview. Now they have changed the system and it takes 26 weeks. How come ! what do they possible do that takes that long . it's crazy.

Also, I was in some trouble in 1985 to 1989. 25 yrs ago almost and I still have to reapply each time. I am now 50 yrs old and find this very annoying.

I will now miss a family holiday in April because of the new system which has never been publicised.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

TranceMaster has a reputation beyond reputeTranceMaster has a reputation beyond reputeTranceMaster has a reputation beyond reputeTranceMaster has a reputation beyond reputeTranceMaster has a reputation beyond reputeTranceMaster has a reputation beyond reputeTranceMaster has a reputation beyond reputeTranceMaster has a reputation beyond reputeTranceMaster has a reputation beyond reputeTranceMaster has a reputation beyond reputeTranceMaster has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to our world!
Old Mar 29th 2013, 10:53 am
Just Joined

I should have never applied for a visa. I was advised over 20 yrs ago i would need one by my brother as i had a minor conviction. However, at my original interview the officer at the US embassy actually asked me why I had applied. He said I should not have bothered but I am in the system now and cannot cancel it and go on the visa waiver programme.

Over 20 yrs later I suffer because the americans take 26 weeks to send an email. It is pathetic.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:16 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rmart
Now they have changed the system and it takes 26 weeks. How come ! what do they possible do that takes that long . it
For one thing... the US government is not in any rush to approve waivers - and, AFAIK, the system has not actually changed.

I am now 50 yrs old and find this very annoying.
Sadly, the US government isn't interested in whether their rules and regulations are convenient for foreigners.

I will now miss a family holiday in April because of the new system which has never been publicised.
Respectfully, the US government is not obligated to tell any non-USC what they're doing. That said, I don't think there has been a change in the system - it's just taking longer than it used to. Why? Oh, I don't know... perhaps there are more people needing waivers now than there were in the past and they're being more thoroughly scrutinized.

I was advised over 20 yrs ago i would need one by my brother as i had a minor conviction.
I'd be mad at your brother rather than the US government. It's not their fault you applied for a visa when you didn't have to.

I am in the system now and cannot cancel it and go on the visa waiver programme.
Respectfully, that's simply not true. Have you ever actually tried applying for ESTA authorization?

Over 20 yrs later I suffer because the americans take 26 weeks to send an email.
Respectfully, you suffer because your brother didn't know any better and you listened to him. Put the blame where it should go!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Mar 29th 2013 at 11:19 am.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

wow ! hello mr angry !

yes i have tried to apply for an esta, I answer the questions truthfully and it says I cannot travel on the programme.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

yes i have tried to apply for an esta, I answer the questions truthfully and it says I cannot travel on the programme.
You don't say what sort of trouble you were in (you don't have to say, it's really none of our business) but, generally speaking, if it wasn't anything that involved a CIMT, then you don't need a visa. That's true even if you've been getting a visa for many years.

May I ask how often you have applied for ESTA? Generally for minor offenses, if you don't apply for ESTA for 6-12 months, it's often approved... given enough time.

Ian
Old Mar 30th 2013, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Hi,

I have no problem telling you about my convictions if you can help. Here goes.
edited as I have had reply.

I am not proud of any of this, in fact I am ashamed .

There is nothing in my past that is any kind if threat to anyone. It was stupid behaviour in a group of the wrong people. I am now 50 yrs old and a different person.

I have not applied for an esta for years as I would have to le on the form

Thanks.

Last edited by rmart; Mar 30th 2013 at 11:35 am.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 10:48 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Although there is no violence in your past, there are multiple examples of dishonesty which is why you need th visa.

Unfortunately for you youve managed to get caught up in a system which seems to be taking longer to do the same thing.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Yes that is true , for the last 20 yrs it took 5days. Now 6 months. Progress for you.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 11:21 am
Just Joined

I just wonder why, with people whos problems date back over 20 yrs and are non violent offences, they do not issue a visa for life with the proviso that if you do anything in usa which is wrong you are permanently barred.

That would save them lots of processing time on people who are clearly no threat.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 11:22 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Because circumstances change. What would be your motivation to declare any future offending to them and have to go through the process again, when you could travel on your lifetime-issued visa?
Old Mar 30th 2013, 11:31 am
Just Joined

i agree but I only meany in cases where it is clear an individual has not been in any trouble for over 20 years.

You and I both know there are many that go on the esta and just be dishonest. At least I acted in accordance with the US system.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 11:34 am
Just Joined

dont get me wrong. I actually really like the USA system. I wish we were as strict. But I guess I am just frustrated that it now takes 26 weeks.

I thought we were in a world of instant communication and technology. I cannot for the life of me think what is happening to my file other than it sitting on a desk for 25 weeks.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

dont get me wrong. I actually really like the USA system. I wish we were as strict. But I guess I am just frustrated that it now takes 26 weeks.

I thought we were in a world of instant communication and technology. I cannot for the life of me think what is happening to my file other than it sitting on a desk for 25 weeks.
It's potentially sitting on a desk for 25 weeks because there's thousands of other applicants who all want the same thing you do, and they need looking at too. The world doesn't revolve around your own single individual case.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 6:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
It's potentially sitting on a desk for 25 weeks because there's thousands of other applicants who all want the same thing you do, and they need looking at too...
... and they were all in line ahead of you!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.