Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old Feb 13th 2019, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Jay1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Just got my email today asking me to send my passport ... I applied for my visa on Oct 5th at the Embassy in London .. Just under 4 months
Old Feb 13th 2019, 2:19 am
Just Joined

laxkay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jay1971
Just got my email today asking me to send my passport ... I applied for my visa on Oct 5th at the Embassy in London .. Just under 4 months
Ah really good!! Congrats! My husband was 1st Nov so hopefully we're not too far behind you. You had to reschedule your holiday though right? If you don't mind me asking, what were your reasons for a waiver?
Old Feb 13th 2019, 2:21 am
Just Joined

Possession of a class a substance ... Was in 2011...
Old Feb 13th 2019, 2:22 am
Just Joined

Just a caution
Old Feb 13th 2019, 3:15 am
Just Joined

Just a caution
Cool, thats good then. My husband was class b back in 2008, same - caution. So I'm hoping he gets approved too!
I hope you have a good break!
Old Feb 13th 2019, 4:42 am
Just Joined

r3idjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I have read lots of the stories, and its good to hear some of the successes!

I am a UK citizen and have 1 conviction for possession of a class A substance (2 ecstasy pills) 7-8 years ago where I received a fine. It was a one off stupid mistake which I have totally regretted.

I am hoping to go to USA for a holiday next year and thinking of starting the visa/embassy process.I understand lots of people lie and go the ESTA route, however, even putting the fact this is offence aside, it would also cause major issues in the future if...
  • UK relax the rules of sharing criminal records with the USA.
  • ESTA process is retired.
  • I needed a work visa.
  • I wanted to live in the USA.
(I don't have any plans for this, however who knows what the future holds)

7-8 years on from my conviction I have had good career (even had a job with a large USA defense firm during this time), bought a house, got married and now have a daughter.

I understand I would need to visit the embassy where they would most likely deny the visa due to the nature of the drug offence.

My questions are:
  • What is the the likelihood of the embassy official recommending I am put forward for a waiver of ineligibility?
  • What do you feel the likelihood of being offered a B2 Visa after going through this process is?
Thank you.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 5:09 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by r3idjimmy
Hi All,

I have read lots of the stories, and its good to hear some of the successes!

I am a UK citizen and have 1 conviction for possession of a class A substance (2 ecstasy pills) 7-8 years ago where I received a fine. It was a one off stupid mistake which I have totally regretted.

I am hoping to go to USA for a holiday next year and thinking of starting the visa/embassy process.I understand lots of people lie and go the ESTA route, however, even putting the fact this is offence aside, it would also cause major issues in the future if...
  • UK relax the rules of sharing criminal records with the USA.
  • ESTA process is retired.
  • I needed a work visa.
  • I wanted to live in the USA.
(I don't have any plans for this, however who knows what the future holds)

7-8 years on from my conviction I have had good career (even had a job with a large USA defense firm during this time), bought a house, got married and now have a daughter.

I understand I would need to visit the embassy where they would most likely deny the visa due to the nature of the drug offence.

My questions are:
  • What is the the likelihood of the embassy official recommending I am put forward for a waiver of ineligibility?
  • What do you feel the likelihood of being offered a B2 Visa after going through this process is?
Thank you.
Given the time since the offence, along with the other circumstances mentioned, you probably stand a fair chance (better than 50%) of being recommended for a waiver and having a visa granted.

You mentioned possibly going to live in the USA in the future. You should realise that your conviction for possession of Class A drugs means it is impossible for you to get an immigrant visa.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Hi ya, you will have to apply for a full visa so don't waste anytime Any caution of any description makes you unable to get an ESTA I had to, I have a caution dating back to 2011 for Possession of a class a substance ... I went to the embassy on Oct 5th I was refused a visa But the interviewing officer put me forward for a Waiver of Ineligibility I got the email yesterday asking to send my passport to the embassy so mine took 4 months 9 days I am rebooking my holiday though but hey I should be definately going next year 👍
Old Feb 13th 2019, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ya, you will have to apply for a full visa so don't waste anytime Any caution of any description makes you unable to get an ESTA I had to, I have a caution dating back to 2011 for Possession of a class a substance ... I went to the embassy on Oct 5th I was refused a visa But the interviewing officer put me forward for a Waiver of Ineligibility I got the email yesterday asking to send my passport to the embassy so mine took 4 months 9 days I am rebooking my holiday though but hey I should be definately going next year 👍
Sorry, but that bit that I've highlighted in bold, is incorrect. Not every caution, indeed not even every conviction, makes you ineligible or unable to use ESTA. It depends on the exact circumstances of each offence as to whether or not they're relevant for US immigration purposes.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

How long did you get your visa for btw??
Old Feb 14th 2019, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

I attended the embassy on Oct 5th last year to apply for my visa .. My email came yesterday regarding my Waiver Of ineligibility .. So 4 months and 9 days .. It will still take an additional 7-10.working days to get my passport back once I send it to the embassy
Old Feb 14th 2019, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

I attended the embassy on Oct 5th last year to apply for my visa .. My email came yesterday regarding my Waiver Of ineligibility .. So 4 months and 9 days .. It will still take an additional 7-10.working days to get my passport back once I send it to the embassy
Sorry, I meant how long is your visa valid for?
Old Feb 15th 2019, 2:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by laxkay
Sorry, I meant how long is your visa valid for?
Five years and multiple entries seems to be the usual validity given to applicants needing a waiver of ineligibility in the last couple of years
Old Feb 15th 2019, 2:44 am
Just Joined

So my husband got an email to say his passport needs to be sent off but it doesnt say whether he's been granted the VISA. It just says: Please submit passport for visa processing. Please note that you have 30 days from today in which to resubmit your passport. You are NOT required to submit any other additional documents.

Does this mean he has been issued the visa?

Last edited by laxkay; Feb 15th 2019 at 2:52 am.
Old Feb 15th 2019, 3:36 am
Just Joined

P-don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by laxkay
So my husband got an email to say his passport needs to be sent off but it doesnt say whether he's been granted the VISA. It just says: Please submit passport for visa processing. Please note that you have 30 days from today in which to resubmit your passport. You are NOT required to submit any other additional documents.

Does this mean he has been issued the visa?
I was recommended for a waiver in December and was expecting to wait till June for the e-mail, maybe a chance i’ll get it a bit earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.