Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old Nov 18th 2018, 10:34 am
  #3991  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 56
movida is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Slight update from me, as in this thread I applied for my first waiver following a single conviction in 2002 (theft from employer) and got my visa recently.

I was worried about secondary processing, especially as I’d spent so much on the trip and became paranoid about being told I was still barred from entry. Landed at JFK and was taken into a waiting area, led by the guy at the customs desk. Only about 5 people in there and loads of staff all over the place.

I was dreading an hours long wait after reading stories above. I was also wondering where my luggage may be if I had to wait so long as I was travelling alone. I was ‘interviewed’ after only 20 mins or so and I envisaged having to explain everything again and show my remorse. The reality was the single question I was asked being ‘how long are you staying for’, I answered and they simply said ‘very well’ and immediately stamped my passport.

That was it, I’ve dreaded this process and had so many nightmares about this for years it feels strange being here like I somehow managed to sneak in. Was definitely worth it in the end, such a long and expensive process and knowing I need to do it again periodically and always face an unknown wait in secondary processing isn’t great. Particularly if I ever need a visa for work or am travelling with friends, how do you explain it when you’re dragged off and could be there for hours?!
movida is offline  
Old Nov 18th 2018, 10:33 pm
  #3992  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 4,891
materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Originally Posted by movida
Slight update from me, as in this thread I applied for my first waiver following a single conviction in 2002 (theft from employer) and got my visa recently.

I was worried about secondary processing, especially as I’d spent so much on the trip and became paranoid about being told I was still barred from entry. Landed at JFK and was taken into a waiting area, led by the guy at the customs desk. Only about 5 people in there and loads of staff all over the place.

I was dreading an hours long wait after reading stories above. I was also wondering where my luggage may be if I had to wait so long as I was travelling alone. I was ‘interviewed’ after only 20 mins or so and I envisaged having to explain everything again and show my remorse. The reality was the single question I was asked being ‘how long are you staying for’, I answered and they simply said ‘very well’ and immediately stamped my passport.

That was it, I’ve dreaded this process and had so many nightmares about this for years it feels strange being here like I somehow managed to sneak in. Was definitely worth it in the end, such a long and expensive process and knowing I need to do it again periodically and always face an unknown wait in secondary processing isn’t great. Particularly if I ever need a visa for work or am travelling with friends, how do you explain it when you’re dragged off and could be there for hours?!
Tell them the truth. What have you got to hide?
materialcontroller is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2018, 11:25 pm
  #3993  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 6
Yoby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Hi all,

I had my meeting on 14th of November, I was told by the lady that it should take about 5 months to be done. That is really close to my honeymoon date of 6th of April. I know there’s no way to speed up the process, but is there anyway to speed up sending the passport back? Like taking in myself? Thanks
Yoby is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2018, 11:51 pm
  #3994  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 24
Jay1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

I'd ring the embassy in London 02074999000 if I was you dooble check, good luck tc
Jay1971 is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2018, 1:17 am
  #3995  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 10
floridadream is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

I'm also interested in the answer to this.... Could you please feedback on here if you get a response from the embassy. My husbands visa was sent off at a similar time to yours and we are hoping to travel for Easter. I think it would make all the difference if we were able to travel down to London with the passport
floridadream is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2018, 1:42 am
  #3996  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,166
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

According to previous posts on this thread, you can't take the passport in personally, only via courier or post. There is a search function, top right of the thread, if you want to find the relevant posts.

HTH.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2018, 3:17 am
  #3997  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 46,469
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
According to previous posts on this thread, you can't take the passport in personally, only via courier or post. There is a search function, top right of the thread, if you want to find the relevant posts.

HTH.


There is no way to physically attend the US Embassy in London to deliver your passport and then hang around for it to be processed. A courier or overnight delivery system will get it there the next day and it will go into the pile set aside for processing. It might not be gotten to for 2 or 3 days or longer. Then it goes to the courier for return to your husband.
Rete is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2018, 4:23 am
  #3998  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 10
floridadream is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Originally Posted by Rete


There is no way to physically attend the US Embassy in London to deliver your passport and then hang around for it to be processed. A courier or overnight delivery system will get it there the next day and it will go into the pile set aside for processing. It might not be gotten to for 2 or 3 days or longer. Then it goes to the courier for return to your husband.
Ah ok, thanks. I thought it was too good to be true :-)
floridadream is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2018, 1:35 pm
  #3999  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 1
dens01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Hi! Has anyone who had a consular visa appointment in July hear back? I had mine July 13 and haven't heard back yet. Thanks.
dens01 is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2018, 11:14 pm
  #4000  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
phil625sxc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Hi all, some great info on this thread so thanks for that.
My question - I think I saw in one reply that once the waiver is approved and the email arrives asking you to send in your passport for visa issuance this must be done in 30 days, is this correct?
Reason for asking is I needed the visa for cruise ship work, and as I could't get it I had to cancel a contract and so I'm trying to get similar work that doesn't require this visa, therefore in 6 months time when the email comes I could be overseas - does anyone know what happens if they don't receive the passport back within the 30 days, would this mean you would have to start the whole process again?
Many thanks in advance!
phil625sxc is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2018, 7:25 pm
  #4001  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 24
Jay1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

What I was told is that the sending the passport back process takes roughly 10 days from sending it to receiving it back
Jay1971 is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2018, 7:53 pm
  #4002  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 10
floridadream is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

I have read that you have to email them if you cannot post it to them within the 30 days.
floridadream is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2018, 7:57 pm
  #4003  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 4,891
materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Originally Posted by phil625sxc
Hi all, some great info on this thread so thanks for that.
My question - I think I saw in one reply that once the waiver is approved and the email arrives asking you to send in your passport for visa issuance this must be done in 30 days, is this correct?
Reason for asking is I needed the visa for cruise ship work, and as I could't get it I had to cancel a contract and so I'm trying to get similar work that doesn't require this visa, therefore in 6 months time when the email comes I could be overseas - does anyone know what happens if they don't receive the passport back within the 30 days, would this mean you would have to start the whole process again?
Many thanks in advance!
If it bothers you so much, just plan to be in the UK/at home when the outcome is decided; or arrange to return to the UK temporarily in order to deal with it.

I don't know for certain, but I seem to remember one case on here where the applicant never received the email and consequently missed the passport return deadline. AFAIK they never had to start the complete process over again, but it may well be that it's specific to the circumstances of each individual case. YMMV.

It is likely to be a lot of hassle and bureaucracy though, so aim to avoid that by being at home and able to deal with things when the email arrives. Best of luck!
materialcontroller is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2018, 10:37 pm
  #4004  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
phil625sxc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Thanks for the replies guys.

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
It is likely to be a lot of hassle and bureaucracy though, so aim to avoid that by being at home and able to deal with things when the email arrives. Best of luck!
Yes, this is what I was imagining would be the case! And the jobs I would be looking at are 4-6 months so if I took one it wouldn't be easy to come back to the UK if the email arrives midway through the contract, so by the sounds of it I may be better off staying put and waiting.

Thanks.
phil625sxc is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2018, 7:23 am
  #4005  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2
bazza209 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Hi, sorry if this has been answered else where. How long should i wait before applying for a visa/waiver? Caution for possesion/attempted class A cocaine in March this year(2018).
Ps been reassured greatly by the info on this tread.

Thanks
bazza209 is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.