Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old May 9th 2018, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Originally Posted by movida
I have an interview at Belfast next week. Must I bring all original documents (ie criminal record check, original conviction documents etc?) I must have these back for future use. Do they return all documents intact or should I take photocopies? If they accept them.
AFAIK you only need to take the original copy of the ACRO police certificate. You could take photocopies of everything else (but the consulate might not be interested in looking at them anyway).
Old May 13th 2018, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo3ler
Oh wow! I can imagine. I wouldn't say boo to a goose with those guys. They're very serious.

Thanks so much for all the info, at least now I can prep ahead of the trip.

Look forward to your update on United. Have a good trip
So United into LAX - what I was hoping for basically happened but perhaps too effectively. As it's a small terminal with relatively few inbound international flights, the immigration hall is a lot quicker than Tom Bradley (aka TBIT). I got pulled to Secondary after about a half hour wait to see the Primary officer, and I had a further 20-25 minute wait with around 4 people ahead of me, all of which arrived after me, all of which were USCs. I guess they might have been transfers. So I should have been out in about 5 minutes but for whatever reason I was not a priority. Unusually, there was only one officer in Secondary, sat at a desk in a very open room - it was unusually informal but that did make the experience less trying. From the doors on the plane opening to getting out of the airport, it was about 90 minutes which is very decent indeed for LAX. Overall, would do again. Flight itself was fine - economy on a dreamliner is much of a muchness. Virgin Atlantic terminal is still quicker as they have a few more staff.
Old May 21st 2018, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Peterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Has anyone in here experience with the matter of whether a conviction can actually be so old that you no longer would need a Waiver any longer? say if you have renewed your waiver a few times and suddenly its +15 years ago since your conviction.. Can you then actually be eligible for a visa (ESTA) again at such time or would you have to apply for a waiver each and every time.

wondering...

Kindest regards,
Peter
Old May 21st 2018, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Peterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond reputePeterdk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiversaint
So United into LAX - what I was hoping for basically happened but perhaps too effectively. As it's a small terminal with relatively few inbound international flights, the immigration hall is a lot quicker than Tom Bradley (aka TBIT). I got pulled to Secondary after about a half hour wait to see the Primary officer, and I had a further 20-25 minute wait with around 4 people ahead of me, all of which arrived after me, all of which were USCs. I guess they might have been transfers. So I should have been out in about 5 minutes but for whatever reason I was not a priority. Unusually, there was only one officer in Secondary, sat at a desk in a very open room - it was unusually informal but that did make the experience less trying. From the doors on the plane opening to getting out of the airport, it was about 90 minutes which is very decent indeed for LAX. Overall, would do again. Flight itself was fine - economy on a dreamliner is much of a muchness. Virgin Atlantic terminal is still quicker as they have a few more staff.

That is nice, thanks for sharing. Never, repeat never fly into D.C. Dulles, it will take you forever. on a "quiet day" I was stock there for 2 hours and missed my connection. Dulles is bad.
I was landing once in LAX, Tom Bradley too and it was super fast too.
Old May 21st 2018, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peterdk
Hi guys,

Has anyone in here experience with the matter of whether a conviction can actually be so old that you no longer would need a Waiver any longer? say if you have renewed your waiver a few times and suddenly its +15 years ago since your conviction.. Can you then actually be eligible for a visa (ESTA) again at such time or would you have to apply for a waiver each and every time.

wondering...

Kindest regards,
Peter
Criminal inadmissibility is for life. If it applies to you, you will always need a visa and waiver irrespective of how long ago your conviction was.
Old May 21st 2018, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. So on a practical note, if one wants to keep having a valid Waiver in their passport continuously - what do you do? as it takes, currently, 18-25 weeks for an application to be taken care of, do you then apply BEFORE your current waiver expires and would that be acceptable? if not, there will always be periods where you cannot re-enter the U.S. on a short notice I guess.
Old May 21st 2018, 3:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Peterdk
Thanks. So on a practical note, if one wants to keep having a valid Waiver in their passport continuously - what do you do? as it takes, currently, 18-25 weeks for an application to be taken care of, do you then apply BEFORE your current waiver expires and would that be acceptable? if not, there will always be periods where you cannot re-enter the U.S. on a short notice I guess.
Yes, it's perfectly acceptable to apply for a new visa and waiver while an existing one is still valid.
Old May 21st 2018, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, as always appreciated. That is good to know. I will then start re-applying while on my current one like 6 months before it expires in order to keep it running without interference.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

ireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really nice

Hi all,

just a a quick question.

Im off for my B1/B2 interview in 20th. Am I missing anything out of this list, to take with me.

ACRO
VCU1
visa photos
Expired passport with old visa in.
New passport I applied with.
Confirmation and Instruction letter
DS-160 confirmation letter

is that all I need. This is my 3rd visa I’ll receive if I’m lucky.

Another question.

The last 2 times I had to email the vcu1 form back to them? This time it’s saying to take it with me. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ireallywannago; Jun 6th 2018 at 1:50 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 11:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ireallywannago
Hi all,

just a a quick question.

Im off for my B1/B2 interview in 20th. Am I missing anything out of this list, to take with me.

ACRO
VCU1
visa photos
Expired passport with old visa in.
New passport I applied with.
Confirmation and Instruction letter
DS-160 confirmation letter

is that all I need. This is my 3rd visa I’ll receive if I’m lucky.

Another question.

The last 2 times I had to email the vcu1 form back to them? This time it’s saying to take it with me. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.
Seems as though you have everything you need.

If the current instructions tell you to take the VCU-01 in person, then that's what you need to do. The way things were done in the past is irrelevant.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

SethFreakingRollins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jo3ler
Hello everyone.

Just got back from my 2nd trip to the US (both times JFK), got sent to the secondary processing room after immigration and it took a mere 15mins to get processed, couple of questions and "have a nice trip".

Is this the same at most airports in the US for folks with Waivers of Ineligibility? I'm due to be going to Vegas next year and I wondered if anyone had experience on this there?

Thanks in advance and good luck to all those still waiting for the email!
I flew into Newark last year and this sounds almost identical to my experience. Flying in to San Francisco at the end of this month so we will see if that is a similar experience!
Old Jun 13th 2018, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

SethFreakingRollins is an unknown quantity at this point

I would just like to say that it is good that this thread is still going and as informative as it is. This thread was a great help and reassurance for me in early 2017 when i was due to fly to USA using my waiver for the first time.

The first hand experiences of people really set my mind at ease. Entering the USA was extremely efficient and all officers were polite and courteous while going about their jobs.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

movida is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone waiting for a waiver having applied through Belfast? As per my other thread I now have a waiver being applied for. Current processing time on the Belfast update sheet says 2-3 months, and it looks like from the dates on there that it's generally taking around 2.5 months. I won't hold my breath but we'll see.

Generally are most waivers accepted? I was sentenced around 12 years ago for theft from employer, it was minor in terms of value and I received 80 hours community service. As with everyone on here, it's embarrassing to have to go through this process as I pose absolutely zero threat, however I appreciate we have no choice. I'd be surprised if it wasn't accepted but I was refused very shortly after my conviction when I applied in c 2006. Surely more than enough time has passed hence my recommendation for a waiver, although as per my other thread the record on the embassy system incorrectly had me down for 2 offences rather than 1, hence they actually tried to process me via the Petty Offence exception (which ended up being unsuccessful, hence the waiver).

Also, I read on this thread the 'norm' is to grant 5 year visas. Have any first time applications been granted this (or are they 6 months)? If I were fortunate to receive a waiver and in enough time, I've got a pencilled in trip for late November but I'd also like a shorter visit before that (again dependent on timing). Obviously wouldn't want to 'waste' a single entry visa on a trip to NY for a few days and would be best to save it for the longer planned trip. If I were granted a single entry visa for 6 months for example, could I apply for another before I'd actually visited the US, and would the second visa 'top up' the first one so I'd essentially have two back to back single entry visas?

Last edited by movida; Jun 17th 2018 at 9:50 am.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 11:12 am
Account Closed

Anyone waiting for a waiver having applied through Belfast? As per my other thread I now have a waiver being applied for. Current processing time on the Belfast update sheet says 2-3 months, and it looks like from the dates on there that it's generally taking around 2.5 months. I won't hold my breath but we'll see.

Generally are most waivers accepted? I was sentenced around 12 years ago for theft from employer, it was minor in terms of value and I received 80 hours community service. As with everyone on here, it's embarrassing to have to go through this process as I pose absolutely zero threat, however I appreciate we have no choice. I'd be surprised if it wasn't accepted but I was refused very shortly after my conviction when I applied in c 2006. Surely more than enough time has passed hence my recommendation for a waiver, although as per my other thread the record on the embassy system incorrectly had me down for 2 offences rather than 1, hence they actually tried to process me via the Petty Offence exception (which ended up being unsuccessful, hence the waiver).

Also, I read on this thread the 'norm' is to grant 5 year visas. Have any first time applications been granted this (or are they 6 months)? If I were fortunate to receive a waiver and in enough time, I've got a pencilled in trip for late November but I'd also like a shorter visit before that (again dependent on timing). Obviously wouldn't want to 'waste' a single entry visa on a trip to NY for a few days and would be best to save it for the longer planned trip. If I were granted a single entry visa for 6 months for example, could I apply for another before I'd actually visited the US, and would the second visa 'top up' the first one so I'd essentially have two back to back single entry visas?
Stop overthinking and complicating things. You will almost certainly be granted the waiver and it will most likely be valid for 5 years and multiple entries, just like anyone other applicant.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband recently had his waiver approved via Belfast - took exactly 13 weeks. There were getting processed quicker but according to my lawyer, everything has slowed down since April.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.