Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Feb 4th 2014, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Tire pressure monitoring is now required by law in the US and the UK/EU, though it is not retroactive--only for new cars. Not sure why they offered it as an add-on as it should have been standard. Maybe the dealer trying to squeeze out a few more dollars.

http://www.tyrepal.co.uk/tpms-legislation/453.html

http://www.truflexpang.co.uk/pang/ne...-TPMS-imminent
I didn't know it was mandatory here. So you have to have a tire pressure monitoring system but there is no requirement for any kind of comprehensive vehicle inspection (MOT etc) other than emissions, that makes sense
Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:08 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Prior to it being mandatory in the U.S., it was often an option or part of a package. The big question is how many people pay any attention to them.

The check engine light was always the bane of our existence. People coming in in a panic thinking their engine is going to blow up. We even had people call for a tow because they were afraid to drive it. I remember one guy who came in three times with his check engine light, all panicky. Each time it was because of a loose gas cap, and each time we told him, and each time he never thought to check that before he drove in all annoyed. The vast majority of check engine light situations are pollution related.
The problem is that the "check engine" light was often an indication of overheating on many American cars. On my old Volvo, I paniced when the "check engine" light went on and my mechanic told me "don't worry, if the car is driving fine, bring it in next week for your oil change." The Volvo has a temperature gauge and separate radiator light.

On the BMW, the check engine light went on, but the car was running quite roughly and smoking. Mechanic plugs in the computer and said the engine was in "limp home mode" and there was a vacuum leak somewhere. It turned out to be a bitch to find the leak -- the intake plenum, made of plastic, had cracked in a spot not visible to the mechanic.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:09 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I didn't know it was mandatory here. So you have to have a tire pressure monitoring system but there is no requirement for any kind of comprehensive vehicle inspection (MOT etc) other than emissions, that makes sense
The comprehensive inspection is a matter of STATE, not Federal law. Some state do it, some don't.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The comprehensive inspection is a matter of STATE, not Federal law. Some state do it, some don't.
And that's the problem...all the cast off's end up in NJ/FL and where ever else inspections aren't done and some states are much more stringent than others, on certain things.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:57 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Just emissions here in Rust City. Some cars literally look like they're falling apart.

Nitrogen in your tires makes the car run better.

Pete
Old Feb 4th 2014, 7:08 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
Just emissions here in Rust City. Some cars literally look like they're falling apart.

Pete
Out in the country here is GA you don't even need to pass emissions. It's insane with some of the shitheaps you see on the road.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Pete
My car came with nitrogen filled tires. I've yet to see the big deal.

Thankfully, I found a local dealer that will check and fill them for free, so I have no qualms using them - and they do seem to stay at a constant pressure for longer, even with the change of weather we've been having.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

All nitrogen does is stop your tyres deflating over time due to the bigger molecules. So I guess yes, if you never check your tyre pressures, then I guess that's correct.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 8:54 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
All nitrogen does is stop your tyres deflating over time due to the bigger molecules. So I guess yes, if you never check your tyre pressures, then I guess that's correct.
How does that work?

Air is 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen. Oxygen is a bigger molecule than nitrogen, so surely there has to be some other effect at play.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't a clue how it works, but that's what I've always been told. Is a solid nitrogen molecule bigger than an air molecule? No idea. Guess that what happens when you listen to kwik fit
Old Feb 4th 2014, 9:00 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't a clue how it works, but that's what I've always been told. Is a solid nitrogen molecule bigger than an air molecule? No idea. Guess that what happens when you listen to kwik fit
There's no such thing as an air molecule

Air is 78% nitrogen molecules, 21% oxygen molecules and the rest is made up of other stuff like carbon dioxide, water and a few noble gases.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 9:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You only notice it really if there's big temp fluctuations from summer to winter like when up in Maine, but even the big temp drop from -40F in the woods to 20F in the open.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh, I don't bloody know then . All I could see on google is nitrogen is less prone to escape through rubber than air. If that ain't due to molecules, atoms, protons or whatever, I don't know (great to see my chemistry grades in school have stood me in such great stead )
Old Feb 4th 2014, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Nitrogen is probably drier.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

"You can't get thicker than a Kwik-Fit fitter"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.