Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jan 31st 2014, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Nutek
This is what it looked like, it was down between the front seats. If you had one, you may have seen it whilst fumbling around for your stash.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Mini-Mk-1-2-L...gog~~60_35.JPG
She talks about the starting button being underneath the front seat @ 2:15 into the video.

Old Jan 31st 2014, 2:25 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
She talks about the starting button being underneath the front seat @ 2:15 into the video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hK-EN2VFbnQ
That's the one. Nice find.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 2:37 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interesting chronology -- it seems to indicate that the floor start button was gone by 1962, or perhaps that was just for the Supers:

http://www.austinmemories.com/page8/page36/page36.html
Old Jan 31st 2014, 2:51 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
This is an interesting chronology -- it seems to indicate that the floor start button was gone by 1962, or perhaps that was just for the Supers:

http://www.austinmemories.com/page8/page36/page36.html
Mine was later than that... I THINK around 65-66? It is also possible it was a retro-fit... In the video it says "almost under the seat", mine was between the seats behind the handbrake.

(When I say "handbrake", I mean the little metal flappy thing that made a ratchety noise if you moved it up and down... I do not mean to imply that it served any actual function with regard to impeding motion).

[Edit] That is a great link btw.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 3:13 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was later than that... I THINK around 65-66? It is also possible it was a retro-fit... In the video it says "almost under the seat", mine was between the seats behind the handbrake.

(When I say "handbrake", I mean the little metal flappy thing that made a ratchety noise if you moved it up and down... I do not mean to imply that it served any actual function with regard to impeding motion).

[Edit] That is a great link btw.

Mine was definitely a 1964 -- B registration -- and I'm sure that all this talk of the floor starter would have jogged my memory if it had been there. LOL re the flappy thing, I do remember that! I was just thinking about those tiny little projections you flipped to turn the lights on. I thought the long extensions I bought to slip over them were just so cool! Oh boy, how I loved that car!
Old Jan 31st 2014, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I thought the long extensions I bought to slip over them were just so cool! Oh boy, how I loved that car!
I had those. They made the car 1000% times more sporty.

I also had a stick-on rear window defroster. There was a length of what looked like water heater wire running down the inside of the car to a switch mounted on the dash... well, shelf thingy with what looked like Meccano. The switch itself used to get hot cos it had a red bulb in it, but I don't recall the window ever defrosting.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 3:29 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info! It occurred to me that I saw a panel wagon version of the mini in a field not far away a couple years ago, I think I'll take a drive this weekend and see if it's still there.

Pete
Old Jan 31st 2014, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
Thanks for the info! It occurred to me that I saw a panel wagon version of the mini in a field not far away a couple years ago, I think I'll take a drive this weekend and see if it's still there.

Pete
There is a lot of fun to be had with an old Mini. Every one of them comes with its own issues, but it doesn't matter because absolutely everything is fixable.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Just for the sake of completion, Mini is now a BMW brand, for those that didn't know. Has been since the "new" Mini was introduced.

BMW also owns Rolls Royce and VAG owns Bentley. Kinda sad that these three icons of British motoring are all owned by foreign concerns now.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

All this conversation about Mini's makes me think of Mr Bean. I do love the old Mini's though. I have seen a few mint condition ones running around here in Lima. Would love to have one.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 3:52 am
Deep in the woods of CT

I had those. They made the car 1000% times more sporty.

I also had a stick-on rear window defroster. There was a length of what looked like water heater wire running down the inside of the car to a switch mounted on the dash... well, shelf thingy with what looked like Meccano. The switch itself used to get hot cos it had a red bulb in it, but I don't recall the window ever defrosting.
LOL! Very hi-tech! I had nothing as fancy as that. I did get one of those lace-on leather steering wheel covers -- anything for my baby! I also had a car radio -- a transistor that rolled around on the front seat.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

We watched Rush last night and James Hunt was running around in a mint D-reg Cooper S.

That was cool - and the movie is excellent!
Old Jan 31st 2014, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Just for the sake of completion, Mini is now a BMW brand, for those that didn't know. Has been since the "new" Mini was introduced.

BMW also owns Rolls Royce and VAG owns Bentley. Kinda sad that these three icons of British motoring are all owned by foreign concerns now.
Yeah, still made in the UK at least, (and great fun when you order one because you get to watch it being built on the production line). We had a similar discussion earlier with regard to "domestic" cars in the USA.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf

Range Rover and Jaguar now owned by Indians.....not the Native American ones, either.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Range Rover and Jaguar now owned by Indians.....not the Native American ones, either.
The local Stop and Shop had bags of "Cowboys and Native Americans" for sale. Just doesn't have the same ring to it somehow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.