Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Lucybell33
Another fine looking car, but doesn't seem to have a convertible model, unless I've missed it?
Not fond of the look of that car and, no, no convertible. This is Chrysler's convertible. Comes in hard top convertible or soft top models. More lux than sport.

http://www.chrysler.com/en/200-convertible/
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about cars-2013-chrysler-200-convertible.jpg  
Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Not fond of the look of that car and, no, no convertible. This is Chrysler's convertible. Comes in hard top convertible or soft top models. More lux than sport.

http://www.chrysler.com/en/200-convertible/
Still prefer the Mustang. My previous car was a PT Cruiser (rebound purchase after child-enforced sale of Porsche), so that's put me off Chryslers!
Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Still prefer the Mustang. My previous car was a PT Cruiser (rebound purchase after child-enforced sale of Porsche), so that's put me off Chryslers!
Big Mustang fan myself.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah - it looks like a pretty nice car to me. The Camaro looks great, but not if the comparably priced V6 is not so good.
Camaro is a bit shit...well around where I am, they keep spinning around on the gritted road and a bit naff.

'Stang, bit hair dressery, but the new one sounds like it might be okay.

Charger, just seemed very ordinary when a friend drove us around in hers...plus parking in it was really shit.

If you've got to go muscle, got to go vintage. Plus they didn't have those safety boot openers, so no one will notice when you dump the kids in the back.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Camaro is a bit shit...well around where I am, they keep spinning around on the gritted road and a bit naff.

Charger, just seemed very ordinary when a friend drove us around in hers...plus parking in it was really shit.

If you've got to go muscle, got to go vintage. Plus they didn't have those safety boot openers, so no one will notice when you dump the kids in the back.
Thanks for that round up - nicely concise, but informative!

Reminds me of another question I meant to ask - new or second hand best for the fun car. Stumping up around $80k for two new cars is a bit eye-watering, but I was thinking it might be better to buy new fun car and second hand sensible car, as the former is more likely to have been trashed than the latter?
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Batteries are simply re-branded and not actual Honda or Toyota or any other manufacturers part. Big difference when it comes to the mechanical bits which are from the suppliers that actually supply the parts to Honda, Toyota etc for installation in new vehicles at the factory, per the manufacturers specs. Aftermarket parts are almost never as good a factory spec parts.

That was my point.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
My MX-5 came from the dealership with Nitrogen filled tyres. Top ups were free, so I never paid it much attention. Did have nice green valve caps though. Apparently these let the mechanic know they have Nitrogen in 'em.

My H van now has green valve caps as it has the wheels off one of our race cars, the guy at my local is never quite sure why I've never topped them up with nitrogen while I'm there.

Not many people (in the trade or otherwise) realise the significance of the green cap.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

OK - have already had the mick taken out of me by some individuals for my choice of practical car (Honda Odyssey), so am not going to talk about that one again here.

However, I would be interested in your views on my choice of fun car. I used to have a Boxster, but that was pre-kids (well, until our son was 5 months), so now looking for a decent four seater sports car. Since it would be good to have something properly American, we're leaning towards a Mustang. Thinking about the V6 convertible. Any views? Is the V6 Premium a better bet? Or is the V6 going to feel underpowered, and therefore better to go for the GT?
The Honda Odyssey isa very fine choice in that type of vehicle

Instead of the obvious 'stang/Camaro options havea look at the Dodge Charger/Challenger offerings. That would probably be my chioce.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Got to agree here. The modern takes on the classic pony cars are a bit poor. Very plastic, very cheap feel to them and the handling is piss poor (drove my FiL's Camaro, terrible).
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of another question I meant to ask - new or second hand best for the fun car. Stumping up around $80k for two new cars is a bit eye-watering, but I was thinking it might be better to buy new fun car and second hand sensible car, as the former is more likely to have been trashed than the latter?
They're both as likely to have been thrashed about. Have you not seen how most parents drive those people carriers? They're all pissed off with the world for driving one and thrash them around more than anyone...
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

I'd agree with Bob.

But I'd say the people carrier is far more likely to have been abused than any sports car
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Very nice looking car too. I'm sure someone will tell you that the V8 is the way to go, but honestly, 300+ horses are plenty of fun and (probably) more than you will use. ....
On any practical basis you are correct, but the sound of a Mustang V8 alone justifies the extra two cylinders.
.... Of course, we haven't yet had the argument about what is a "sports car" and what is a "muscle car", so there is still that hurdle to clear.
And, to confuse matters further, the Mustang and the Camaro aren't either, they're pony cars.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 6th 2014 at 12:10 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:14 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
On any practical basis you are correct, but the sound of a Mustang V8 alone justifies the extra two cylinders.
And, to confuse matters further, the Mustang and the Camaro aren't either, they're pony cars.
Wondered where you were.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

My MX-5 came from the dealership with Nitrogen filled tyres. Top ups were free, so I never paid it much attention. Did have nice green valve caps though. Apparently these let the mechanic know they have Nitrogen in 'em.
After living with here for 11 months, I've just found out why my wife's valve caps are green

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
A Dodge Charger R/T will do me. Fast and Practical, with 4 doors.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ROO2OAqyoc

The father in law had a charger as a courtesy car and hated it. He does drive round in an MX5 so is used to a well handling car, but the charger was so softly sprung, that as a freeway tourer it was fine, but as a car to have a bit if fun in, it was severely lacking according to him. Plus they only come in auto's don't they, so that would rule one out straight away for me.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:43 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
The father in law had a charger as a courtesy car and hated it. He does drive round in an MX5 so is used to a well handling car, but the charger was so softly sprung, that as a freeway tourer it was fine, but as a car to have a bit if fun in, it was severely lacking according to him. Plus they only come in auto's don't they, so that would rule one out straight away for me.
??? Isn't this thread about "cars" -- aka "autos." [Watch that apostrophe]. Just asking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.