Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jul 22nd 2021, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by tht
This looks amazing and that insurance rate is amazing. I need a 4 seat similar to this for my lake house. It has 2 garage bays so easy to keep it up there and no need for a roof. Would just take it out summer / fall for ice cream or joy ride for the kids… lucky it has no doors. I see the newer jeeps driving around here and it looks like they have had their doors stolen when they leave the top down.. I guess it’s better than finding your car on blocks with no wheels, at least you can still drive it without doors…

I assume that something like this is told old to qualify to list on TURO? , I think I could get renters on VRBO to add on a fun car rental and it would likely also be able to cover it’s cost like the property does.
Most people that use the minimal tops take the doors off also. They just lift off the hinges. A used JK model stripped down would be a good choice for your purpose. The very new jeeps have become more soccer mom SUV’s than heritage type jeeps. The mail jeep DJ5’s like I used for this project are two wheel drive automatic transmission but use a even heavier frame than the CJ5’s they were based on. I have declared it done yesterday after getting front end aligned and two new tires giving me a spare. Mine is a 1983 model year that came with a 151 cu inch four cylinder and Chrysler 904 automatic transmission.

Old Jul 22nd 2021, 9:17 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Most people that use the minimal tops take the doors off also. They just lift off the hinges. A used JK model stripped down would be a good choice for your purpose. The very new jeeps have become more soccer mom SUV’s than heritage type jeeps. The mail jeep DJ5’s like I used for this project are two wheel drive automatic transmission but use a even heavier frame than the CJ5’s they were based on. I have declared it done yesterday after getting front end aligned and two new tires giving me a spare. Mine is a 1983 model year that came with a 151 cu inch four cylinder and Chrysler 904 automatic transmission.

Interesting.. even if not required for structural integrity it can’t help having no doors in an accident, I guess less chance of being trapped, but way less protection….

Looks like TURO has classic cars, so at that age an older one may work and I think they are exempt from emissions testing in CT as well. A house down the road has had one parked under its deck with a for sale sign on it for as long as I can remember… but it looks like you put a lot of sweat equity in to yours….

https://turo.com/us/en/classic-rental/united-states
Old Jul 24th 2021, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Interesting.. even if not required for structural integrity it can’t help having no doors in an accident, I guess less chance of being trapped, but way less protection….
If you have even the slightest interest in safety, I don't think you would be driving a door-less, roof-less vehicle in the first place. But then, people ride motor-bikes ...

I think in the case of ddsrph, he doesn't drive this vehicle fast or far so that should mitigate most risk ... hopefully ...
Old Jul 24th 2021, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
If you have even the slightest interest in safety, I don't think you would be driving a door-less, roof-less vehicle in the first place. But then, people ride motor-bikes ...

I think in the case of ddsrph, he doesn't drive this vehicle fast or far so that should mitigate most risk ... hopefully ...
Thats correct. Will only drive to town at top speed of around 45mph. It has a very heavy steel frame with massive bumpers and roll bar. Still only safer than motorcycle when comparing to modern airbag cars. My rural area is also a safety factor compared to something like the LA freeway.
Old Jul 24th 2021, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thats correct. Will only drive to town at top speed of around 45mph. It has a very heavy steel frame with massive bumpers and roll bar. Still only safer than motorcycle when comparing to modern airbag cars. My rural area is also a safety factor compared to something like the LA freeway.
I've always wondered what it would be like if such a vehicle rolled onto its side. Would the seatbelt hold you in far enough to prevent destroying your arm / side with 'road rash'? I used to ride a motorbike in London (like a maniac!) but at least back then, we wore full leathers. I did come flying off the thing once, through the air and along the road, coming to a stop just in front of a car, that also just managed to come to a stop. I can't imagine what would have happened to my body had I not been well padded with a durable material like leather! Soon after that, I counted my blessings and gave up riding for good.
Old Jul 25th 2021, 12:08 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

My '67 Austin Gipsy was an absolute riot to drive, but sometimes a tight corner a little too fast would cause the door on the outside of the arc to fly open, so it was important not to hang onto them. It was the short model (G4M10) and lacked both roll bar and seat belts. It did have a hydraulic pump, ram, and plow blade though which came in handy a couple of times.
Old Jul 25th 2021, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

I've always wondered what it would be like if such a vehicle rolled onto its side. Would the seatbelt hold you in far enough to prevent destroying your arm / side with 'road rash'? I used to ride a motorbike in London (like a maniac!) but at least back then, we wore full leathers. I did come flying off the thing once, through the air and along the road, coming to a stop just in front of a car, that also just managed to come to a stop. I can't imagine what would have happened to my body had I not been well padded with a durable material like leather! Soon after that, I counted my blessings and gave up riding for good.
I still ride but not that much. Have a Honda shaft drive 750 Shadow. Definitely the most dangerous vehicle I have including airplane. No matter how careful you are motorcycle riding is dangerous but I have been lucky so far.
Old Jul 25th 2021, 3:18 am
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

That’s what I thought, but people around here drive the modern ones with all 4 doors off, no roof and young children in the back, and on the highway as well, which has a speed limit up to 65mph.. so they are likely going 70-80..

That said I see kids in the back of the big SUV’s in the mornings who are not belted in (climbing around) and the parent driving has a coffee in 1 hand and and appears to be talking on the phone in the other hand as well while driving, so the issue is probably the parent and not the vehicle..
Old Sep 18th 2021, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Since we were talking about jeeps and such upthread, I thought I'd share this picture of a vehicle I saw at my local trailhead this week in AZ. Most people show up in boring old cars/SUVs but this lady was different! The driver wore what looked like a 'hiking bikini' and ran all the way up the trail (1,200 ft of elevation gain, 100F temperature!) (most of us struggle to hike it in that heat - she was obviously a tough one!).

Old Sep 18th 2021, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

I got my jeep totally done. It turned out mechanically to be better than I expected. Engine burns no oil and transmission is very smooth. It had been sitting in open field for over 10 years.

Old Sep 18th 2021, 11:55 pm
tht

I got my jeep totally done. It turned out mechanically to be better than I expected. Engine burns no oil and transmission is very smooth. It had been sitting in open field for over 10 years.

looks amazing, been watching a few on Facebook market place, figure that from now through the winter is the best time to buy one at a reasonable price, I have a spare garage for it at the lake. Seen a few that are done.. but none as nice as yours.. not even sure what a reasonable price is ?

Old Sep 19th 2021, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mine being built from a two wheel drive automatic transmission mail jeep is a unusual vehicle and not really a true jeep. The older jeeps are in very high demand for guys into off road driving and prices are very high. The newer jeeps are becoming more like soccer mom SUV’s than the older CJ5’s and even those into early 2000’s. Jeeps also rust out easily especially in your area with the heavily salted roads. If you find one to buy look closely at frame and body for rust. My donor mail jeep was a East coast car badly rusted but I got a second non rusted frame with it and transferred the drive train to the new frame after having everything sand blasted. You can see second frame on top of jeep. After sand blasting I painted with spray can rust oleum paint.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 1:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

During WW2 in the US and Canada any tractors that weren't serviceable or repairable were scrapped for the metal, and when the war was over there was a shortage of tractors (and passenger cars, since production of cars was diverted to military only). Jeeps, however, were on the market as army surplus and very cheap, and they were capable of pulling a small plow so a lot of army jeeps found their way into the fields. I think the same fate may have befallen a lot of wartime Dodge Power Wagons which also being 4WD and bigger could pull more.

Last edited by caretaker; Sep 19th 2021 at 1:30 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2021, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

This will be on it's way over to me in a few weeks:

My dad bought it pre Brexit when he intended to retire in France. But that, plus a change in circumstances mean he has passed it onto me.
Old Oct 15th 2021, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
During WW2 in the US and Canada any tractors that weren't serviceable or repairable were scrapped for the metal, and when the war was over there was a shortage of tractors (and passenger cars, since production of cars was diverted to military only). Jeeps, however, were on the market as army surplus and very cheap, and they were capable of pulling a small plow so a lot of army jeeps found their way into the fields. I think the same fate may have befallen a lot of wartime Dodge Power Wagons which also being 4WD and bigger could pull more.

In 1947 Land Rover developed the center steer prototype for agricultural use. In 1948 the first Series model was introduced. There are lots of opinions and theories regarding what happened to the prototype.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.