Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Apr 27th 2017, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A small SUV with a manual transmission - specifically, a Honda HRV.* She found it noisy and despite, or perhaps because of, its overworked 1.8l engine, it isn't even that economical.
Thanks. .... It's a pity I won't get to drive it very often.

* Apart from a Wrangler, I know of only one other SUV sold in the US with a manual transmission, a Mazda, and I not 100% sure if even that is available as a 2017 model. In any case we didn't "need" a multipurpose SUV.
The missus is talking about the HRV, for the very reason it is just about the only thing with a manual box. The Mazda whatever it is doesn't come with a manual anymore. She's checked. I assume the Forester still does. Her only option might be to get a new one of those.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

So for the first time in 14 years, we have a new car!

We discussed back and forth what we wanted, and what we needed, then Mrs P took a test drive .... to confirm (my word, not hers ) what she thought she wanted, wasn't actually that great.

Then we argued some, last weekend, about where "wants", "needs", and budget overlapped (they didn't ), and prejudices against certain specific factors, such as why a car needed four doors when it would rarely carry more than two people!

And so we ended up with a brand new 2016 Honda Accord .... coupé, with, of course, three pedals.

Among other things, this means that in a few weeks, when our old Accord has had some overdue maintenance issues taken care of, I can park my truck and get back to driving the old Accord that I put most of the first 220,000 miles on. .... Which will save us about $100/mth in gas.
Did you have any problem finding the manual at a dealer ? I would have thought they would prefer not carrying manuals in stock nowadays.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Did you have any problem finding the manual at a dealer ? ....
Not once switched our attention to coupés. Even so we only found a handful with manual transmissions within 200 miles, and nearly ended up going back to the dealer in Virginia where we bought the Accord we already have. That said, until we found a deal too good to pass up we were preparing to go the "special order" route for a Sport SE.
.... I would have thought they would prefer not carrying manuals in stock nowadays.
That may be increasingly true, given that this one had been in dealer inventory for 360+ days!

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 27th 2017 at 10:57 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:44 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

So for the first time in 14 years, we have a new car!

We discussed back and forth what we wanted, and what we needed, then Mrs P took a test drive .... to confirm (my word, not hers ) what she thought she wanted, wasn't actually that great.

Then we argued some, last weekend, about where "wants", "needs", and budget overlapped (they didn't ), and prejudices against certain specific factors, such as why a car needed four doors when it would rarely carry more than two people!

And so we ended up with a brand new 2016 Honda Accord .... coupé, with, of course, three pedals.

Among other things, this means that in a few weeks, when our old Accord has had some overdue maintenance issues taken care of, I can park my truck and get back to driving the old Accord that I put most of the first 220,000 miles on. .... Which will save us about $100/mth in gas.
Congrats, on the new car and on it having the correct number of pedals.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

ch2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Slight thread hijack, but on a related note. We'll be looking for a car over the coming weeks/months. I love driving and I love feeling like am driving rather than just steering. Hence, my strong preference for a manual gearbox. I also think that here in the US it is the ultimate theft deterrence

One thing I'm unsure about though, given how scarce they are, how does it impact resale value when it comes time to upgrade? Part of me thinks it might impact negatively because no one wants them?

Also, what happens if the parking valet guy can't drive stick? I'd be weeping on the inside if I saw him ride the clutch as the nice shiny new car sleeks away to the mysterious parking lot we members of the public are not allowed to see.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 3:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ch2016
Slight thread hijack, but on a related note. We'll be looking for a car over the coming weeks/months. I love driving and I love feeling like am driving rather than just steering. Hence, my strong preference for a manual gearbox. I also think that here in the US it is the ultimate theft deterrence

One thing I'm unsure about though, given how scarce they are, how does it impact resale value when it comes time to upgrade? Part of me thinks it might impact negatively because no one wants them?

Also, what happens if the parking valet guy can't drive stick? I'd be weeping on the inside if I saw him ride the clutch as the nice shiny new car sleeks away to the mysterious parking lot we members of the public are not allowed to see.
A manual transmission may hit the resale value of some vehicles, especially if you're trading it, but there are some people still who will seek out a manual transmission.

I have never used valet parking, and never would, even if I was driving an automatic. IMO valet parking is the ultimate in to§§pot snobbery.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 3:15 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Never been an issue for me. Besides, people do want them. You are proof.

Also, what happens if the parking valet guy can't drive stick?
I'm not letting other people drive my car so that doesn't happen.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the car. For example we have a GTI and a Corvette. Neither will suffer much on resale due to being manuals.

Re: Valet. Simply don't use them.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 3:22 am

.... I have never used valet parking, and never would, even if I was driving an automatic. ...
Originally Posted by Nutek
.... I'm not letting other people drive my car so that doesn't happen.
Originally Posted by rbackhouse
.... Re: Valet. Simply don't use them.
Well that's three for three so far.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

ch2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I guess I haven't been worried because the current car is not in great shape. There have been some hotels that don't have any alternative parking other than valet, so I'll have to plan further ahead in those cases.

Glad I have 3 potential resale targets too.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 3:43 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to your car, you should get what you want without worrying too much about resale value. That being said, I tend to buy cheaper cars and run them until they take a shit on me that doesn't warrant forking out the money to fix and then trade them in so don't take what I say with any authority

If you want a manual, get one. If you don't (or don't care like me), then get automatic. Simples.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I did once see a stick shift with only 2 pedals in the UK, but cant remember what car that was. It had an automatic clutch. Never seen anything like that here.

Below are the US instructions for driving a stick shift, clutch only needed occasionally.

http://www.wikihow.com/Drive-a-Manua...ing-the-Clutch

Wouldn't you much rather have one of these?

Last edited by mrken30; Apr 28th 2017 at 4:01 am.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 3:59 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I did once see a stick shift with only 2 pedals in the UK, but cant remember what car that was. It had an automatic clutch. Never seen anything like that here.
Was it a Saab? I have some vague recollection of seeing an auto-clutch Saab on (Tiff Nedell era) Top Gear way back when.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 4:00 am
I have a comma problem

Below are the US instructions for driving a stick shift, clutch only needed occasionally.

How to Drive a Manual Transmission Vehicle Without Using the Clutch
Aye, maybe if your name is Alain or Ayrton ...
Old Apr 28th 2017, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

First generation Mercedes A class. My parents had one for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.