Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Oct 14th 2020, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by zzrmark
For a car with a larger engine, it is barely working at speeds little over tickover, one of the reasons I'd trust a higher mileage US car when compared to a UK one with an 1100cc engine that has to work it'd nuts off to get up speed and maintain it.
I'd be more inclined to put my trust in slowing down using engine braking rather than at-wheel braking, you never heard a laden dump truck going down a steep hill? You can bet he's not relying on half a dozen or so tiny pads to slow him down!!! To be fair, the racket a dump truck makes slowing down is because of the exhaust brake, which a tiddler car won't have, but he will be using engine overrun to slow him down.

Manual transmissions are so much fun to drive, unless you happen to be stuck in a two hour commute and are shifting and riding the clutch non-stop...

If you want to put a 'spark' of adrenaline in your life you need to get on a two stroke 250cc motorcycle that can rev out at well over 17k...and then think about where that tiny missile goes if it lets go of the conrod!!!
Ha! That brings back memories! When I lived in London (late 70s/early 80s), I briefly owned a two-stroke Suzuki GT380, with 3 cylinders!

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mo...gt380%2075.htm

It was a crazy bike! I have no idea what it's max RPM was ... Actually, reading the page above, it was pretty modest and the bike overall wasn't exactly lightning fast ... but fast enough!
Old Oct 14th 2020, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

In 2017 we bought another Accord, also a manual, and while going through the tedious paperwork of the purchase we were offered several addtional warranties, including one that covered the clutch, which the salesman told us, with a straight face, was a good idea because "clutches are consumable and don't last more than 60,000 miles." I told him that our other Accord, sitting on our driveway, still had its original clutch and had done 320,000 miles. The salesman didn't really have an answer for that, and we moved on with the paperwork. FWIW the new Accord has now done over 80,000 miles, and needless to say, hasn't had its clutch replaced.
Always amazing how the 'backroom' guys are willing to undermine their own product in the hope of a warranty sale! When being offered any form of extended warranty, or 'paint protection', or whatever, I feign shock and ask '... are you telling me this car isn't reliable? I've obviously made a mistake ... I need to cancel the purchase ...' at which point they totally embarrass themselves with some stupid excuse.
Mrs P owned and drove (only) a manual long before she met me.
You were obviously made for each other!
Old Oct 14th 2020, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Ha! That brings back memories! When I lived in London (late 70s/early 80s), I briefly owned a two-stroke Suzuki GT380, with 3 cylinders!

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mo...gt380%2075.htm

It was a crazy bike! I have no idea what it's max RPM was ... Actually, reading the page above, it was pretty modest and the bike overall wasn't exactly lightning fast ... but fast enough!
Lol, I was thinking of the 380's baby sister, my old GT185, when I wrote about high revving two strokes. It was the most skittish machine I've ever ridden, no doubt quite tame when fitted with today's hi-tech tyres but in the days before the Bridgestone Battlax emerged tyres were distinctly iffy and it handled like a bag of poo.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I didn't own a car for many of my 30 motoring years in the UK, I was that stereotypical grungy grebo that many of the US cruiser types try to mimic with their pre-faded leathers and bovver boots, selling the amassed collection paid for all my pre-visa 3 month trips to the US, the two months prior to that 'playing' en Espana and the five months dossing around when I moved over. I haven't had a bike since moving to the US, although getting my licence endorsement was one of the first things I did, that five years is the longest I've been without a bike in my adult life and with the way the years scoot by it won't be long before it exceeds my pre-engine childhood years. Had I gotten a bike pre-naturalisation I would probably have either died on Florida's abysmal roads or picked up a rash of court convictions or both! I sympathise with your hubby, it's not easy making the full transition to a 'cage', on the plus side it does mean I haven't slid down the tarmac for over seven years now...
I actually think we have been safer on the roads here in Texas. We take road trips out towards west Texas where the roads are long, straight and wide and traffic is sparse.

If the trike doesn't sell soon we will probably take it on another trip seeing as the weather thinks it is still summer !
Old Oct 16th 2020, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I have had many bikes and was not going to buy another after selling my Sportster. I changed my mind when I found this Honda 750 Shadow with shaft drive and fuel injection. A twenty something girl bought it to ride with boyfriend and after two years put 51 miles on it. Bought less than 10 miles from home for $4000 which is about 1/2 cost of new. Best bike I have ever owned.
Old Oct 16th 2020, 1:52 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I have had many bikes and was not going to buy another after selling my Sportster. I changed my mind when I found this Honda 750 Shadow with shaft drive and fuel injection. A twenty something girl bought it to ride with boyfriend and after two years put 51 miles on it. Bought less than 10 miles from home for $4000 which is about 1/2 cost of new. Best bike I have ever owned.
That is a steal! Great looking bike, too.

I bought myself a 50cc Honda Ruckus purely for getting down to the beach and back (and hell, it's a lot of fun pootling around town on one of those), but promised myself I would never get on a proper motorbike. I did a weekend-long motorbike safety course last year and they give you a 250cc cruiser to learn on. I completely understand why people get in to bikes now! There was a very strong temptation after the course to upgrade to a nice cafe racer and spend my weekends going up and down the coast, but the missus was very much not onboard with that idea.
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Saw this in my local grocery store parking lot yesterday! Those shopping carts make me nervous and it's not even my car!

Old Nov 3rd 2020, 10:27 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Saw this in my local grocery store parking lot yesterday! Those shopping carts make me nervous and it's not even my car!

That's pretty.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 12:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I discovered just the other day that Porsche speedsters are quite popular as replicas/ kits. So while yes, I agree it is pretty, it might not actually be that valuable.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 12:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I discovered just the other day that Porsche speedsters are quite popular as replicas/ kits. So while yes, I agree it is pretty, it might not actually be that valuable[/].

That looks pretty real, I recollect such kits decades ago.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thought some of you may find these interesting. It’s an interview with Chris Harris. He doesn’t do too many. I’m a big fan of his. I think he’s breathed some much needed fresh air into Top Gear, it’s refreshing to see someone on there that actually knows his stuff about cars. Also a bit sad to hear all the grief he got when he took over at TG. I still see the same old shite posted in the comments whenever Too Gear post anything. Bring back Clarkson etc etc whine whine whine.

Old Nov 4th 2020, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I discovered just the other day that Porsche speedsters are quite popular as replicas/ kits. So while yes, I agree it is pretty, it might not actually be that valuable.
Are kits / replicas allowed to be 'original' in terms of design, specifically from a safety perspective? That is - can a replica/kit get away with not being up to today's standards? If not, then I don't see that car as being a kit / replica due to no roll-bar, no headrest, no padded dash, no padded steering wheel, etc. I LOVE the austerity of the cabin! (visually; it's probably absolutely shit to actually sit in!)
Old Nov 4th 2020, 6:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Are kits / replicas allowed to be 'original' in terms of design, specifically from a safety perspective? That is - can a replica/kit get away with not being up to today's standards? If not, then I don't see that car as being a kit / replica due to no roll-bar, no headrest, no padded dash, no padded steering wheel, etc. I LOVE the austerity of the cabin! (visually; it's probably absolutely shit to actually sit in!)
I am not well versed on rules in the US, but the whole point of a "kit car" is that it is often, legally speaking, structured as an extensive modification of an existing vehicle, rather than a new vehicle assembled from parts, so the kit aquires the age of the donor vehicle. And the underpinnings of the Porsche 356 Speedster is most commonly a VW Beetle, which conveniently means that the easiest engine to use is the Beetle's aircooled flat four, which was similar to the one used in the original 356 Speedster, which predates the design of the 356 Speedster, and was actually designed to go in the Beetle.

I heard very recently of an alternative engine which can be used, and slots in the engine bay very neatly, is a Subaru engine, which has about twice the power, and is also a flat four, albeit a water-cooled one.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 6:51 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I heard very recently of an alternative engine which can be used, and slots in the engine bay very neatly, is a Subaru engine, which has about twice the power, and is also a flat four, albeit a water-cooled one.
That's what Tyler Hoovie is doing to his on Hoovie's Garage. I think he got his from BECK , very unimpressive website but a nice car all the same.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
That's what Tyler Hoovie is doing to his on Hoovie's Garage. .....
That would be where I "heard very recently!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.