Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How happy are you living in AMERICA?

Wikiposts

How happy are you living in AMERICA?

Old May 27th 2016, 1:57 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How happy are you living in AMERICA?

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
you've obviously never lived in France. Never ever ever ever ask a frenchperson about their health!! Or about their amazing social security system and world class healthcare. Or about the weather, or well anything really. Even food can be a touchy subject which apparently is nowhere near as good as it used to be........
There's a saturday french school here for the french speaking kids, the parents go to fairly extensive trouble to get decent baguettes, pains au chocolat et croissants to the kids. Never saw the Brits doing that in France.

I would have thought the stereotype of British is "stiff upper lip" rather than moaning. My experience of Brits abroad is of people who are very good at just "getting on with it".
Mrs Nutek and I didn't get where we are today without just getting on with it.

/CJ
Old May 27th 2016, 2:05 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep, you're right. After all, if Brits liked foreign stuff then they'd have embraced curry and other foods and obviously that hasn't happened has it? Oh, wait...........

I don't know how long it's been since you've lived in the UK, but I'm guessing quite a while if you think that Brits still don't like foreign stuff. I'd suggest that those that visit the godawful towns on the Spanish south coast aren't your typical Brits. I've got 3 tapas bars within 15 minutes of me which are super popular, and I'm in rural Berkshire - the ham, egg and chips brigade obviously wouldn't go near them with a bargepole, but the majority of Brits would disagree with your statement that they find anything 'not British' undesirable I'm sure.
Excellent post. I also note that Brits don't seem to be hanging around the old island too much during those much-vaunted five weeks of vacation -- whether they're the kind that head for Blackpool-on-the-Med or go off the tourist trail. And I recall that a few years ago my then five-year-old great-nephew told me how thrilled he was that they were going to the Thai restaurant for dinner, because he could have "chicken lollipops" (satay!). The family have since been to Thailand for the real thing.
Old May 27th 2016, 2:53 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep, you're right. After all, if Brits liked foreign stuff then they'd have embraced curry and other foods and obviously that hasn't happened has it? Oh, wait...........

I don't know how long it's been since you've lived in the UK, but I'm guessing quite a while if you think that Brits still don't like foreign stuff. I'd suggest that those that visit the godawful towns on the Spanish south coast aren't your typical Brits. I've got 3 tapas bars within 15 minutes of me which are super popular, and I'm in rural Berkshire - the ham, egg and chips brigade obviously wouldn't go near them with a bargepole, but the majority of Brits would disagree with your statement that they find anything 'not British' undesirable I'm sure.
You ought to cine and hang out here for a while. If it isn't the crap food in the supermarkets, you can't find a decent beer, wine or gin like at Morrison's, and the British shop is 20km away (although all 3 are abundant, of excellent quality, and half the price of england, just mostly Spanish brands).

The Spanish are crap drivers. One acquaintance summed it up by saying the only natural way to drive is on the left, so that explains it.

You go into a shop, and they're too lazy to bother helping you, and they don't even have the decency to learn or speak proper English. And their crap 3rd-world siesta, stupidest thing ever... And those stupid German electrical sockets. Nothing fits them! Couldn't they just use "normal" ones?

On TripAdvisor, one of the most popular questions is where the nearest fish & chips shop is, and is this hotel for British, or is it full of "foreigners", and do they serve full English breakfasts? What is the price of british brand fags? My husband is picky, so we don't want a "foreign" place on our hols abroad.

Yet other nationalitiues seem to readily accept that they are abroad, and exhibit much more enthusiasm for experiencng the local culture rather than demanding the familiar. The Germans and scandinavians especially. And those that live here almost universally learn Spanish and happily adopt the local cuisines and custom. They don't have to drive 20km and spend 50% more at the "German shop".

Sure, curry is the British national dish. Everybody loves Italian. Tapas (well, not the authentic type) have become popular everywhere

Anyway, please forgive me for upsetting you with examples of how the well known stereotypes incubate. It's just my experience. But it shows in other ways too. The brexit arguments are full of nationalistic, anti-foreign sentiments. But that's just part of being British. (?)
Old May 27th 2016, 2:59 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
You ought to cine and hang out here for a while. If it isn't the crap food in the supermarkets, you can't find a decent beer, wine or gin like at Morrison's, and the British shop is 20km away (although all 3 are abundant, of excellent quality, and half the price of england, just mostly Spanish brands).

The Spanish are crap drivers. One acquaintance summed it up by saying the only natural way to drive is on the left, so that explains it.

You go into a shop, and they're too lazy to bother helping you, and they don't even have the decency to learn or speak proper English. And their crap 3rd-world siesta, stupidest thing ever... And those stupid German electrical sockets. Nothing fits them! Couldn't they just use "normal" ones?

On TripAdvisor, one of the most popular questions is where the nearest fish & chips shop is, and is this hotel for British, or is it full of "foreigners", and do they serve full English breakfasts? What is the price of british brand fags? My husband is picky, so we don't want a "foreign" place on our hols abroad.

Yet other nationalitiues seem to readily accept that they are abroad, and exhibit much more enthusiasm for experiencng the local culture rather than demanding the familiar. The Germans and scandinavians especially. And those that live here almost universally learn Spanish and happily adopt the local cuisines and custom. They don't have to drive 20km and spend 50% more at the "German shop".

Sure, curry is the British national dish. Everybody loves Italian. Tapas (well, not the authentic type) have become popular everywhere

Anyway, please forgive me for upsetting you with examples of how the well known stereotypes incubate. It's just my experience. But it shows in other ways too. The brexit arguments are full of nationalistic, anti-foreign sentiments. But that's just part of being British. (?)
You come across as a very angry person. Maybe it's all that foreign food.
Old May 27th 2016, 4:01 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

The impression I get from French people, the older ones that is, that anything edible doesn't exist outside France
Old May 27th 2016, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by dc koop
anything edible doesn't exist outside France
That's not true. Tesco had some great burgers for a while there.
Old May 27th 2016, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the terrible food in Little Chef.

it made me realize how good home cooked food is.

If you think American food is bad, try the UK.
Old May 27th 2016, 4:20 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Ah oui mais le Croque M'Sieu ! (smacks lips in culinary ecstasy) ca c'est vraiment formidable !

'Amburgers Americain ? Pouf !
Old May 27th 2016, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Make them french by adding some blue cheese
Old May 27th 2016, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by mrken30
Make them french by adding some blue cheese
Or pony.
Old May 27th 2016, 5:10 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

You come across as a very angry person. Maybe it's all that foreign food.
Well, I have been accused of being a "foreigner" before. I do speak several other languages, and that alone makes me suspect.

My apologies though, I'm really quite happy. So are the majority those around me. Now, if I could only find a way to get British expats around here to learn how to be happy, I'd probably be rich too.

But I'm often left with the feeling that Brits just can't be happy unless they have something to moan about. So perhaps I'm actually providing you a "happy service" by posting something to moan about (?).
Old May 27th 2016, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by amideislas
Well, I have been accused of being a "foreigner" before. I do speak several other languages, and that alone makes me suspect.

My apologies though, I'm really quite happy. So are the majority those around me. Now, if I could only find a way to get British expats around here to learn how to be happy, I'd probably be rich too.

But I'm often left with the feeling that Brits just can't be happy unless they have something to moan about. So perhaps I'm actually providing you a "happy service" by posting something to moan about (?).

Could be. Mostly I think it helps people that miss home to have a good moan about stuff.
Old May 27th 2016, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A lot of Brits aren't happy unless they are moaning. The culture is more to moan about stuff than deal with the situation.

Americans will complain to the server about bad food. Brits will eat it, and complain about it to their buddies after leaving the restaurant.

Last edited by mrken30; May 27th 2016 at 5:33 am.
Old May 27th 2016, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

In n Out, double double for lunch, yummy!
Old May 27th 2016, 6:24 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
In n Out, double double for lunch, yummy!
Sounds like something Alex from A Clockwork Orange would say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.