Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How happy are you living in AMERICA?

How happy are you living in AMERICA?

Old May 31st 2016, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How happy are you living in AMERICA?

Originally Posted by themadpooper
Yeah, the Whole Foods you get there are very small, not really the same as the massive ones you get here. One opening near me in Chicago is gonna be 3 floors big, Trader Joes is similar, you don't get those over there which is a pity. Next time you come to the States, check these spots out. The organic food scene here is substantially bigger than that of the UK, I can assure you of that

Can you get Monterrey jack over there? Very nice Mexican cheese you get everywhere here

Where does the UK get her oranges and grapefruit from, btw? Florida and California isn't it? Same with grapes, avocado and pretty much every other fruit. Enjoy

And bread. I tend to buy rye - lovely Jewish bread. No more sugar in that than a loaf of Hovis but unlike Hovis, you can't wildly get rye in the UK. Shame

As I said, you just don't get the choice there, so many things the UK just don't do - good Mexican food, numerous supermarket items, quality local beer among them. Just a fact of life I'm afraid, the US is just so much bigger, so many climates here, so many different cultures. Silly to deny this or turn it into a competition

Actually the Whole Foods I am talking about is huge and used to be Barkers, the department store in Kensington High St. You were the one turning it into a 'competition' by slagging off the UK's foods. Yeah you can get rye bread in loads of supermarkets here. The supermarkets sell wine too, which is very rare in the UK, have to make a special trip to a liquor store there. And not all our oranges and lemons come from the US actually, many come from Spain or elsewhere, but yeah thanks for that, I'm not actually stupid enough to believe we grow citrus fruits in the UK.
Old May 31st 2016, 10:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Actually the Whole Foods I am talking about is huge and used to be Barkers, the department store in Kensington High St. You were the one turning it into a 'competition' by slagging off the UK's foods. Yeah you can get rye bread in loads of supermarkets here. The supermarkets sell wine too, which is very rare in the UK, have to make a special trip to a liquor store there. And not all our oranges and lemons come from the US actually, many come from Spain or elsewhere, but yeah thanks for that, I'm not actually stupid enough to believe we grow citrus fruits in the UK.
Did you mean US?
Old May 31st 2016, 10:40 am
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

Most US supermarkets have many isles devoted to wine and beer, liquor stores are the US version of off licenses. Not sure where you're getting your information from about the US but I'd ask for a refund

I lived in London, I know where you're talking about. That Whole Foods is a food court, the others in London are tiny in comparison and there's only like 2 or 3 in the entire country (all in London). You don't get rye in loads of supermarkets there, you just don't. Just like you don't get rows of different sourdough and numerous other breads. I hate to repeat myself but the choice just isn't there in the UK, it's a tiny country versus the US so comparisons are silly
Old May 31st 2016, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Did you mean US?

Sorry yes, meant US!
Old May 31st 2016, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Just like you don't get rows of different sourdough and numerous other breads. I hate to repeat myself but the choice just isn't there in the UK, it's a tiny country versus the US so comparisons are silly
It's not real choice for the bread though, is it? Sure, there are lots of different brands/ shapes/ variants of whether it's oat flakes or poppy seeds stuck on top, but it's still all bland textureless pap. My small village bakery in Switzerland serving a population of a couple of thousand people had more actual variety of bread than ANY US supermarket I've been in, including Whole Foods.

Good craft beer options here though (even if some of them are fake breweries owned by corporations).
Old May 31st 2016, 12:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Most US supermarkets have many isles devoted to wine and beer, liquor stores are the US version of off licenses. Not sure where you're getting your information from about the US but I'd ask for a refund

I lived in London, I know where you're talking about. That Whole Foods is a food court, the others in London are tiny in comparison and there's only like 2 or 3 in the entire country (all in London). You don't get rye in loads of supermarkets there, you just don't. Just like you don't get rows of different sourdough and numerous other breads. I hate to repeat myself but the choice just isn't there in the UK, it's a tiny country versus the US so comparisons are silly
When you've lived in the USA a bit longer, you will discover that each state has completely different licensing laws. In Illinois, yes, they sell wine & beer in supermarkets, just like in the UK. In New York, there's no wine in any supermarket. Wine and spirits can only be sold in a liquor store, which is not permitted to sell beer. In MA, liquor stores sell beer, wine and spirits, but only some supermarkets have a licence to sell wine. In other states, entire towns and counties are completely dry. In NH, selling wine and spirits is a government monopoly - you have to go to the state liquor store.

So I'm not sure where you're getting your information from about the U.S.
Old May 31st 2016, 1:04 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

So, I'm assuming everyone turns their noses up at chains like IHOP or Wendy's? Perkins or Arby's?
Not me. Well, I've never been to Perkins, but I doubt I'd have an issue with there either. Most of the time for takeout though, we tend to go to the (relatively) local Mexican place, pizza place, that kind of thing. I go to Arby's for lunch quite a bit, though.

I detest food snobbery and I wouldn't be caught dead in a Whole Paycheck, either.

As far as the alcohol goes, the Jewel-Osco in my town has Strongbow. That's good enough for me.
Old May 31st 2016, 2:18 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

So, I'm assuming everyone turns their noses up at chains like IHOP or Wendy's? Perkins or Arby's? Would love to know where you can get similar menus for similar prices in the UK without having to line up for ages just to get a table the size of a postage stamp and invariably treated shoddily by staff who wouldn't know what good customer service was if it slapped them in the face. The fact is the UK is just so small so the chains are limited, prices expensive and the food as average as the menus are limited. The current UK food scene can be summed up by pretentious gastropubs where food is served on chopping boards, overpriced gourmet burger restaurants or spots trying to be American (usually bbq). That Wetherspoons is probably the best thing about the UK food scene at the minute speaks volume about the standard of food over there - still as crap as ever. As for the supermarkets, 4/5 chains nationwide (if you live in a provincial town you'll be lucky to have half of them), full of the same crap and shitty 2 for 1 offers. Everyone raves about M&S - just an upmarket Sainsbury's for snobs. The best grocery shop in the UK is Whole Foods (American organic chain) but you only get those in a few spots in London
Well that's an obvious exaggeration , but I get your point.

From my view, I find it difficult to make very divergent comparisons between the US and UK, because there are more similarities than differences. Yes, prices are surely higher in the UK, and service is a bit different. The choices in the US are more varied, but that's understandable.

But if you want to make divergent comparisons in variety, price, and service, then go into Europe, or farther east... Now you can make non-trival comparisons.

I have to admit though, service seems to be a newfound revelation here in Spain in the past 5 years. It used to be nonexistent. But now it's common to be well and punctually served.. with a smile. I can't say exactly why, but I suspect it may have something to do with new blood in hospitality management, and the fact that you can now lose your job for poor performance without receiving a five digit payoff.. Or any at all.
Old May 31st 2016, 3:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So, I'm assuming everyone turns their noses up at chains like IHOP or Wendy's? Perkins or Arby's? Would love to know where you can get similar menus for similar prices in the UK without having to line up for ages just to get a table the size of a postage stamp and invariably treated shoddily by staff who wouldn't know what good customer service was if it slapped them in the face. The fact is the UK is just so small so the chains are limited, prices expensive and the food as average as the menus are limited. The current UK food scene can be summed up by pretentious gastropubs where food is served on chopping boards, overpriced gourmet burger restaurants or spots trying to be American (usually bbq). That Wetherspoons is probably the best thing about the UK food scene at the minute speaks volume about the standard of food over there - still as crap as ever. As for the supermarkets, 4/5 chains nationwide (if you live in a provincial town you'll be lucky to have half of them), full of the same crap and shitty 2 for 1 offers. Everyone raves about M&S - just an upmarket Sainsbury's for snobs. The best grocery shop in the UK is Whole Foods (American organic chain) but you only get those in a few spots in London
You do realise with your wondering generalisations, that you could equally be describing parts of the US, if you got out a bit.
Old May 31st 2016, 3:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the Whole Foods you get there are very small, not really the same as the massive ones you get here. One opening near me in Chicago is gonna be 3 floors big, Trader Joes is similar, you don't get those over there which is a pity. Next time you come to the States, check these spots out. The organic food scene here is substantially bigger than that of the UK, I can assure you of that
You don't get that over where I am either.

As for the fruit...meh. The stuff from Florida and California, usually rotten and pretty much always tasteless by the time they've made to to the grocery store over here.

It was mostly from Spain, Italy and South Africa when I lived in the UK.
Old May 31st 2016, 3:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

You can't generalise...there are so many states that don't allow grocery stores to sell beer, never mind wine.

So I don't know where you get your information from about the US either.
Old May 31st 2016, 3:15 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You do realise with your wondering generalisations, that you could equally be describing parts of the US, if you got out a bit.
I would suggest that if the mods (errr, that'll be you Bob) won't ban this guy that we all refuse to comment on or about his posts. That we don't correct the information contained in the posts. Maybe when the quality of information deteriorates enough then he will be banned.
Old May 31st 2016, 3:20 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Wendys sounds just fine to me. Unidentified Tasty Meat Squares with cheese. Dunno why anyone wouldn't like that. Good fries too. And a large Frosty please!
Old May 31st 2016, 3:22 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I would suggest that if the mods (errr, that'll be you Bob) won't ban this guy that we all refuse to comment on or about his posts. That we don't correct the information contained in the posts. Maybe when the quality of information deteriorates enough then he will be banned.
Why do you even read them? It's all bollocks anyhow.
Old May 31st 2016, 3:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
What a load of coddswallop. I work right near a Wholefoods and I've never been there. I find the supermarkets here fine. DH likes them too and he grew up with American ones. At least our bread isn't sugared, apples aren't waxed and cheese is actually tasty. And the UK caters much better for veggies than every other country I've ever been to with most places clearly marking veggie options with a V next to the item on the menu. I gave Wetherspoons as an example, not as the only place. And i'm not just speaking about London, my mum lives in Lincolnshire and she can find plenty of places to go out for a meal at a good price.
I found the fruits and veggies in Europe, France, Belguim, and Germany to be far superior to ours here in the US.

Last edited by Rete; May 31st 2016 at 3:39 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.