Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How happy are you living in AMERICA?

How happy are you living in AMERICA?

Old May 26th 2016, 3:49 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How happy are you living in AMERICA?

Originally Posted by dc koop
As an Englishman I couldn't live anywhere else but close enough to the sea. It's in our blood. Having mountains nearby is a bonus
We have lots of lakes. It's not the same thing, but it gets you close. No mountains though in bloody Flatlandia.
Old May 26th 2016, 4:00 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
We have lots of lakes. It's not the same thing, but it gets you close. No mountains though in bloody Flatlandia.
Lakes are a good substitute. When I lived in Montreal there were regular weekend trips across the border to Lake Champlain and Lake George, both very large lakes and Lake Champlain even has a beach.

My buddy, also English, who lives in Dallas never happy until we take him on a drive up through the San Gabriels but that's after he's been taken for a day trip to Redondo or Santa Monica beach
Old May 26th 2016, 4:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Lakes are a good substitute. When I lived in Montreal there were regular weekend trips across the border to Lake Champlain and Lake George, both very large lakes and Lake Champlain even has a beach.

My buddy, also English, who lives in Dallas never happy until we take him on a drive up through the San Gabriels but that's after he's been taken for a day trip to Redondo or Santa Monica beach
The lakes are nice. It does seem that proximity to water is more important than the salinity. Though I will admit the idea of living somewhere like New Mexico fascinates me.

I do miss the mountains though, or at least some kind of noticeable topography, which is probably why I enjoy visiting Wisconsin when we go there. When I went to California, the Sierras kicked my arse. I'd flown over the Rockies a few times, but I'd never seen proper big mountains up close before. I was blown away.
Old May 26th 2016, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

If we're taking the OP seriously, it's not bad though, even if I live in one of the less exciting parts. Knowing I can drive or fly to a lot of very nice places within a day near enough any time I want is a bonus, too.
I used to work in Slough, of "Come friendly bombs..." and The Office fame. The best thing I could say about it was that it was "easy to get out of". I was very pleased when I moved to a new company, though that was for other reasons too.
Old May 26th 2016, 4:28 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Owen778
I used to work in Slough, of "Come friendly bombs..." and The Office fame. The best thing I could say about it was that it was "easy to get out of". I was very pleased when I moved to a new company, though that was for other reasons too.
If you had a David Brent style boss, that would make it even better ...
Old May 26th 2016, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Oh god, I hate that song . They played it at my oath ceremony and I almost cringed into my own arsehole.

If we're taking the OP seriously, it's not bad though, even if I live in one of the less exciting parts. Knowing I can drive or fly to a lot of very nice places within a day near enough any time I want is a bonus, too.

The 'by the sea' part should give away that he doesn't live there either
Thank you Sultan I have been searching for a visual of how the song makes me feel at first. Sadly, it then always seems to grow on me, love the descriptions.

Yes 'Nebraska by the Sea' today we have the Trump visiting us!
Old May 26th 2016, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

If you had a David Brent style boss, that would make it even better ...
I'm not sure "better" is the word I'd have used. My boss there was thoroughly mediocre at managing, and in fact most of the things he turned his hand to.
Old May 26th 2016, 5:23 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Thank you Sultan I have been searching for a visual of how the song makes me feel at first. Sadly, it then always seems to grow on me, love the descriptions.

Yes 'Nebraska by the Sea' today we have the Trump visiting us!
I'd still dislike it irrespective of how cheesy the lyrics are. Not much of a fan of country music myself.

Glad to help on the visuals though

Originally Posted by Owen778
I'm not sure "better" is the word I'd have used. My boss there was thoroughly mediocre at managing, and in fact most of the things he turned his hand to.
So he was like David Brent, then ...
Old May 26th 2016, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

The 'by the sea' part should give away that he doesn't live there either
Not really. "Nebraska by the Sea" Is an oblique reference, that can be interpreted two ways.
Old May 26th 2016, 8:48 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Not really. "Nebraska by the Sea" Is an oblique reference, that can be interpreted two ways.
It gets more confusing, I googled where Trump is visiting today and it came up with Billings, Montana. Montana is no more by the sea than Nebraska is
Old May 26th 2016, 10:50 pm
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

If you're unhappy here you're probably doing it wrong - there's something in America for everyone, countryside, city, snow, sun, even desert. There's no other country on earth quite like America, that's equally as accessible, equally as welcoming, equally as free for want of a better word. No, Canada is not like America before anyone pipes up about it, it's a shitty version of America that people move to because it's easier to emigrate there. No, Italy or Spain or Germany are not like America, not even close. No, Singapore or Australia are not like America, not even close. America
Old May 26th 2016, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The lakes are nice. It does seem that proximity to water is more important than the salinity. Though I will admit the idea of living somewhere like New Mexico fascinates me.

I do miss the mountains though, or at least some kind of noticeable topography, which is probably why I enjoy visiting Wisconsin when we go there. When I went to California, the Sierras kicked my arse. I'd flown over the Rockies a few times, but I'd never seen proper big mountains up close before. I was blown away.
I remember my first time flying over the cascades at 10,000 ft in a little cessna 150
Old May 27th 2016, 3:29 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by themadpooper
If you're unhappy here you're probably doing it wrong - there's something in America for everyone, countryside, city, snow, sun, even desert. There's no other country on earth quite like America, that's equally as accessible, equally as welcoming, equally as free for want of a better word. No, Canada is not like America before anyone pipes up about it, it's a shitty version of America that people move to because it's easier to emigrate there. No, Italy or Spain or Germany are not like America, not even close. No, Singapore or Australia are not like America, not even close. America
Meh, there's nothing special about America. There's nothing special about anywhere. It's all here by random chance and it'll all be gone in a few million years.

No sense wasting time on worrying about who's the best when there's a whole world that is the sum of its parts out there to be explored.

Also, have you actually been to Canada? Parts of it reminded me almost exactly of Wisconsin. Other parts look like the UK ****ed the US and out popped a bastard child.

Originally Posted by mrken30
I remember my first time flying over the cascades at 10,000 ft in a little cessna 150
That sounds like the way to do it.
Old May 27th 2016, 5:07 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themadpooper
Yeah well while I agree that America is scenically wonderful in places I would recommend a drive along Canada One from Vancouver to Banff through the Rockies. The Canadians also speak English quite well and are known to be welcoming even to those Americans who think that Canada is the 51st State

Last edited by dc koop; May 27th 2016 at 5:11 am.
Old May 27th 2016, 5:16 am
Banned

Wonderful view from the top of Pikes Peak, Colorado Springs. 14,000 feet above sea level On a clear day it's said one can see five States and it was the inspiration for the song "America the beautiful" which IMO could have also been the national anthem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.