Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How happy are you living in AMERICA?

How happy are you living in AMERICA?

Old May 27th 2016, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How happy are you living in AMERICA?

Every time I travel around the American west, I end up being stunned by the scenery. Geographically speaking, it's an amazing part of the world. But there's more to life than looking at scenery, so I can certainly understand why some have trouble settling here.
Old May 27th 2016, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

This subject has been done to death. Just a guess most people are happy here with reservation. They don't like the food and they don't like Americans. Just my impression as a newcomer.
I'd be interested in what made them come here in the first place.

I was offered a job and thought it would be a good experience for just a few years and then go back. Almost 50 years later I'm still here. I've thought about going back in retirement, purely for financial reasons. Moving to the right place in the UK I could sell my house here and come away with pretty good amount of cash. Plus not have the expense of health care. I haven't thought it through enough to know what tax liabilities might be, or other unforeseen expenses.
Old May 27th 2016, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
They don't like the food and they don't like Americans. Just my impression as a newcomer.
I think I am part Murcan, I love the food and I love my yank wife!

Living the dream baby living the dream lol
Old May 27th 2016, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

They don't like the food and they don't like Americans. .
Not something I identify with at all!
Old May 27th 2016, 12:42 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

They don't like the food and they don't like Americans. Just my impression as a newcomer.

Not my position * at all * .

Yes, people complain and piss about stupid shit, but that's what people do, and on a forum where people do tend to miss the familiar you are likely to see more of it.

People come here to vent a bit with other people that are likely to understand a bit more than others. Sympathetic people like me.

It's no different on other forums where immigrants gather.

Those stories are scattered all over the forum if you go poking around.
Old May 27th 2016, 12:45 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Wonderful view from the top of Pikes Peak, Colorado Springs. 14,000 feet above sea level On a clear day it's said one can see five States and it was the inspiration for the song "America the beautiful" which IMO could have also been the national anthem.
I think it should be the national anthem. It's a slightly faster song than the current one, so there's less room for 'singers' to make it sound utterly godawful at sporting events ...

They don't like the food and they don't like Americans.
That's not true for me. I like the food. I have no strong opinion either way on Americans or non-Americans alike. Most people don't register high enough on my GAF-ometer to elicit any response.
Old May 27th 2016, 12:49 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I think it should be the national anthem. It's a slightly faster song than the current one, so there's less room for 'singers' to make it sound utterly godawful at sporting events ...
Anthems should be completely banned in all forms. Load of pompous bullshit.

Most people don't register high enough on my GAF-ometer to elicit any response.
Good man.
Old May 27th 2016, 12:49 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

This subject has been done to death. Just a guess most people are happy here with reservation. They don't like the food and they don't like Americans. Just my impression as a newcomer.
Really, I don't know many Brits who truly find much desirable in anything "not British". There are a few, but far between.

Not much different here in Spain. Except of course in the British enclaves on the coast, but even then, the moaning about the lack of Britishness (or just undesirable things in general) is daily fare. As soon as you leave the expat communities, you only find two types of Brits, those who love it, and those who hate it. Mostly the latter, but they don't last long.

I've come to the conclusion that moaning is just another entitlement. It's just a part of being British. I reckon that's what incubates the stereotypes.
Old May 27th 2016, 12:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Anthems should be completely banned in all forms. Load of pompous bullshit.
Yeah, at the World Cup, they should play a selection of greatest hits from that country in question instead.

Originally Posted by Nutek
Good man.
It works for me
Old May 27th 2016, 12:57 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by amideislas
Really, I don't know many Brits who truly find much desirable in anything "not British". There are a few, but far between.
Well, you just have to look at all the British people on here who married foreigners to see that's not true ...
Old May 27th 2016, 12:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, you're right. After all, if Brits liked foreign stuff then they'd have embraced curry and other foods and obviously that hasn't happened has it? Oh, wait...........

I don't know how long it's been since you've lived in the UK, but I'm guessing quite a while if you think that Brits still don't like foreign stuff. I'd suggest that those that visit the godawful towns on the Spanish south coast aren't your typical Brits. I've got 3 tapas bars within 15 minutes of me which are super popular, and I'm in rural Berkshire - the ham, egg and chips brigade obviously wouldn't go near them with a bargepole, but the majority of Brits would disagree with your statement that they find anything 'not British' undesirable I'm sure.
Old May 27th 2016, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep, you're right. After all, if Brits liked foreign stuff then they'd have embraced curry and other foods and obviously that hasn't happened has it? Oh, wait...........

I don't know how long it's been since you've lived in the UK, but I'm guessing quite a while if you think that Brits still don't like foreign stuff. I'd suggest that those that visit the godawful towns on the Spanish south coast aren't your typical Brits. I've got 3 tapas bars within 15 minutes of me which are super popular, and I'm in rural Berkshire - the ham, egg and chips brigade obviously wouldn't go near them with a bargepole, but the majority of Brits would disagree with your statement that they find anything 'not British' undesirable I'm sure.
I want to embrace a curry!

It's not going to stop me having my fish and chips tonight though.

(We* finally found somewhere that does good ones.)

*Mrs N.
Old May 27th 2016, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It gets more confusing, I googled where Trump is visiting today and it came up with Billings, Montana. Montana is no more by the sea than Nebraska is
Apologies apparently I'm living ahead of myself! He visits nebraska by the sea this afternoon. It really is an apt description for this city
https://www.google.com/search?q=san+...79weZTPXxbM%3A

Scrub desert abounds which is very much like the great plains of Nebraska...
Old May 27th 2016, 1:41 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Apologies apparently I'm living ahead of myself! He visits nebraska by the sea this afternoon. It really is an apt description for this city
https://www.google.com/search?q=san+...79weZTPXxbM%3A

Scrub desert abounds which is very much like the great plains of Nebraska...
That does make sense when explained.
Old May 27th 2016, 1:55 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I've come to the conclusion that moaning is just another entitlement. It's just a part of being British. I reckon that's what incubates the stereotypes.
you've obviously never lived in France. Never ever ever ever ask a frenchperson about their health!! Or about their amazing social security system and world class healthcare. Or about the weather, or well anything really. Even food can be a touchy subject which apparently is nowhere near as good as it used to be........
There's a saturday french school here for the french speaking kids, the parents go to fairly extensive trouble to get decent baguettes, pains au chocolat et croissants to the kids. Never saw the Brits doing that in France.

I would have thought the stereotype of British is "stiff upper lip" rather than moaning. My experience of Brits abroad is of people who are very good at just "getting on with it".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.