Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How happy are you living in AMERICA?

Wikiposts

How happy are you living in AMERICA?

Old May 31st 2016, 5:02 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How happy are you living in AMERICA?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I wouldn't like to comment.
Have to dash - I just realised it's Tuesday night
Old May 31st 2016, 5:13 pm
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

I've learned today that bagged cheese popcorn is a thing. That's just weird. Oh and Wintersong doesn't like mashed up avocado regardless of who made it. My daughter doesn't like mashed potato even though I make the best mashed potato in the world, it's that personal choice/preference thing where no one is right and no one is wrong.
The popularity of guacamole suggests she's wrong, though

Cheese popcorn is huge here in Chicago - it's called Chicago mix. It's usually cheese and carmel. Don't knock it till you've tried it, I'd hate go through life smugly dismissing things I'd previously never heard of before
Old May 31st 2016, 5:31 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

I've learned today that bagged cheese popcorn is a thing. That's just weird.
You ain't tried nothing til you've tried Mac n Cheese popcorn... but I bet it's much better if you use Colby

Mac ‘n Cheese Popcorn Recipe

Haven't tried it personally because... and I know I'm going to kick myself for saying this out loud, but... I don't like popcorn
Old May 31st 2016, 7:03 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themadpooper
Seems a certain demographic among Expats just don't like criticism of the old country, however justified it is. I suggest they grow up and get out a bit themselves
I don't think you've quite mastered the talent of criticizing though.

This is one thing about Americans, they're not very good at arguing, they lose patience and then either start screaming illogically or go off in a huff. And they get offended more easily. Maybe New Yorkers can do it but the art of arguing requires you to live in close quarters which is why the British are so good at it.

For some odd reason I came to the conclusion that food must be better in the UK because I missed it, then I went over to the UK for a visit, went into a Tesco's and realized it was pretty much the same stuff we have in Loblaw's here with a few exceptions. Those exceptions being greater availability of fresh food and also, less stuff is frozen, it's refrigerated instead because it doesn't have to travel as far. I went into Loblaw's in Montréal a couple of years ago and it was vastly superior to the ones here, precisely because the food was fresher, had a way better deli.

The reason Whole Foods came into existence is entirely because of the processed crap in regular supermarkets. Hasn't done so well in the UK because there isn't really the same market niche as it is easier to get fresh food in the UK than here or in the US because of the logistics.

But even canned food is better in the UK, compare Heinz canned soup to the crap Campbell's turns out.

These things I find are a matter of relatively small degree but with food you really notice those small degrees, for example I went into a US Wal-Mart the other day and I found myself suddenly very keen to stock up on stuff they don't have up here.

And the US does vary quite massively regionally (and so does Canada), I read recently that Whole Foods and Publix are the highest ranked in customer satisfaction and I agree. Publix is one of the few supermarkets where I find I can actually get everything in one visit. Kroger's is pretty good too especially the Fred Meyer's superstores.
Old May 31st 2016, 7:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The popularity of guacamole suggests she's wrong, though

Cheese popcorn is huge here in Chicago - it's called Chicago mix. It's usually cheese and carmel. Don't knock it till you've tried it, I'd hate go through life smugly dismissing things I'd previously never heard of before
Who was smug? You're very odd. I'm not a fan of popcorn, prefer crisps. Don't get me wrong, if someone cooks up a batch of butter popcorn I'll eat some but given the choice I'll go for crisps. Cheese popcorn sounds unpleasant to me simply because it's already made and in a bag and I should imagine it pongs a bit when you open it and I don't like pre cooked popcorn. Personally, I have no issue with you eating cheese popcorn with American bacon and beetroot or any other weird combo, just don't get shitty with others for not wanting or liking the same. You're very judgemental, not a fan but I don't know you and never will so I couldn't care less really.
Old May 31st 2016, 9:32 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

All you need is a bunch of ripe avocado, tomato, onion, cilantro (coriander), lime/lemon juice and jalapeno - just mash it up and that's proper guacamole
Second that! and would only add that the avocado should be left a bit "chunky", not completely homogenised into a paste (as they tend to do here in Europe). I have a special masher fork that renders the perfect mix of paste and chunks. Few foods sexier than proper fresh guac!
Old May 31st 2016, 10:46 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

This thread...

Old May 31st 2016, 10:47 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Well that's just being sensible...nothing good comes from looking like the poop of the devil, that contains a smaller poop stone.
Originally Posted by amideislas
Second that! and would only add that the avocado should be left a bit "chunky", not completely homogenised into a paste (as they tend to do here in Europe). I have a special masher fork that renders the perfect mix of paste and chunks. Few foods sexier than proper fresh guac!
Avocado - It's baby shit on the half shell.
Old May 31st 2016, 10:50 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Fact: I wasn't ranting at you

More fact: The vast majority of Americans would disagree with you on your dislike of Colby so not to dissimilar to the Expats on this thread getting all defensive about my views on the UK food scene

Now, guac is something the UK just doesn't do right, not even at restaurants and I hope for their sake I don't get more condescending Expats telling me I'm wrong about that. I'm not going to insist you're wrong but again, you're in the vast minority in not liking it. Have you not tried it here? You can even get it made fresh at chains like Chilies and any mid ranging Mexican restaurant will usually make it for you at the table

It's better to make it at home though and very easy to do, here's some I made tonight for taco Tuesday (tradition in my house)
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9ymghvv4.jpg

All you need is a bunch of ripe avocado, tomato, onion, cilantro (coriander), lime/lemon juice and jalapeno - just mash it up and that's proper guacamole

That looks like someone ate it, threw it up and put it back into the bowl.

Maybe Cali would have more water if they stopped growing so many of those awful things. (Over 70 gals of irrigated water per lb.)
Old May 31st 2016, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
You ain't tried nothing til you've tried Mac n Cheese popcorn... but I bet it's much better if you use Colby

Mac ‘n Cheese Popcorn Recipe

Haven't tried it personally because... and I know I'm going to kick myself for saying this out loud, but... I don't like popcorn
No offense to ANYONE but I hate popcorn as well. I also totally loathe peanut butter (which probable means I should be arrested and deported)
Old Jun 1st 2016, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
No offense to ANYONE but I hate popcorn as well.
Well, you are WRONG.

I also totally loathe peanut butter
Oh, wait.. Nope... You are completely correct. Carry on.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 12:16 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived here 10 years over 3 states (so far), got family and friends all over the East Coast and parts of the South, was down in Georgia this Memorial Day weekend just gone visiting some of them in fact. Was in Southern Florida earlier this month visiting others and will back down there vising more for July 4th. Last month I was in San Francisco with work, and will be in Vegas in 2 weeks again with work. I probably get out more than a number of individuals on this forum judging by what I read. Seems a certain demographic among Expats just don't like criticism of the old country, however justified it is. I suggest they grow up and get out a bit themselves
There's getting out, and then there's "getting out". I think you have them mixed up.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 12:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

More fact: The vast majority of Americans would disagree with you on your dislike of Colby so not to dissimilar to the Expats on this thread getting all defensive about my views on the UK food scene

Now, guac is something the UK just doesn't do right, not even at restaurants and I hope for their sake I don't get more condescending Expats telling me I'm wrong about that. I'm not going to insist you're wrong but again, you're in the vast minority in not liking it. Have you not tried it here? You can even get it made fresh at chains like Chilies and any mid ranging Mexican restaurant will usually make it for you at the table
I don't know about that, considering how popular Kraft and Velveeta are, but there you go.

As for guac, whatever. Sure, plenty of options here and it's not all horrid and all sorts of places try to make it fun, but it's avocado's at the end of the day.

The array of hummus, here is much better though.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 12:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I've learned today that bagged cheese popcorn is a thing. That's just weird. Oh and Wintersong doesn't like mashed up avocado regardless of who made it. My daughter doesn't like mashed potato even though I make the best mashed potato in the world, it's that personal choice/preference thing where no one is right and no one is wrong.
Yeah, but some people are wrong for not liking spuds done any particular way, because spuds!
Old Jun 1st 2016, 2:11 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

No offence but you come across as a bit of a little Englander. Ever had a decent burger in America? It was probably made with Colby cheese. Ever had good mac & cheese here? It was probably made with Colby cheese. Ever had or made yourself a grilled cheese sandwich? Try it with Colby

Cheese curds - probably the most famous food to come out of Wisconsin
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6zrbvnl0.jpg

Some of the stuff I saw in Kenosha where the Mars cheese castle is at. I recommend stopping here as it's a local landmark, they must've had 1000s of cheeses and cheese related products
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...pskdf81ukb.jpg

Have one of this before turning your nose up at Wisconsin cheese
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...psx9rnjcze.jpg
I've driven by the Mars Cheese Castle on 94 who knows how many times since I moved here, but I still haven't stopped in. Cheese curds are the dog's bollocks though, the ones they do at the Renaissance Faire in Bristol are really good. Then the Canadians go one further and throw them in with chips and gravy to make Poutine. Lovely.

I'm going to say it though, American cheese is OK. It does the job when it's required. If you're making a burger or a pizza you don't need some poncy artisan bollocks, you want cheesiness and meltiness and that works for me. And when it comes down to it, I can still get Kerrygold Dubliner Irish Cheddar at Walmart if I want a cheese that tastes like what I used to eat in the UK. That way I get the best of both worlds.

I mean, it's one thing to say you don't like it. Big deal, I don't like bananas while billions eat them daily, so WGAF? I can't help but notice that thin vein of food snobbery that always comes out when someone has the audacity to even hint that they might be about to suggest that they like an American food item though, and I ****ing hate that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.