Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How happy are you living in AMERICA?

Old May 19th 2016, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How happy are you living in AMERICA?

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
My eldest is coming back into her own as my social saviour. She's got an internship at an IT company in a swish new "campus". And they can bring families in for lunch, apparently Monday is sushi...

of course it wasn't her that told me and I've yet to convince her that it would be a really good idea -ooooops!! REALLY GOOD IDEA. forgot the emphasis.
Spending time with my 12, although pleasant, is still a bit TOO much like parenting. But my 16 is EXCELLENT company, and can likely be persuaded to come along to philosophy discussions at the Humanist club or some such.
Old May 19th 2016, 4:18 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

PIZZA. Totally a thing* to make you happy in AMERICA.

And in BOLD CAPS no less.

*But it is NOT a damn pie
Old May 19th 2016, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RainyDays
Haha! My kids are 13 and 16 so no chance of making friends at the school gate! And they're not old enough to have a job at a swish It company!

The idea of faking religion made me laugh! But making friends in my 40s is making me think I might have to do something desperate - like take up a sport or 'hobby'! *groan*
Where are you moving to, RD? Will you have any friends or family there as an 'in'?

We used to live in a very Mormon area of Phoenix. This oddly made it easier to make friends, because as soon as any of us heathen alcoholics bumped into each other, we fired up the margarita blender and clung on for dear life.
Old May 19th 2016, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Ooh, I want to play SHOUTING!

Are you a woman in your mid-40s, condemned to live in DULL sprawling suburbs for a good school district but whose kids are USELESSLY too old to generate school-gate friendships, whose resume is HOPELESSLY decades out of date and set in the wrong country, who's ALMOST at the 'faking religion' point of wanting to meet people in your new area, ANY people, even the smug 'look at how good I am' volunteer-y ones?

No?

In that case, I got nuttin'.
Love this. This was my life for few years and then I got a respite for while. Finally found my HAPPY point. Back to child duty next year with GC reaching kindergarten stage but at least I have another 15 months of MY TIME.
Good luck with the lunch dates PF. The young tech people at bazaarvoice were nice but it made me realise how old I was when I was surrounded by over ethusactic youngsters who hadn't been tarnished by life and earn way more than I was ever likely to earn. Indeed is exactly the same, from what I hear

Anyone seen this in the Guardian this morning? Silicon Valley Wives

Last edited by jjmb; May 19th 2016 at 6:00 am. Reason: added a link
Old May 19th 2016, 5:37 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
Love this. This was my life for few years and then I got a respite for while. Finally found my HAPPY point. Back to child duty next year with GC reaching kindergarten stage but at least I have another 15 months of MY TIME.
Good luck with the lunch dates PF. The young tech people at bazaarvoice were nice but it made me realise how old I was when I was surrounded by over ethusactic youngsters who hadn't been tarnished by life and earn way more than I was ever likely to earn. Indeed is exactly the same, from what I hear
yeah well I was kind of hoping that some of the other mums might be brought in with their zimmer frames to keep me company. Yes, I feel that OLD sometimes!!
Old May 19th 2016, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

RainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Where are you moving to, RD? Will you have any friends or family there as an 'in'?

We used to live in a very Mormon area of Phoenix. This oddly made it easier to make friends, because as soon as any of us heathen alcoholics bumped into each other, we fired up the margarita blender and clung on for dear life.
Now I hadn't imagined living in a Mormon area being such an advantage for meeting people! But I see what you're saying

I'm headed to North west Florida. I won't know anyone there except one lovely family (with much younger kids than mine) we met when we went out to look at houses/schools. We'll be in a good school district but with very poor walkability. Once I get my teaching credentials certified in Florida and I start work, i'm sure it'll be fine, but I do have visions of long days at home in a zombie quiet suburb while the kids are at school for the first few months!
Old May 19th 2016, 5:46 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
oh that makes me so HAPPY!

just tell me you'll be here forever and I'll be ECSTATIC!
I'm going back and forth.

Old May 19th 2016, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 19th 2016, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RainyDays
a zombie quiet suburb
I referred to our suburb in AZ so often as 'Shaun of the Dead' that I finally had to show my son the film.

I also showed the kids Stepford Wives, but only after we moved from there and they couldn't be openly mocking about the neighbors, potentially in their hearing. None of them would understand the first reference - very Brit culture niche, and R rated when they're not permitted to watch over a PG - but 'very Stepford' is fairly widely understood as an insult.
Old May 19th 2016, 6:12 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
Bit sexist.

My landlord was the accompanying indian spouse who stayed at home.

Saying that, Airbus wives in Toulouse were a terrifying bunch. Especially when they put all their managerial/accountancy/general I'm the boss skills to work on the mums and tots committee.
Old May 19th 2016, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK2toUSA
Hi All,

One more odd post from me. Would like to know your views on -

While replying to the post please ignore the factors below

•USA is a VAST country and it varies where you live in USA but please response overall in general.

•Kindly ignore the factors like
* Missing family & friends.
* NHS.
* BBC, TV soaps, Football.
* Fish and Chips.

With your response I want to know how happy are you living in USA and was it a right decision to cross the pond.

Thanks
Yes I am happy. Except when I am not. Luckily I am more happy than not. I am particularly happy when I get to piss off people by going to the beach and posting photos to my FB when I know it is raining in the UK.

My kids are also too old for the school gate thing, but my daughter wants to do everything (sports/activities) so I meet people that way.

So, I am happy about living here and miss very little. (Except chocolate)

ooops, I forgot the caps.

I LIKE LIVING IN AMERICA.
Old May 19th 2016, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

The comments are quite naturally outraged at the colossal FWP-ness of it all. I'm not surprised - it's one thing us having an occasional moan on here among people in similar situations, but it's breathtakingly entitled to do an article in an international newspaper telling the whole world how terribly unfulfilling it is to live in one of the world's top cities with absolutely no money worries and oodles of free time, trying to decide if you get more satisfaction from cookery classes or tennis. Even I'M not feeling very sympathetic towards them! (Plus the 'reduced to housewives' comment made me wince - they might be a bit happier if they didn't so enthusiastically disparage and belittle their current role.)

Last edited by kodokan; May 19th 2016 at 6:32 am.
Old May 19th 2016, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy if I get a big fat tax rebate, not so happy if I have a negative rebate.
I am happy that I can afford to buy good food from expensive overpriced grocery stores.
I am happy that I can find a parking space within 30 seconds of entering the car park.
Old May 19th 2016, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mrken30
I'm happy if I get a big fat tax rebate, not so happy if I have a negative rebate.
I am happy that I can afford to buy good food from expensive overpriced grocery stores.
I am happy that I can find a parking space within 30 seconds of entering the car park.
I'm exactly the other way round on the tax rebate - getting a large amount back means I didn't finesse it well enough during the year. 2015 was a financial mess, with some months of unemployment, and changing states, and moving HSA accounts, and selling shares for the first time, and a large payment into the 401k in December upon becoming eligible, and being on Obamacare, etc etc... I had to let it go and wait for it all to come out in the wash and sure, it generated a big tax rebate, but it was still irksome. It makes me feel like I've leveled down in tax gameification

With you on the parking though, absolutely. I'm back in the UK this summer, and will be getting the smallest possible rental car and using public transport whenever possible.
Old May 19th 2016, 7:43 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

I like America because BIG is good here. I get big sized meals in restaurants and if I have to leave some of it at least I don't leave the restaurant feeling like I didn't get enough to feed a goony bird. I like having a big diesel pick up which rides as well as any passenger car or SUV and diesel is cheap and the MPG hard to beat. I like the big parking spots to park the big pick up in and I like the careful consideration I get from other drivers not to scratch or dent the bodywork when they park next to me. (in my neck of the woods anyway)
I like the big open empty spaces of the deserts with the mountain scenery.

I'm not a big guy but I like room to breath

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.